Quantcast

NEWS: TV panel prices to increase in short term

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
There’ll be no Euro 2020 or Olympics.

And not many people buying new stuff at all I’d imagine.

Rockets

The hope is that economic downturn is short term but no one really knows and the analysts will freely admit it on the current situation.

I imagine the real test on panel prices will be how short the downturn will be or whether it turns into a full on global recession and if it does how long that lasts.

I suspect the shoe could be on the other foot depending how things progress, suddenly panel manufacturers would have to slash prices to entice the manufacturers to buy them.

GT One

Standard Member
Logic tells me that consumer spending will decrease further in the coming months, electronics franchise stores will not want to hold onto new stock waiting for the market to pick up, so manufacturers will need to bring in some stimulus of their own to empty warehouses for new shipments of product.
Shopping centres are already looking empty in Australia, the retail industry was slow before COVID-19.
I suspect this is going to be a bad year for LG and Samsung with their debt and Panasonic could end manufacturing TV's.

maverick177uk

Distinguished Member
Cheap OLED here I come

PaulDavidThomas

Due to market uncertainty I can only see the price of goods that are ‘luxury’ dropping in price. Who’s buying stuff when the media is playing all of this virus / economic stuff up.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Due to market uncertainty I can only see the price of goods that are ‘luxury’ dropping in price. Who’s buying stuff when the media is playing all of this virus / economic stuff up.
Agree and I am sure they will sell well if they offered 100 loo rolls for free....

GadgetObsessed

But price is driven by both supply and demand. If supply is down then the price could still rise even if the demand side is also weak. It depends what is reduced more - demand or supply. Personally, I wonder if more people will consider upgrading their TV becasue they expect to be spending a lot more time at home in the near future. (I know that is the situation that I am in with only half the office going in each week.)

Rockets

But price is driven by both supply and demand. If supply is down then the price could still rise even if the demand side is also weak. It depends what is reduced more - demand or supply. Personally, I wonder if more people will consider upgrading their TV becasue they expect to be spending a lot more time at home in the near future. (I know that is the situation that I am in with only half the office going in each week.)
But then what are the workers and the production lines going to do sit around? Basically everyone will want to hit their targets still and something will give. Short term I'm not surprised with the price increase but if these panel manufactures don't move the panels long term the situation will change.

At the moment the panel manufacturers have woken up to high demand and yet difficulties in production meeting this demand.

Fast forward a couple of months and say there is not the demand for the actual tv's and production of panels has well and truly caught up a whole different story will emerge.

maverick177uk

Distinguished Member

Cheshire Cat

Standard Member
Given current global conditions, putting up prices is the last thing that manufacturers should be doing and that retailers will want.

JamesOliver

Standard Member
Overall the world market-facing uncertainty condition and prices will fall down more if the situation remains the same.

It's hard to imagine prices rising in this sort of environment. Unless we get into a WWII scenario where government spending is overstimulating the economy, causing serious inflation.

The article is predicated on guess work. As Paul said, it's likely major sporting events will continue to be cancelled through summer. I suppose there's a possibility Covid-19 will blow through in a few months and the world be in rapid-recovery mode. That's among the range of possibilities. So is long-term economic downturn.

Last edited:

Trending threads

Top Bottom