NEWS: Sony XH90 and ZH8 TVs get 'Ready For PlayStation 5' badge

LCDseeker

I'm still finding Sony's marketing tactics hard to understand. The XH9005 is not a great set compared to the XH9505 so why not put it on both?

GT One

I'm still finding Sony's marketing tactics hard to understand. The XH9005 is not a great set compared to the XH9505 so why not put it on both?
It could be a compatibility issue with Sony's X1 Ultimate chip and HDMI 2.1, there are no issues with the X1 chip.
Those who have a cynical opinion about Sony products will probably understand this situation.
No doubt it will all be sorted out next year with the release of the 2021 product if there isn't to be a firmware update to fix it next year for those who bought their XH950 (XH9505) TV's in 2020.

LCDseeker

It could be a compatibility issue with Sony's X1 Ultimate chip and HDMI 2.1, there are no issues with the X1 chip.
Those who have a cynical opinion about Sony products will probably understand this situation.
No doubt it will all be sorted out next year with the release of the 2021 product if there isn't to be a firmware update to fix it next year for those who bought their XH950 (XH9505) TV's in 2020.
I agree. For me 2.1 isn't a decision factor in buying a new television and I've watched a review in the last few weeks that suggested Sony may well update the XH95 to 2.1 anyway.

Last edited:

Izak80

I doubt it but maybe once all the XG95's have been sold they might/IF they can. It would make sense to have the function, if possible on as many sets as they can in terms of maximising their PS5 sales.
The question is if the XG95 have the "hardwiring" to support HDMI 2.1, it's doubtful.

Izak80

Xg has same hardware as the XH.
It's questionable if it's got the hardware for Sony to patch in HDMI 2.1 features at a later date though.

Morden

It's questionable if it's got the hardware for Sony to patch in HDMI 2.1 features at a later date though.
Someone posted on xg forum, who I believe said they worked for sony that they share same motherboard and xh firmware will work on the xg.

Whilst I would not do that as it will likely invalidate warranty, some people with the xg have posted they successfully installed the XH firmware on their xg.

Whilst I would not advocate doing that, it does indicate that they do indeed share hardware components.

Lee Moles

Sorry I have wondered into this area after I read somewhere about ‘ready for PS5’ screens.

Are they already available then? It sounds like what they are touting is missing and needs to be updated so maybe worth waiting for next years models?

BigTelHols

The XH and XH are from what I've read the same TV internally. The difference's are XH has a backlit remote, wide angle filter and better internal speakers.

I've installed the XH firmware on to my XG and it works perfectly.

DannyW who posts on here updated an earlier firmware of the XG to unlock HDMI 2.1 features. UnfortunatelySony patched out his method of unlocking the features.

Stein67

I agree. For me 2.1 isn't a decision factor in buying a new television and I've watched a review in the last few weeks that suggested Sony may well update the XH95 to 2.1 anyway.
That's what I've been hoping too......any link to the review that mentions it? Cheers.