NEWS: Tidal brings Dolby Atmos Music to home cinema setups

If any of you have Amazon Prime. It has a 4K HDR concert by Katie Mellua in Dolby Atmos,

@laingamer @FergieB

On LG oled to turn off screen and pass audio

On remote hold Mic button and say "screen off"

Just reached the end of my 5 month promotion from Tidal for £5, i have been unlucky with testing Dolby Atmos Music during that time. First my Android Phone died the same day the promotion started. Dolby Atmos Music was not supported on My Apple Phone, and I could not get to work on AppleTV 4K, Nvidia Shield 2017, And FireStick 4K. I tried all those devices today before the subscription stopped and non of them worked. I am glad you got it working. i will try and find another promotion and try again.
I tried to get a 30 day free trial but end paying £19.99, Never mind , I manage to get it working with Apple TV after upgrading the Tidal App. had to turn volume up a bit but some music listen to was quite impressive on my 5.1.4 via Marantz SR7011. the Cakka Can Rufus track is very good from sol classic playlist. Could not get it working with Fire TV 4K stick or Nvdia Shield. i will explore different Genre of music and enjoy as much as i can. Hope Amazon music Hd follows.

I'm at the end of my tether with this I have an Arcam Avr 390 and cannot get Atmos out of a 4k Fire TV or Nvidia shield for Tidal just get the device not capable message then stereo. Atmos works fine from these devices for Netflix etc and they are plugged into the AVR rather than using ARC. I've tried forcing through manual selection on both devices and have reinstalled both apps and checked firmwares so they are definitely updated. Any ideas?

I'm at the end of my tether with this I have an Arcam Avr 390 and cannot get Atmos out of a 4k Fire TV or Nvidia shield for Tidal just get the device not capable message then stereo. Atmos works fine from these devices for Netflix etc and they are plugged into the AVR rather than using ARC. I've tried forcing through manual selection on both devices and have reinstalled both apps and checked firmwares so they are definitely updated. Any ideas?
Going by what everyone else said on here. It seems like the app hasn't been updated by Tidal for these products yet.

I currently have an Atmos setup on my Windows HTPC. Will Tidal play atmos on this setup yet?
Setup - HTPC - Denon 6300 receiver - 7.1.4 atmos.

This will not take off, me personally find multi channel music distracting. I have listened to many SACD and never listen to them again.
Atmos is a non starter especially for the mass market.

If you are having to keep your tv on to listen to these tracks via Apple TV, simple solution switch off tv which results in music stopping then simply press the play/pause button on the Apple TV remote and playback resumes from where it stopped.

This will not take off, me personally find multi channel music distracting. I have listened to many SACD and never listen to them again.
Atmos is a non starter especially for the mass market.

Not sure if it’s in the mastering, but that’s been my experience of multichannel SACD too. Blu-ray Audio on the other hand was amazing, particularly with DTS-MA.

I’ve got Rachmaninov piano concerto in DTS-MA on a Blu-ray Audio, and I have heard the same concerto live many times: it really does get close to the real thing, not just with the soundstage, which you would expect, but with a tonal balance that’s spot on: all the detail you could ever wish for, but without any harshness at all.

Beck’s Sea Change on Blu-ray Audio is awesome too and shows what can be done with the format if the sound mixer is a bit imaginative.

So if streaming Atmos can get close to or even better the experience, it’s really worth a try, especially if you have the necessary compatible equipment already.

but this one shows just what can be done with Atmos and it's not like old 5.1 music tracks.

I don't think you can beat multi channel 5.1 SACD & DVD-A's. I only have two Atmos music discs though, Hans Zimmer which is excellent & INXS "Kick" album, not so good !

If any of you have Amazon Prime. It has a 4K HDR concert by Katie Mellua in Dolby Atmos,

I love Katie Melua, unfortunately i don't have Amazon Prime, i assume this is exclusive to them ??

Not sure if it’s in the mastering, but that’s been my experience of multichannel SACD too. Blu-ray Audio on the other hand was amazing, particularly with DTS-MA.

I’ve got Rachmaninov piano concerto in DTS-MA on a Blu-ray Audio, and I have heard the same concerto live many times: it really does get close to the real thing, not just with the soundstage, which you would expect, but with a tonal balance that’s spot on: all the detail you could ever wish for, but without any harshness at all.

Beck’s Sea Change on Blu-ray Audio is awesome too and shows what can be done with the format if the sound mixer is a bit imaginative.

So if streaming Atmos can get close to or even better the experience, it’s really worth a try, especially if you have the necessary compatible equipment already.

As said above, i've always found multi channel SACD / DVD-A's the best way to listento music & i've also collected Blu Ray Audio, which is excellent too.

I own Beck - Sea Change on Blu Ray Audio, missed the boat on SACD format, but i can't imagine it would sound any different ??

I'm interested to see if Atmos music takes off......one to keep an eye on....or ear !

Sounds amazing!! I managed to get four months tidal for £4!!
20200529_205249.jpg

My UK Fire stick 4k won't play Tidal Dolby Atmos - says device is not capable. I know it IS capable because, using the same stick, it plays Amazon's Jack Ryan's 4k HDR series perfectly well in Dolby Atmos! Device is plugged into Onkyo Dolby Atmos av. Anyone with any suggestions? Must be a Tidal problem?
[/QUOT

I'm not thoroughly convinced by this. I'm now playing automatic for the people my REM in dolby atmos.....its ok but not blowing me away ( not sure what I was expecting tbh)
Plus my receiver has had to be turned right up ( almost fully up) hope I don't forget to turn it back down When I switch sources.
Mines the same on apple tv, to give an idea usually play movies 25 to 30 on app tv but have to turn up to 40/45 just to get reasonable sound. Not blown away either. Its not night and day

Mine wont play either. Have got to work on my apple tv 4k after reinstalling app but trued on firestick with no joy. Strange one. My av rec plays atmos usually

This is odd, i have a firetv 4k and that is in the list of supported devices but when i try and play a track it states it is not supported and playing in stereo.

Just double checked and Jack Ryan on Amazon Video outputs Atmos using it, so the device itself can support it, odd.

If you are having to keep your tv on to listen to these tracks via Apple TV, simple solution switch off tv which results in music stopping then simply press the play/pause button on the Apple TV remote and playback resumes from where it stopped.
Luckily I don't have this problem with my oled... The apple tv goes to their fantastic Screensaver and then when it changes track a thumbnail pops up of what is now playing. It's very beautiful

i also got £4 a month for 4 months . apple 4k tv to NW950 soundbar apple screen savers kick in after2 mins which is fine by me . i think the atmos sounds great and the master audio stuff is top notch

I currently have an Atmos setup on my Windows HTPC. Will Tidal play atmos on this setup yet?
Setup - HTPC - Denon 6300 receiver - 7.1.4 atmos.
I also wasn't able to make it work with my HTPC & Denon 4200 but was able to get it working on Apple tv 4k.

As others pointed out, I needed to increase the volume quite a bit to get a decent sound out of my 5.4.1 setup.
I've tested most genres and the results are disappointing.
Some tracks sound like normal 5.1 mix, Some just add to the atmosphere of the song.
In some cases, you bearly notice the atmos, and those that you do, are sometimes for the wrong reasons.

For example "When the doves Cry" sound awful to my ears. It's nice that you have the original tape to separate instruments, but you need it to make sense. You need it still to be close to the original spirit of the song.

In "All I wanna do" by Sheryl crow they decided to move the Guiro instrument exclusively to the right hight channel and there it's the single most annoying sound in the world! When the Guiro is implemented in the stereo mix it's less annoying because it blends with the rest of the instruments and it's not "in your face", or should I say "above your face" :D

The level of the atmos mixes must be improved. For now, it's just a nice gimmick.

My biggest complaint is that the mixes just sound dull.
I compared the Tidal atmos mix of REM's "Automatic Of The People" with the disc version. The disc version sounds far better. With Punchier and more lively sound.

I don't know if it's a compression issue or some other issue, but I was not able to enjoy the songs as much as with my disc versions.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom