NEWS: Tidal brings Dolby Atmos Music to home cinema setups

I use the same front left and right speakers for both my Arcam Avr850 and my Naim.

The Tidal Dolby Atmos on my Apple 4k through the Arcam is pretty poor in comparison to running the same songs through the Naim. My speakers might as well have muffles on them.

I'm sure it'll get better and the odd track like The Doors Riders on the Storm Atmos effects work well but honestly I'm not at all impressed.

I
image.jpg

Looking some help here. I have just accepted a free trial for tidal, and am currently trying to get Atmos sound via tidal app on 4K ATV to arcam 550 AVR. ATV connected to Arcam via hdmi which in turn is connected via HDMI ARC to lg77cxoled, but I cannot play Atmos to my setup. Arcam returns 2.0 lpcm? Probably missing something obvious.

If any of you have Amazon Prime. It has a 4K HDR concert by Katie Mellua in Dolby Atmos,
I can only get stereo with this 4k UHD Amazon Prime concert using the Prime app on both my LG OLED TV and my 4k Firestick. What device are you using Graham? Thanks.

I can only get stereo with this 4k UHD Amazon Prime concert using the Prime app on both my LG OLED TV and my 4k Firestick. What device are you using Graham? Thanks.

4K firestick connected to one input on my Denon AVR-X7200-WA. Video output to 55" LGC9 using a optical 18gbps HDMI cable. I will get a screen shot from my AVR info display tomorrow.

Check the firestick has the latest firmware. And that your avr is set to send only video to the TV and audio to it's connected speakers.

Here's the info from Disney+ playing back Aladdin before they locked down using a VPN. The info from prime is the same.

Attachments

• aladdin-4K-audio.jpg
    aladdin-4K-audio.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 115
I pay about £3.50 a month for tidal family hifi as I live in Turkey (honest 😉 )

Faulty memory - Its DD+ but only in Stereo.

Faulty memory - Its DD+ but only in Stereo.
Thanks for replying. If you do a search for Dolby Atmos on the Prime app, this concert along with one for Texas band shows as supposedly being Dolby Atmos. Maybe they reduced the bandwidth on purpose cos of COVID-19?

Should the Atmos flag show on the AVR?
Tidal on the 4K Firestick has had the supposedly required 2.26 update and I'm not getting the 'This device does not support Dolby Atmos' message anymore.
It sounds great but no Atmos flag on AVR? Tried stick directly into AVR and In LGc9 port using eARC. Info on the LG says Dolby Audio.
Just checked source info and it says DD+ signal, input 2 channel. So I am listening to stereo upmixed. Sounds great but not Atmos????

Last edited:
Which amp mode to people tend to listen to non Atmos music in , just stereo or DTS neural x or something else?
And this is probably a daft question but how do you skip to the next track when playing an album on tidal on the ATV 4k? Can't find any way to do it using the atv remote

Dolby Surround up mixer with centre channel spread engaged on the Denon.

OK, so I have now got the updated Tidal software v2.26 for the Firestick and that has got rid of the warning message which states that the Hardware cannot play Dolby Atmos. However, the music still plays over 2 channels and is not getting the Atmos signal.

I was quite surprised in the first place that the Firestick v2 (Not 4k) was one of the devices which is meant to be compatible. I am not sure that it is capable of Dolby Atmos. I cant get Atmos using the stick on other Apps (Netflix etc) and it looks like Amazons own description would indicate that it is only capable of 'Dolby Audio' when the 4k Stick and Cube can deliver 'Dolby Atmos'. Is this an error?
1591170033277.png

OK, so I have now got the updated Tidal software v2.26 for the Firestick and that has got rid of the warning message which states that the Hardware cannot play Dolby Atmos. However, the music still plays over 2 channels and is not getting the Atmos signal.

I was quite surprised in the first place that the Firestick v2 (Not 4k) was one of the devices which is meant to be compatible. I am not sure that it is capable of Dolby Atmos. I cant get Atmos using the stick on other Apps (Netflix etc) and it looks like Amazons own description would indicate that it is only capable of 'Dolby Audio' when the 4k Stick and Cube can deliver 'Dolby Atmos'. Is this an error?View attachment 1311137

Can I ask an obvious question, you are seeing/playing content that's specifically marked as Dolby Atmos music aren't you? There are Atmos playlists and a line of Atmos tracks on my atv 4k tidal interface , unless you're seeing / playing those you won't get Atmos. Sorry if that's a really daft question but I had to ask

Dolby Surround up mixer with centre channel spread engaged on the Denon.

Never heard of centre channel spread so I assume it's something specific to higher models up the chain than my lowly avrx2200w...

Never heard of centre channel spread so I assume it's something specific to higher models up the chain than my lowly avrx2200w...
It's available as an option on my avr-x2300 when Dolby surround is engaged. Try under audio setting band then sound parameters.

Can I ask an obvious question, you are seeing/playing content that's specifically marked as Dolby Atmos music aren't you? There are Atmos playlists and a line of Atmos tracks on my atv 4k tidal interface , unless you're seeing / playing those you won't get Atmos. Sorry if that's a really daft question but I had to ask
Its fine to ask - Yes I am finding the the Atmos content through the playlists and I can see the Dolby sign against the tracks. I have also tried both using the stick in the TV and directly into the AVR. I think the stick is the issue.

Can confirm as of 29th of May 2019 Shield TV update, Atmos is working well. Volume in my cinema room on AVR using apple is quite low, but playing in the living room on Samsung soundbar via Shield volume is actually just slightly quieter than usual.

AT LAST! This morning my 4k Firestick is playing Tidal Dolby Atmos. It wasn't yesterday so there must have been an overnight update to the Tidal app as the 4k Firestick is still the same at OS 6.2.7.1. Unfortunately I didn't check what the Tidal version was yesterday but can confirm that today it is v 2.26.1. Sound is quite impressive too although some tracks obviously better than others. No problem with sound volume with my setup, which is Firestick connected directly to Onkyo TX-NR686 av.

Got my issue sorted by updating the tidal app on the atv .... yes I was being daft. A lot quieter, and still on the fence vs stereo.

AT LAST! This morning my 4k Firestick is playing Tidal Dolby Atmos. It wasn't yesterday so there must have been an overnight update to the Tidal app as the 4k Firestick is still the same at OS 6.2.7.1. Unfortunately I didn't check what the Tidal version was yesterday but can confirm that today it is v 2.26.1. Sound is quite impressive too although some tracks obviously better than others. No problem with sound volume with my setup, which is Firestick connected directly to Onkyo TX-NR686 av.
Does the Atmos flag show up on your AVR?

It's available as an option on my avr-x2300 when Dolby surround is engaged. Try under audio setting band then sound parameters.

Yeah found it, who knew... I'm sure there are loads of things my amp is capable of that I've never used, it's a bloody nightmare setting it up right and tweaking all the settings..

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom