NEWS: Technics introduces affordable SL-100C turntable

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
£800 turntable and they throw on a VM95C cartridge, for an extra £10 (guess at wholesale difference) they could at least have put on the VM95E. Alternatively they know everyone is going to change it so why not put the cheapest cart on there. For the same price you can get a Planar 3 with the Exact cart or VM540ML, going to have to be good to beat that with a spherical bargain basement cart. £500 with no cart and it would be a decent buy.

Last edited:

English Invader

£800 turntable and they throw on a VM95C cartridge, for an extra £10 (guess at wholesale difference) they could at least have put on the VM95E. Alternatively they know everyone is going to change it so why not put the cheapest cart on there. For the same price you can get a Planar 3 with the Exact cart or VM540ML, going to have to be good to beat that. £500 and it would be a decent buy.

Agreed. There should be an elliptical stylus at this price point.

DT79

The pricing makes no sense. You can get the 1500C with cartridge (also not a great one) for £899.

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
With the latest version of the SL1200 (mk7) announced a £799 without cartridge then the Technics line up is getting pretty confusing -

SL100C, no preamp, VM95C spherical cart (£29 value included), £799
SL1200mk7, no preamp, lots of DJ features, no cart, £799
SL1500, preamp, Ortofon 2m Red (£95 value included), £899

Why would you buy the SL100C over the other two?

gibbsy

How the heck is £800 ($1110 USD) "affordable"? 🤔
That's subjective really. £800 might very well be pocket change to some and a fortune to others. You can't recommend or mention something that some may find are not 'affordable'. For our 'hobby' the differential in prices and quality of components is huge.

Andym32

Standard Member
If this turns out to be a good deck and you stick a vm95ml stylus on it you will have a fantastic sounding TT for under a 1000.

bmwracer

That's subjective really. £800 might very well be pocket change to some and a fortune to others. You can't recommend or mention something that some may find are not 'affordable'. For our 'hobby' the differential in prices and quality of components is huge.
Yeah, I totally understand that. I guess my interpretation of "affordable" is way off the mark to an audiophile. :)

robotron

Does this come with a lid? I've not seen a single photo showing one.

I assume it does but you never know.

Agree with other posts though, this isn't "affordable" when compared to the rest of the line up.

Maybe when it drops to £600 ish at online retailers it'll find its feet but until then I would imagine most buyers would go the similarly priced SL-1200/1210 or SL-1500C route.

bmwracer

Does this come with a lid? I've not seen a single photo showing one.

I assume it does but you never know.

Agree with other posts though, this isn't "affordable" when compared to the rest of the line up.

Maybe when it drops to £600 ish at online retailers it'll find its feet but until then I would imagine most buyers would go the similarly priced SL-1200/1210 or SL-1500C route.
The lid for this "affordable" turntable is probably another £100. ;)

Standard Member
Not sure if it's going to be available in silver? All the promo's only show the black finish, with no mention of the colour options

DT79

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom