NEWS: THX Spatial Audio app brings 360 degree sound to any headphone

SunnyIntervals

It's great that audio in games and films is such a big thing these days, not so long ago home cinema was very niche and most consumers put up with whatever their TV could output.

The next gen consoles are both highlighting the audio side of things to increase and improve immersion.

Steven

Senior Moderator
Agreed. Sony has 3D audio in their latest wireless headphone

And will also be marketing 3D audio in the upcoming PS5

Coulson

Distinguished Member
I've always wanted 3D audio paired with 3d visuals. For me it increases the experience of immersion when watching a film (think Pacific Rim Kaiju's or Civil War's airport scene). But right now it's only niche, especially since it requires VR, a decent PC and an Atmos speaker system. But imagine a next gen (smaller and lighter) VR system with THX Spatial Audio technology built in or even with just Sony's 3D wireless headphone plugged in. I suppose the PS5 could leverage their existing 3D catalogue for this.

Last edited:

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
I've always wanted 3D audio paired with 3d visuals. For me it increases the experience of immersion when watching a film (think Pacific Rim Kaiju's or Civil War's airport scene). But right now it's only niche, especially since it requires VR, a decent PC and an Atmos speaker system. But imagine a next gen (smaller and lighter) VR system with THX Spatial Audio technology built in or even with just Sony's 3D wireless headphone plugged in. I suppose the PS5 could leverage their existing 3D catalogue for this.
That would be cool, and if I'm honest or in my opinion, the best, even only way VR is going to make it beyond niche.

The Playstation VR is great fun, but oh my god the cables!!! But when/if we get a great Oculus Quest with this THX sound? Count me in.

Coulson

Distinguished Member
That would be cool, and if I'm honest or in my opinion, the best, even only way VR is going to make it beyond niche.

The Playstation VR is great fun, but oh my god the cables!!! But when/if we get a great Oculus Quest with this THX sound? Count me in.
Exactly. Right now to get a similar experience you need to have a decent understanding of Windows setup for AV, Wifi router setup, Windows AV players and setup, Android developer mode and AV. Although saying that, I've always found the Quest sound scape to be wider than the headset.

I think this could be a great travel system/decent AV experience for AV heads. But for those who have never experienced a proper Atmos setup or even the pseudo setups, this could be a revalation.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic HX800 TV + Sony HT-G700 Soundbar reviews, movie and TV show news and reviews
Top Bottom