NEWS: Tidal brings Dolby Atmos Music to home cinema setups

Yeah found it, who knew... I'm sure there are loads of things my amp is capable of that I've never used, it's a bloody nightmare setting it up right and tweaking all the settings..
Good man. I never knew about that setting until recently through the knowledge of the good folk on here. It's meant I'm using the amp for streaming music more than I was previously as it now sounds better.

I still like using the Limetree with the hi-fi too so I'm lucky to have two good options.

When I'm watching non Atmos/ DTS X films I use either of the upmixers, I.e. Dolby Surround or Neural X. These can be selected with the movie button while the film is playing.

Last edited:
I have managed to get it working this evening using my Nvidia Shield (not 2019 version) which is not meant to be supported, but still can’t get it working on the Firestick v2 which is meant to be supported. Very strange, but at least I can get it now and will give it a good listen over the next few days.

Working here on my Nvidia Shield with the latest update to the Tidal App. I find it very quiet and have to turn up a decent amount to get it at a reasonable volume.

From what my Receiver is telling me it is a DD+ signal that is carrying the Atmos data. Any ideas what sample rate Tidal are using?

To be honest, doesn't sound great in my view. The stereo equivalents sound much better to me. I am using the same front speakers in stereo and surround modes as well. Might just be me after many years of listening to music in 2 channel.

Working here on my Nvidia Shield with the latest update to the Tidal App. I find it very quiet and have to turn up a decent amount to get it at a reasonable volume.

From what my Receiver is telling me it is a DD+ signal that is carrying the Atmos data. Any ideas what sample rate Tidal are using?

To be honest, doesn't sound great in my view. The stereo equivalents sound much better to me. I am using the same front speakers in stereo and surround modes as well. Might just be me after many years of listening to music in 2 channel.
Well you do have a pretty impressive stereo set-up. No multi channel amp this side of reasonable money, is ever going to match the quality of your Naim gear, even with Atmos!

It does sound tremendous, I hope they start making a greater variety of music available. I did listen the Nora Jones classic "Come away with me" and it was breathtaking.

It seems it needed a software update for Atmos to work on my firetv, sometime during the week that must have happened and now it works fine.

Just tried the Tidal App on my Sony XE93 and surprisingly I'm getting Dolby Atmos via my Denon AVR, I didn't think that was possible unless the TV Supported EARC.

So far with the limited collection it sounds pretty good, although the volume is quite low in comparison to none Atmos tracks.

I pay about £3.50 a month for tidal family hifi as I live in Turkey (honest 😉 )

I signed up for a £4 trial and I've found it to be OK, some of the tracks are better than others. I thought the Nora Jones album and Nelly Furtado were excellent, REM Automatic for the People and the Classical albums I tested much less so.

It doesn't add up to £20 per month value to me personally over Spotify, however if I "moved to Turkey" via VPN I might consider it for £3.50 a month if they expanded their library a bit, I find Tidal really lacking in the variety and number of tracks compared to Spotify, even though they are of a higher quality.

Good man. I never knew about that setting until recently through the knowledge of the good folk on here. It's meant I'm using the amp for streaming music more than I was previously as it now sounds better.

I still like using the Limetree with the hi-fi too so I'm lucky to have two good options.

When I'm watching non Atmos/ DTS X films I use either of the upmixers, I.e. Dolby Surround or Neural X. These can be selected with the movie button while the film is playing.

I assume it's a good idea to switch things like dynamic volume off when listening to music? Just a bit of a pain having to go in and do that everytime I use the tidal app on my TV and then put it back on when I watch Netflix or Amazon Prime. I find dynamic volume works well to reduce the overall volume I need to watch movies / netflix content at as it makes dialogue a lot clearer at lower volumes but I feel like dynamic volume gets in the way with music , you can hear it reduce the level of drums for example.

I assume it's a good idea to switch things like dynamic volume off when listening to music? Just a bit of a pain having to go in and do that everytime I use the tidal app on my TV and then put it back on when I watch Netflix or Amazon Prime. I find dynamic volume works well to reduce the overall volume I need to watch movies / netflix content at as it makes dialogue a lot clearer at lower volumes but I feel like dynamic volume gets in the way with music , you can hear it reduce the level of drums for example.
I think I usually have that off all the time as children asleep or neighbours aren't a problem.

Been trying to find the best configuration for listening to tidal music including this new Atmos content and gone with connecting my firestick direct to my Denon receiver , that way I can a) configure the audio settings specifically for the input concerned b) increase the source level for that input which really helps with the fairly low volume Atmos stuff
I like to use dynamic volume for TV / movie watching but it's not ideal with music so by using a seperate input I can set dynamic volume off and leave it like that as I'm only using the firestick for tidal really, use native TV apps for prime video and netflix etc.

Sounds bloody amazing I have to say 👍

I'm new to Tidal, taking advantage of the £3 deal.

I've also immediately noticed volume being low especially in regards to atmos. I hate to say it but I didn't rate it at all.

Probably a daft question but where are the listening settings as even they aren't obvious.
I'm also listening via shield.
All I see is the interface with all the artists and genres, no settings.

I'm having to crank the volume up to the limit I set at -10db which normally i wouldn't get near when listening via Google play music.

Appreciate volume isn't the be all but some of it would be nice.

Edit: The only settings options I see via shield is for quality. Master, Hifi ect.

Another edit: ok found settings but aside from quality volume normalization is the only thing obvious to try.

I'll give amazon hd a try after this trial is over. At this early stage it's not worth £20 a month.

Last edited:
I'm new to Tidal, taking advantage of the £3 deal.

I've also immediately noticed volume being low especially in regards to atmos. I hate to say it but I didn't rate it at all.

Probably a daft question but where are the listening settings as even they aren't obvious.
I'm also listening via shield.
All I see is the interface with all the artists and genres, no settings.

I'm having to crank the volume up to the limit I set at -10db which normally i wouldn't get near when listening via Google play music.

Appreciate volume isn't the be all but some of it would be nice.

Edit: The only settings options I see via shield is for quality. Master, Hifi ect.

Another edit: ok found settings but aside from quality volume normalization is the only thing obvious to try.

I'll give amazon hd a try after this trial is over. At this early stage it's not worth £20 a month.
Tidal in itself is good enough service. Not much between it and Qobuz for High Quality streaming (leaving MQA aside), I just did not find the Atmos experience via Tidal compelling at all.

I had high hopes and expectations for it, but I personally was disappointed in it. I still have my Tidal subscription for the Hi Res streaming, but Atmos is not a selling point for me on the service.

I've got Dolby Atmos Music working on Apple TV 4K and Nvidia Shield 2017 connected to a Marantz SR 7011 but not on the Firestick 4K which is connected to HDMI in of an Oppo 203 which was a workaround to get Jack Ryan in Atmos when i didnt have a 4K TV. I will try the Firestick directly connected to the Marantz to see if that works. I am still impressed with Dolby Atmos Music so far but that £20/ month is not sustainable.

Another Shield owner who's given this a punt at £3. Whilst atmos music can be fairly impressive, I'm suffering from terribly low volumes too, is there any solution for this?

Track selection will need to rapidly increase over the next 3 months before I put down £30 a month for a family plan that I would need, that's for sure.

I have to say I'm hugely impressed with the new Kraftwerk 3D album, its the best demo reference material for Atmos that I've heard yet. They've used the sound placement extensively and I think it suits their music really well, it has sounds swirling around you, above you, talking all around you, really accurate sound placement, some nice wall shaking LFE, I think it really adds something extra to their tracks. The News Intermission track in particular has it all with 3D sound and lots of overhead effects.

I've got Dolby Atmos Music working on Apple TV 4K and Nvidia Shield 2017 connected to a Marantz SR 7011 but not on the Firestick 4K which is connected to HDMI in of an Oppo 203 which was a workaround to get Jack Ryan in Atmos when i didnt have a 4K TV. I will try the Firestick directly connected to the Marantz to see if that works. I am still impressed with Dolby Atmos Music so far but that £20/ month is not sustainable.
Connecting the FireTV stick 4K directly to the Marantz SR 7011 ATmos works ok on Tidal. Reconnecting back to HDMI In on the Oppo 203 Atmos on Tidal still working. Must have been a strange HDMI handshake problem with the Tidal App.

I have to say I'm hugely impressed with the new Kraftwerk 3D album, its the best demo reference material for Atmos that I've heard yet. They've used the sound placement extensively and I think it suits their music really well, it has sounds swirling around you, above you, talking all around you, really accurate sound placement, some nice wall shaking LFE, I think it really adds something extra to their tracks. The News Intermission track in particular has it all with 3D sound and lots of overhead effects.
I will have to give that a listen. your description sounds good

Installed the Tidal app on my 2017 Nvidia Shield earlier and played some Atmos tracks. As already mentioned, the volume is very low, so I cranked it up. I then decided to play a normal non-atmos track and I almost blew my ear drums out! I'll send Tidal an email about this because the same happened on my Fire TV stick when I tried that afterwards.

I will have to give that a listen. your description sounds good

The more time I spend listening to the whole album, the more impressed I am, they've really gone to town on the 3D effects, and I think it suits their music really well.

One particular song that sounded bad was Sunflower Post Malone (Fire TV stick). The Stereo version sounded better IMO.

Hans Zimmer Live In Prague Atmos Blu-ray still remains the undisputed king for me.

Reply from Tidal regarding the volume being low

"Thank you for contacting support at TIDAL.

My name is Andrea and I'd be happy to help any way I can with your account. I do apologize for any inconvenience that you may have faced in low volume while playing Dolby.

The issue is on Dolby's end, and we are currently working with them to increase the volume "DB", so hopefully it should be resolved this week."

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom