NEWS: THX launches Onyx MQA supporting DAC/Amplifier

Could be a useful usb dac for older amps using a computer for streaming and audio.

Decent price too, assuming it’s as good as the claims.

Very similar spec to dragonfly red

This looks like a really interesting product. Initial reviews floating around are very positive.

About to buy myself some good cans and a dac but this has me torn now between this and the hip-dac

Could be a useful usb dac for older amps using a computer for streaming and audio.

Decent price too, assuming it’s as good as the claims.
One dongle DAC amp is released per month 😏

One thing I would say is the THX involvement means I assume the specs and measurements are good going by past THX licensed headphone products (read clean, low distortion and reasonable power output - for a dongle DAC anyway)

Looks like this is restricted on Android devices to resampling hi res to 48hz. Using UAPP app will remedy this but means streaming only. Disappointing but I guess not totally unexpected, most of these USB DAC/AMPs are limited in the same way.

Looks like this is restricted on Android devices to resampling hi res to 48hz. Using UAPP app will remedy this but means streaming only. Disappointing but I guess not totally unexpected, most of these USB DAC/AMPs are limited in the same way.
Afaik this is an Android limitation, not the dacs limitations

I just don’t see how something USB bus powered could deliver sufficient clean power to high impedance headphones (not just volume but transients). I’ll wait for real world reports as if it did this would be an amazing little dongle.

I just don’t see how something USB bus powered could deliver sufficient clean power to high impedance headphones (not just volume but transients). I’ll wait for real world reports as if it did this would be an amazing little dongle.
It's a similar device to the dragonflies, and they manage it

It's a similar device to the dragonflies, and they manage it
Some people say they do but others say they’re underpowered. I’ve not heard to judge for myself but playing music is one thing, it sounding full and dynamic is another. I guess it depends on what you want out of a device like this. In reality I wouldn’t think many people would use it as their primary device with the Sennheiser HD800 for example. But if they did and find it acceptable more power to them! No point spending money just for the sake of it.

I couldn't say about demanding headphones, I find them great for my use with pedestrian enough headphones

Afaik this is an Android limitation, not the dacs limitations
Your right, it is an Android issue however it is possible to bypass if the hardware uses its own driver such as Fiio do with there q5 series (so I'm lead to believe)

One dongle DAC amp is released per month 😏

One thing I would say is the THX involvement means I assume the specs and measurements are good going by past THX licensed headphone products (read clean, low distortion and reasonable power output - for a dongle DAC anyway)

That was my point, should have made it clearer.

I’d expect the THX specs to make it as clean a usb dac as there is.

But I’m still enamoured of the Meridian Director. Twice the price originally though, and not really a portable solution.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom