NEWS: TIDAL adds millions more MQA tracks

Personally I think MQA was released primarily as a money maker. Lot's of false marketing talk of improved sound but no evidence to back up the claims.

I'll stick to CDs, SACDs and FLAC downloads. The master and mastering of the song is much more important to how the sound quality will actually be.

Have a tidal hifi subscription as well as spotify and to be honest, to my ears, I can't tell the difference. They both sound the same to me. Really all these things are hardly discernible, you'll notice more difference going from speaker to speaker. Don't think I'll bother keeping the tidal after it expires

@Kingchin I would be inclined to agree and would be non plussed to see MQA go, but it is also possible the MQA version on Tidal means they have paid more attention to the mastering

What exactly is the source of these MQA versions? Do they go back to the original master tape and remaster an MQA version or has there always been a flat digital copy of the master tape that all mastering uses?

Cambridge audio don't know when they'll do connect and it won't support mqa.

Stick with what you got. Tidal Mqa is just after your money.

What exactly is the source of these MQA versions? Do they go back to the original master tape and remaster an MQA version or has there always been a flat digital copy of the master tape that all mastering uses?
I’m not sure. I do think they do a complete new mastering of each album, thus marketing them as Mqa. I have tried the so called Tidal Mqa masters. In my opinion it was not worth the money. In many cases the sound got too sterile in my opinion.

Which streaming service is best for Naim NDS/555.
I have Tidal @ £20 month,but Naim seams to not support MQA for what it's worth.
What best sound is possible or i should be aiming for the above,ie ripping cds v tidal etc.
Iam very much a novice.

Which streaming service is best for Naim NDS/555.
I have Tidal @ £20 month,but Naim seams to not support MQA for what it's worth.
What best sound is possible or i should be aiming for the above,ie ripping cds v tidal etc.
Iam very much a novice.
Bluesound supports Tidal MQA. Bluesound Node2i as an example. It can also work as streamer if you want to play your own local files/cd by using NAS network hard drive connected to your WiFi. Cd we’ll always sound the best if you ask me compared to streaming. But I do think Apple Music, Spotify Premium is a very good choice still. You could always rip your cds using EAC (software) and see which format you prefer.

I am not keen on SACD either, I played flac and SACD version of Love over Gold by Dire Straits, via PC through Music Bee to McIntosh pre-amp. There was little bass on opening track on SACD version. Flac sounded much better.

TIDAL has announced the addition of millions more lossy MQA tracks. Great! o_O

HB

I am not keen on SACD either, I played flac and SACD version of Love over Gold by Dire Straits, via PC through Music Bee to McIntosh pre-amp. There was little bass on opening track on SACD version. Flac sounded much better.
Okay, but was the SACD versus Flac based upon the same master ☺

Last edited:
Check out Dire Straits Blue Swirl/Red Swirl from the early 80’s. -Love Over Gold- jumps from the speakers. Insane sound quality!

Long, long time Spotify user, but I'm trying out the Tidal Masters for the month, and I have to say it's the first time I've not had buyers remorse about my 8 month old Wharfedale Evo 4.4's. Playing through a Bluesound Powernode 2 there are a few tracks where Tidal Masters not only beat Spotify but also my USB stick WMA lossless CD collection (I expected USB WMA Lossless > Tidal Masters > Spotify). The Tidal app has frozen a few times but otherwise is a nice experience. I've not immersed myself in the 16 bit/24 bit, MQA, is it?/isn't it? stuff - I'm just a listener, but my ears are telling me it's better than Spotify.

Last edited:
Some of my library got the MQA treatment as part of this. I’ve listened to a few albums that until now have only been in 16/44 and I’ve noticed a definite improvement now they’re MQA. This may be due to the mastering rather than the increase in resolution. Either way it’s a good update for tidal hifi users!

I wonder whether we’ll get more electronics companies producing MQA approved products and DACs if this continues.

Tidal has added lots of MQA songs but in reality they haven't. I use Tidal through USB Audio Player Pro that displays exactly the quality. MQA is 24 bits BUT all the newly added MQA songs are 16 bit and same exact kbps as HiFi so...they really haven't. The official Tidal app says they are "Master" but in reality they are not.

Tidal has added lots of MQA songs but in reality they haven't. I use Tidal through USB Audio Player Pro that displays exactly the quality. MQA is 24 bits BUT all the newly added MQA songs are 16 bit and same exact kbps as HiFi so...they really haven't. The official Tidal app says they are "Master" but in reality they are not.

That’s weird. Is it wishful thinking to hope that tidal will one day stream the high res files in a lossless format? If it can stream 4K with vision/atmos I don’t think songs will trouble my bandwidth too much.

I was sceptical. Until I played Avalon by Roxy Music through my Dragonfly Cobalt. I have never heard it with such soundstage, bass weight, and dynamics. I'm finding this on everything
I've tried so far. Incredible. I've only tried songs I've known for many years.

I was thinking of upgrading from my trial period but when I put tidal on my firestick it asked me to sign up £22.99 or £23.99 So looks like prices are going up soon? Not bothering at that price.

interesting to see how its being added. Many major names not as yet, but hey, Classix Nouveaux & Blancmange from the 80's!!

Blind tests. Get someone else to select the tracks without you 'seeing' press play on MQA

And if it 'sounds better' in a blind test then make sure Tidal are not rigging the game by using a better master for the MQA version. Could simply be hearing improved dynamic range rather than 'MQA' (YouTube loudness wars)

I’m not sure. I do think they do a complete new mastering of each album, thus marketing them as Mqa. I have tried the so called Tidal Mqa masters. In my opinion it was not worth the money. In many cases the sound got too sterile in my opinion.
Sterile? Interesting. Because on my system doing and A/B test MQA vs Flac of the same track on Qobus, Tidal or server from my network reveals MQA to be a little fuller on the bottom end and a bit veiled in the mids and highs, not dull but, different, just the opposite of your experience.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom