NEWS: TV licence fee now applies to over 75s from 1st Aug

I'm sure that the over 75s will delighted to pay for the continued privilege of watching yoof-orientated programming and endless repeats. Bargain!

There is very little to recommend the television licence these days, for those who have been exempt they have to decide is it worth the cost when balanced against the meagre state pension.

Glad I cancelled mine years ago.

Me to, only been knocked on once and just shut the door in the inspectors face. He then stood knocking, talking loudly and shouting through my letterbox for about 10 minutes. Thing is I honestly do not watch any BBC or live broadcasts, not even sports so I don't require a license. It's about time they become a subscription channel on Amazon or Sky or whatever.

Yes, though while clobbering the BBC, best to remember it was the govt's decision to withdraw OAPs free TV licences. And it was... *All anti-BBCers now make a mad scramble for search engine of choice*

They clobbered care homes yesterday, and now the BBC today. I wonder who their next target will be that were responsible for?

Well, I went to cancel mine too but when I read into it, if you stream any live events - on YouTube or NowTV such as the footie - then you need a TV licence. It doesn't matter what you are watching, what you are watching it on, if its a live event then you need a TV licence. So, to just playback how totally immoral this is: I boot up my Win10 PC, I use my EE broadband connection to access Google's YouTube service to watch a Live stream from Space X on the crew dragon launch. The BBC play absolutely no part in either the production nor the broadcast of any of that. And yet they claim that they should be paid (by proxy of the TV licence) for me doing so.

As per the TV Licensing website:

A complete disgrace... how many people are now at risk of being prosecuted because they've added in this all-encompassing criteria?

I cannot remember the last time I watched any BBC production. The TV licence isn't an option: it's a tax on the nation to prop up a public service that has lost its way.

Yes, though while clobbering the BBC, best to remember it was the govt's decision to withdraw OAPs free TV licences. And it was... *All anti-BBCers now make a mad scramble for search engine of choice*

They clobbered care homes yesterday, and now the BBC today. I wonder who their next target will be that were responsible for?
So those with no agendas but to be classed as anti BBC if the disagree with there polices, like wise by the same logic those supporting it can be classed as pro BBC or even working for them?

Yes it yoof based look at the channels on there BBC player apart from across the board stuff there more yoof stuff they end there Radio catch up limiting it to Radio One, no Radio Two and that's not especially aimed at over 75s

Well, I went to cancel mine too but when I read into it, if you stream any live events - on YouTube or NowTV such as the footie - then you need a TV licence. It doesn't matter what you are watching, what you are watching it on, if its a live event then you need a TV licence. So, to just playback how totally immoral this is: I boot up my Win10 PC, I use my EE broadband connection to access Google's YouTube service to watch a Live stream from Space X on the crew dragon launch. The BBC play absolutely no part in either the production nor the broadcast of any of that. And yet they claim that they should be paid (by proxy of the TV licence) for me doing so.

You bring up an excellent point, but I feel I need to clarify something you have said, to the best of my knowledge and understanding.

You are quite correct in the sweeping statement they make about a licence required for any live TV streaming.
However, my understanding is, in actual real-world reality this only applies to live broadcasts that come from a company who's role/job? is to show live TV programming.
It does not apply to live single events from companies that have nothing to do with content delivery for their actual business.

So, things like a twice yearly Apple Live Stream of an Apple Event, or the same from Google, Samsung, SpaceX would be the same. They are not a content provider, and whilst one could say it's a Live Program, it's not something anyone would class as a Live TV Show/program when it came to any law/prosecution.

The same would apply to say me, live streaming on YouTube for a hour. I'm not a Live TV Channel.
No one is going to suggest for example you need a TV Licence to use Skype or Facetime to chat with friends/family, as again, you ARE streaming and watching Live Video.
But it's not coming from a actual TV content provider.

The BBC's sweeping statement about ANY live broadcast is like a GIANT brush that attempts to sweep over something. And should be more detailed as in above examples.

If you watch Live Football on TVNow for example then yes, that's content from a official/proper content provider.
If you watch Live Football on Facetime of your granny in her knickers kicking a ball around her back garden, then you don't need a licence as that's not a official/proper content provider.

Note: This is my common sense understanding of the reality of the current situation.

If anyone disagrees/feels I'm wrong, then please say so :)

Perhaps if they didn't pay such high salaries to the so called celebrities like Jonathon Ross ( 18 million a year ) they may get more respect.

If you watch Live Football on Facetime of your granny in her knickers kicking a ball around her back garden, then you don't need a licence as that's not a official/proper content provider.

You may not need a TV licence for that... but some sort of therapy may be in order...??? ;)

I think it's perfectly reasonable. The over 75s watch more BBC programming than any other age group (my parents watch it constantly). The majority of over 75s have paid off the mortgages and enjoy financial security that many young people do not.

As long as it's means-tested, so those older people unable to pay are still able to continue to access it for free - I don't have any problem with it.

I have some issues with the BBC, but cost isn't one of them.

Regards,
James.

You may not need a TV licence for that... but some sort of therapy may be in order...??? ;)

75a2e87346f994384ee0a44e9d60a9bc.png

The whole TV license thing is a disgrace. I cancelled Sky last month and it went off air on the 4th July. Went to cancel the TV License as I won't be watching any "normal" TV anymore (Netflix and Blu rays for me) and the whole thing just stinks.

Followed the advice on the official website to fill in and submit their contact form stating why I'm cancelling etc. Cancelled the direct debit (paying quarterly) per the instructions and then just waiting for the current license to expire 15th July. I then get an email the other day stating that I've canceled my direct debit and that I must setup/fix a payment method right now or they might be forced to send debt collectors!!

I can't even fill in the form to state I no longer need a license as it simply won't allow it as I currently still hold a license until the 15th.

A complete joke and the way their website and emails read they really try to scaremonger people into paying it.

I think it's perfectly reasonable. The over 75s watch more BBC programming than any other age group (my parents watch it constantly). The majority of over 75s have paid off the mortgages and enjoy financial security that many young people do not.

As long as it's means-tested, so those older people unable to pay are still able to continue to access it for free - I don't have any problem with it.

I have some issues with the BBC, but cost isn't one of them.

Regards,
James.

Completely agree and I'm one of the over 75's with paid off mortgage and complete financial security.

No problem whatsoever with the BBC Licence mostly as it stands.
You watch the BBC/content then you pay for the licence.
You don't watch it, you tell them, and you don't pay then any money.

Only grumble is, and will always be that if I watch say TV Russia News Live, beamed direct from russia to my dish, then I need to pay the BBC for some bizarre reason

This is a good move for those of us who despise the BBC and want to see the license fee gone.
1. Another big wave of cancellations
2. Another group angry at the BBC for this tax

Pensioners are the BBC's holdout, I wonder how long they'll continue to support the BBC with their own money.

Has anyone else been surprised by how fast the BBC has adopted this 'woke' far left nonsense? Their front page news site looks like a SJW propaganda page these days.

No problem whatsoever with the BBC Licence mostly as it stands.
You watch the BBC/content then you pay for the licence.
You don't watch it, you tell them, and you don't pay then any money.

Only grumble is, and will always be that if I watch say TV Russia News Live, beamed direct from russia to my dish, then I need to pay the BBC for some bizarre reason

What about the BBC's tactics of using Captia to harass and threaten people who do not pay for the licence fee? Capita have been caught time and time again making stuff up and fabricating reports to 'catch' people. It's criminal but because it's the BBC they get away with these scummy tactics.

Also that 'grumble' is a pretty massive complaint of many.

What about the BBC's tactics of using Captia to harass and threaten people who do not pay for the licence fee? Capita have been caught time and time again making stuff up and fabricating reports to 'catch' people. It's criminal but because it's the BBC they get away with these scummy tactics.

Also that 'grumble' is a pretty massive complaint of many.

Yes 100% agree about this.
I never know, as I hear stories of people having zero issues, they filled out the form, perhaps get 1 letter a year, and that was that.
Other people have a ton of grief.
Mind you, some people do bring trouble onto themselves as they refuse to fill out any form to tell the BBC they don't watch it, and just seem to take joy in all the trouble and posting on Youtube.

I will admit, I'm still unsure about what path to take.
If they come round to check, just be difficult and say, can't come in and ignore them (which whilst totally within your right, it kinda just feels like you have something you are hiding and don't want them see)
Or let them in, offer them a tea/coffee, be super friendly, explain you don't watch Live TV, show them you took down your TV antenna's and have no arial leads where your TV is.

Logically being friendly, open, and showing them nothing to see here, feels like they would go away and leave you in peace as opposed to looking guilty by shutting the door in their face.

But perhaps I'm just a naive idiot on this one.

Wrong Osborne made an agreement with the bbc that if they covered the over 75s licence fee they could increase the fee for years to come, the bbc have renaged on the deal and have been increasing the licence fee But will be refusing to stop charging the over 75s.

Attachments

• 83035860-537C-46F8-8DE7-FC8EB6D92519.png
    83035860-537C-46F8-8DE7-FC8EB6D92519.png
    606.3 KB · Views: 126
So those with no agendas but to be classed as anti BBC if the disagree with there polices, like wise by the same logic those supporting it can be classed as pro BBC or even working for them?

Why no, sorry. I haven't pigeon-holed anybody, but you've tried to.

Do you have a link for that outrageous bizarre statement?
There is nothing outrageous or bizarre about it go on the government.uk website and read the BBC promised to cover the cost of over 75’s TV licence in agreement with that then Chancellor George Osborne on the understanding that they the BBC could carry on putting up the license fee this is a fact.

Why no, sorry. I haven't pigeon-holed anybody, but you've tried to.
No you took it I tried to which I haven't I was just reversing your comment how it applied the other way round..
First post on the subject and rather than entitling anyone having a difference of opinion immediately imply posters with anti BBC agendas.
BTW if you search far enough back you find I been a supporter of the TV licence, in fact I still do, although in this case not for the over 75s nor a lot of there decisions over the recent years.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom