NEWS: TCL unveils new OD Zero Mini-LED technology

MahaRaja

TCL was the pioneer of this tech but could not match the performance, let alone exceed it, of good Led-LCD TVs, in terms of picture quality.

Its now up to Samsung to show how to make good Mini-LED TVs, that could be better than LED-LCD TVs.

Kingchin

If they release it in the UK then RIP Samsung and Sony.
More chance of winning the lottery than the TCL OD Zero Mini-LED tv releasing in the UK this year 😅

And even in the very slim chance it actually did release, it wouldn't be RIP Samsung and Sony!

Both massive companies with television's accounting for a tiny part of their businesses.

tomhill

More chance of winning the lottery than the TCL OD Zero Mini-LED tv releasing in the UK this year 😅

And even in the very slim chance it actually did release, it wouldn't be RIP Samsung and Sony!

Both massive companies with television's accounting for a tiny part of their businesses.
Sony are wayyyy behind! No Mini-LED or Quantum Dot is pathetic so they won't do well this year.

Coulson

Distinguished Member
Sony are wayyyy behind! No Mini-LED or Quantum Dot is pathetic so they won't do well this year.
Having seen Samsung quantum dot TVs close up in review like conditions, I didn't see any great leap forward when viewing compared to a decent LED TV. It might be technically better than standard LED, but not enough to be worth the price premium. They will sell a lot because most people only know brands and key marketing terms.

As for TCL, AVForums should just put out the marketing blurb with a headline saying, You won't be getting this TV but....

encaser

Someone at TCL really should consult an English speaker, as OD Zero had me jumping to, Oh Dear, Zero.
All this priority still going to ultra thin this or that? Surely they should get over it, as beyond them going on the wall, if they even are, and being reasonably thin, that's it and we've been there for a while.
Try concentrating more on PQ, processing and the like TCL and actually sell them in the UK. You're just pissing people off and now Samsung and LG have swooped in.
It's bemusing. Do TCL get travel sick?!

CliffordinWales

Standard Member
Last year at CES TCL unveiled their 8K Vidrian prototype based on mini-LEDs in a glass substrate. It was exciting but never saw the light of day in a consumer product. I wonder if this OD Zero prototype is similarly going to end up as vapourware.

Clearandcolour

Yes,, the most stupid angle to talking about these 0D tcl miniled.. would be bragging and explaining about the thinnes of these screens.. As if we were waiting for thinner screens ! No, I just hate those weak(er) thin oled screens..
As I watched vincent theo's youtube,. he first focussed on the tv being thinner. BUt later on he explained that it helped to prevent darker spots between the the leds.. as they are smaller.. they can be put closer,.. and don't need to be further away. And then zones can be better controlled without influences wider area's..

Kingchin

You never read the last part of my comment! That televisions are a very small part of Sony and Samsung's businesses. The majority of their profits are from other revenues 👍🏾

Anyway here in the UK TCL and also Hisense need to gain our trust and then deliver the flagship tv's on time. Just like Samsung and LG years ago when they were known as cheap brands.

WirralMick

I'd love to get my hands on a mini led 75" 8k later this year, has anyone ever had any responses from them via twitter or email about them coming to the UK? Their customer service is non existent

encaser

I'd love to get my hands on a mini led 75" 8k later this year, has anyone ever had any responses from them via twitter or email about them coming to the UK? Their customer service is non existent
The top end X925 Pro version with thousands of dimming zones 85" 8K is coming to Europe and a lower non Pro X825 8K thicker bodied 65"-75" model with hundreds of zones. Then it's 4K 55-65"

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
I'm shocked that you think all Samsung QLEDs are better than all Sony due to an irrelevant video.

Compare them at the same pricepoint.

Q80 vs XH9505
Q60 vs XH9005

You seem to be getting quite confused as first you stated
Then when it's pointed out to you that Sony do have quantum dot displays only they named it Triluminos, you now claim Samsungs is better than something you didn't know Sony had and still don't realise and decide to put up a video comparing QLED and OLED.

Last edited:

tomhill

I'm shocked that you think all Samsung QLEDs are better than all Sony due to an irrelevant video.

Compare them at the same pricepoint.

Q80 vs XH9505
Q60 vs XH9005

Also, your video is comparing Quantum Dots and OLED.
Ummm where I timestamped the video it is comparing Quantum Dot to KSF Phosphor which is what Sony use aka Triluminos.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...

Latest News

NAD Launches CI 16-60 DSP Amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky seals Studiocanal movie deal
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
iFi Audio launches iDSD Diablo DAC/Headphone amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy Buds Pro
  • By Andy Bassett