NEWS: Tidal brings Dolby Atmos Music to home cinema setups

AppleTV onto Denon x3600, sounds more interesting at the moment. 5.1 dvd audio sounds brighter and normal volume. This feels a little bit duller and definitely a lot quieter. But it’s interesting, and REM sounds good. Not getting much from the ceiling at all, seems more 5.1.

Centre speaker needs to be turned up. Vocals sound more centred in a stereo setup otherwise.

Everybody Hurts by REM works well.

My UK Fire stick 4k won't play Tidal Dolby Atmos - says device is not capable. I know it IS capable because, using the same stick, it plays Amazon's Jack Ryan's 4k HDR series perfectly well in Dolby Atmos! Device is plugged into Onkyo Dolby Atmos av. Anyone with any suggestions? Must be a Tidal problem?

Arc does pass the Dolby Atmos signal from built in apps (Netflix etc) so I would have thought that would work. Has anyone got this working with a Firestick?

You need e-arc for Atmos. Should be no issue if the AVR processes the HD audio plus the Atmos metadata,

Like you I have an Apple TV 4k and an Oled so I'd have the same concerns as you. I checked the app store yesterday for Qobuz but alas still no app!

Great to know the concept itself is a good one. Enjoy!

Got this working via my Apple TV connected to my Denon Amp which is Atmos compatible. The sound is really low so have to turn the volume up a lot to hear it properly but some of the tracks sound excellent.
Be good to not have to have the tv on while playing a track as I have an LG oled and dont want static screens on if I can help it.
Also be great to have soundtracks available in this format so looking forward to more support of this format.

Not sure guys, but on my Sony A9F, i have a "picture Off" mode, where i can switch the screen only, while everything is still working well.
I used it a lot when i'm streaming roon through my Oppo 203, and light up few Philips hues i have in the living room.
You can probably make the choice of the playlist in advance, and launch it/ switch the screen off and control the songs through ATV remote (or Harmony if you got that)

Not sure guys, but on my Sony A9F, i have a "picture Off" mode, where i can switch the screen only, while everything is still working well.
I used it a lot when i'm streaming roon through my Oppo 203, and light up few Philips hues i have in the living room.
You can probably make the choice of the playlist in advance, and launch it/ switch the screen off and control the songs through ATV remote (or Harmony if you got that)
I don't think I have that on my B7 but sometimes I use bubbleupnp to connect to the amp and I just turn off the TV.

My UK Fire stick 4k won't play Tidal Dolby Atmos - says device is not capable. I know it IS capable because, using the same stick, it plays Amazon's Jack Ryan's 4k HDR series perfectly well in Dolby Atmos! Device is plugged into Onkyo Dolby Atmos av. Anyone with any suggestions? Must be a Tidal problem?
Won’t work for me either. Nor will it work using the Denon HEOS app on my X2500. So a bit rubbish all round really.

AppleTV onto Denon x3600, sounds more interesting at the moment. 5.1 dvd audio sounds brighter and normal volume. This feels a little bit duller and definitely a lot quieter. But it’s interesting, and REM sounds good. Not getting much from the ceiling at all, seems more 5.1.

Centre speaker needs to be turned up. Vocals sound more centred in a stereo setup otherwise.

Everybody Hurts by REM works well.

That’s what should happen for multichannel music mixes compared with multichannel movie mixes.

The centre channel is primarily for movie dialogue, but robs the front left & right speaker of its stereo imaging if the centre is too forward in a music mix.

Check out this link...

You need e-arc for Atmos. Should be no issue if the AVR processes the HD audio plus the Atmos metadata,

Interesting. I’m not disputing what you’re saying, but your point goes back to an earlier post I made about Atmos on Blurays.

My pre-Atmos, HDMI 1.4 AV receiver will play HD surround sound when it encounters a Dolby Atmos encoded Bluray, because as I understand it, as far as discs are concerned anyway, Atmos mixes must include a mandatory 7.1 HD layer.

But I honestly have no idea as to whether this mandatory 7.1 layer is there at all when streaming Dolby Atmos music. With discs I get a sound out if it still as discs encoded with Atmos seem to include this backward compatibility. But whether I would get any sound out of it at all when streaming I guess is questionable.

But the fact that I DO get a successful sound out of Atmos discs would imply that at least when playing discs, I don’t need eArc.

i like others found the volume very low with the ATV Tidal app playing the Atmos tracks. Btw I needed to manually update the Tidal app as when I first tried I just got stereo - george

How do you identify a track is in Atmos? With my fire TV 4k I can see master flag but nothing indicating atmos

How do you identify a track is in Atmos? With my fire TV 4k I can see master flag but nothing indicating atmos

On the ATV there's a seperate section for Atmos content and when I signed into the app on my atv it came up with a message saying it was Atmos capable. I just don't think the app has been updated on Android TV / firestick yet

If you search ‘Dolby Atmos’ you will find that there are a load of playlists available. When you go into the playlist, each of the tracks has a little Dolby sign against it. However, you will probably find that it won’t actually play in Atmos. I suspect that a new Firmware is required as I have not heard of anyone getting this to work on a Firestick yet.

It would be interesting if the likes of Bluesound upgraded their Node 2i to include an HDMI output so it could play multichannel Atmos music while being controlled by their app, negating the need for a display to be turned on.

Over to you Bluesound...

I'm not thoroughly convinced by this. I'm now playing automatic for the people my REM in dolby atmos.....its ok but not blowing me away ( not sure what I was expecting tbh)
Plus my receiver has had to be turned right up ( almost fully up) hope I don't forget to turn it back down When I switch sources.

Not sure how to get this working either. Just recently set up the new Shield Pro and signed up to Tidal. Hooked straight up to an atmos enabled amp but no luck.

I'm not thoroughly convinced by this. I'm now playing automatic for the people my REM in dolby atmos.....its ok but not blowing me away ( not sure what I was expecting tbh)
Plus my receiver has had to be turned right up ( almost fully up) hope I don't forget to turn it back down When I switch sources.

Have you turned the volume to max in the Tidal app itself, rather than just your receiver’s volume?

Just wondering what it could be - I can’t imagine that‘s right somehow.

I had the demo at CES with Prince: When Doves Cry and happy to find it is here on Tidal and I have just had the exact same experience at home on my system. Most tracks are subtle, but this one shows just what can be done with Atmos and it's not like old 5.1 music tracks.

I had the demo at CES with Prince: When Doves Cry and happy to find it is here on Tidal and I have just had the exact same experience at home on my system. Most tracks are subtle, but this one shows just what can be done with Atmos and it's not like old 5.1 music tracks.
Arr. That's a bit more like it.
I would definitely listen to this to see how it sounds.
Also a good track is tell me something good by Rufus and Chaka Khan. Some of the drum beats sounded like someone upstairs or next door were banging. Very good
Now to solve the volume and we're all good.

Last edited:
That’s what should happen for multichannel music mixes compared with multichannel movie mixes.

The centre channel is primarily for movie dialogue, but robs the front left & right speaker of its stereo imaging if the centre is too forward in a music mix.

Check out this link...

Hmm, I agree with the comments, Dolby is removing Centre Spread to make their Atmos music releases more appealing. Very shady! :nono:

Phil - What are you using to access this? Apple TV? I haven’t heard anyone get it to work on anything else.

"Among the albums currently available in the format are Ariana Grande’s 7 Rings, The Weeknd’s After Hours, and Shawn Mendes & Camila Cabello’s Señorita."

Oh great. Just what we all wanted. Terrible tunes in Atmos o_O

I can't find this, I've tried all of the When Doves Cry tracks I can find and none of them are flagged as Atmos. This is on the atv4k btw

I have to use my AVR on screen info display.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom