NEWS: TV sales in Europe could fall up to 40 percent in Q2

The (soon to be delayed?) launch of the PS5 and XBox X is not going to help sales of TV's which don't support HDMI 2.1 features such as Variable Refresh Rate and Auto Low Latency Mode.

Pushing back availability / support for HDMI 2.1 until 2022 is not really on option unless you want to hand that market over to the likes of LG who did actually bother to offer that as part of their 2019/2020 range.

Some marketing departments strategy to get people to buy a new TV every year by holding back features could be about to bite them very hard on the balance sheet.

if you were going to buy the latest TV for the Euros and the Olympics you will no doubt skip this years new models and wait for the 2021 versions

Talk of the 2020 models lasting 18-24 months meaning 2021 may not see the annual refresh we are currently used to.

The (soon to be delayed?) launch of the PS5 and XBox X
Where did you hear that? The only things I have seen related to PS5 launch are that they will have limited units on release and they are expecting a global release on the same date.
Production in China is already returning to normal levels and PS5 is still not being produced, they will likely start in the middle of summer or even a bit later. Don't see a reason for delays, only limited production because of memory prices being so high.

Where did you hear that? The only things I have seen related to PS5 launch are that they will have limited units on release and they are expecting a global release on the same date.
Production in China is already returning to normal levels and PS5 is still not being produced, they will likely start in the middle of summer or even a bit later. Don't see a reason for delays, only limited production because of memory prices being so high.

From your post, "limited units on release" and "PS5 is still not being produced" pretty much sums up the reasons why the launch will inevitibly be delayed given the current circumstances.

All the manufacturing supply, distribution and retail sale chains have been disrupted and there is no clear way out of the situation for some time, possibly not until next year.

There may be an extremely soft launch with a handful of consoles available so that the marketing department can avoid the embaressment and/or contractual consequences of actualy canceling or delaying the launch.

This news article itself cites that the same manufacturers are already scaling back production targets and considering suspending new product lines for the very same reasons.

Don't forget that a lot of people may not have money for such discretionary purchases and may be more worried about paying for food, medical supplies and the rent/mortgage.

From your post, "limited units on release" and "PS5 is still not being produced" pretty much sums up the reasons why the launch will inevitibly be delayed given the current circumstances.

All the manufacturing supply, distribution and retail sale chains have been disrupted and there is no clear way out of the situation for some time, possibly not until next year.

There may be an extremely soft launch with a handful of consoles available so that the marketing department can avoid the embaressment and/or contractual consequences of actualy canceling or delaying the launch.

This news article itself cites that the same manufacturers are already scaling back production targets and considering suspending new product lines for the very same reasons.

Don't forget that a lot of people may not have money for such discretionary purchases and may be more worried about paying for food, medical supplies and the rent/mortgage.
It's not supposed to be produced yet. That's why I think that there will be no delay, production is only supposed to start after the virus.
And limited amount on launch is purely because of the fact that the console is more expensive to make since memory prices are high and they want to limit the loss.

Quotes the AV Forum interview and speculates that 2020 models will carry over into 2021. I do wonder whether the decision of certain brands to hold off HDMI 2.1 until next year will come back to bite them hard if the nextgen consoles launch as planned.

Quotes the AV Forum interview and speculates that 2020 models will carry over into 2021. I do wonder whether the decision of certain brands to hold off HDMI 2.1 until next year will come back to bite them hard if the nextgen consoles launch as planned.

I'm sure it will. In the forums I've read "does x TV support HDMI 2.1/VRR" is a common question. The most surprising is that SONY itself does not support HDMI 2.1 on most of their new 2020 TVs.

I wonder if Sony were planning to do their usual trick of releasing high end sets (A9 vs A8) at IFA rather than CES.

Will there be lots of old models going cheap soon then?

Online retailers and currys have massive stickpiles. High end tvs aren't selling well. All end of year release have been put on holdTo clear stock

Yet in another news article, it says there will be a post pandemic boom in sales of high end OLED? If anything, won't people be looking for the best TV they can get at the budget end of the market?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom