NEWS: TCL previews sideways rollable OLED TV

GT One

I suspect that TCL are just reminding LG and others that they too have a future with OLED, showing off a rollable panel is just an attention seeker without actually providing a retail product for review, just a visual concept to show they have the technology ready to go.
I guess you could say it's a clever publicity move but LG Display wont be losing much sleep until a retail sample of TCL's new OLED has be tried and tested and is shown to be cheaper to buy.
Lets not forget that TCL are late comers in the OLED market.

encaser

The sourced rollable screens come from LG, so it's all moot. Add to that, LG themselves don't really appear to have a clear intent beyond vague commercial application or, space saving for the rich that are the least likely to need to save space beyond, perhaps, a 'small' yacht cabin.
Supposedly upcoming clear screen OLEDs also seem a novelty in the extreme, that is until prices fall considerably when/if mass produced for primarily commercial usage.

GT One

The sourced rollable screens come from LG, so it's all moot. Add to that, LG themselves don't really appear to have a clear intent beyond vague commercial application or, space saving for the rich that are the least likely to need to save space beyond, perhaps, a 'small' yacht cabin.
Supposedly upcoming clear screen OLEDs also seem a novelty in the extreme, that is until prices fall considerably when/if mass produced for primarily commercial usage.
The article says TCL are using their precision ink jet technology, the screen is curiously only 17" so it is just a PR teaser, aimed mostly at LG I would suggest.
A 17" screen may give a clue that CSOT have still some R&D work to do on TCL's printed OLED project.
TCL have a lot of ambition for the future and are probably in a similar position to LG Electronics when they transitioned from being GoldStar, which at the time didn't have a reputation for build consistency, to become one of the dominant electronics technology producers today.
TCL's main commercial problem could be just investing its resources into a money making technology, it may be possible that TCL will keep dabbling with QLED, QD-LED, MiniLED, it could also look at testing dual cell technology to match Hisense, though I would think that getting its own printed OLED panels out to the retail market will be TCL's main priority.

encaser

The article says TCL are using their precision ink jet technology, the screen is curiously only 17" so it is just a PR teaser, aimed mostly at LG I would suggest.
A 17" screen may give a clue that CSOT have still some R&D work to do on TCL's printed OLED project.
TCL have a lot of ambition for the future and are probably in a similar position to LG Electronics when they transitioned from being GoldStar, which at the time didn't have a reputation for build consistency, to become one of the dominant electronics technology producers today.
TCL's main commercial problem could be just investing its resources into a money making technology, it may be possible that TCL will keep dabbling with QLED, QD-LED, MiniLED, it could also look at testing dual cell technology to match Hisense, though I would think that getting its own printed OLED panels out to the retail market will be TCL's main priority.
TCL have stated miniLED is an ongoing road map with their continuing releases for sets - Gen 3 this year?
Dual Cell LED looks more or less dead in the water for Europe at least, due to power constraints aside from the technical difficulties.
Printing for OLED is still a holy grail but along with hitting it right with Samsung's QD-OLED to break from LG's strangle hold.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom