NEWS: Sony XH90 4K LCD TV available from £1,299

In my opinion, Sony absolutely has to clarify two points:
1) How many HDMI 2.1 inputs (40 or 48 gbps) has this TV?
2) When 4k 120 firmware update will be available?

It's says' X1 Processor: Is that 'Extreme' or 'Ultimate' type?.

More suitable for Gaming than getting most of out of viewing of Movies or TVs series, as it lacks either of X1 powerful processors to bring out the best of normal content.

Screen burn?

*runs away screaming*

Why would someone buy this over an LG C9 at the same price?
Pixel degradation over time/usage.

Sound really nice tv on paper.

In my opinion, Sony absolutely has to clarify two points:
1) How many HDMI 2.1 inputs (40 or 48 gbps) has this TV?
2) When 4k 120 firmware update will be available?

Does worry me when manufacturers say "yeah yeah don't worry we'll release it sometime in the future"
Though £1499 for a 65" isn't a bad price

I suppose it depends on if you reckon your viewing habits have a chance of screen burn issues with an oled and you want to stick with an lcd.
Also slower pixels + usable motion interpolation = much less stuttering.

Why would someone buy this over an LG C9 at the same price?

For not having to worry about direct sunlight hitting the screen for hours a day. Sure the Mrs would be overjoyed at me saying we have to go home because you didn't draw the curtains this morning.... :)

For not having to worry about direct sunlight hitting the screen for hours a day. Sure the Mrs would be overjoyed at me saying we have to go home because you didn't draw the curtains this morning.... :)

Sorry what does this mean? Is there an issue with oleds and direct sunlight?

I suppose it depends on if you reckon your viewing habits have a chance of screen burn issues with an oled and you want to stick with an lcd.
Unless you have a static image on for hours every day the risk is low on the newer OLEDs.

Also slower pixels + usable motion interpolation = much less stuttering.
I don't think motion handling is that far off LCD these days.

Much rather a slight stutter than blooming, washed out blacks and poorer contrasts. But hey that's just me

Unless you have a static image on for hours every day the risk is low on the newer OLEDs.

That's the thing though, it's cumulative and adds up, so my 2 hours a day playing games is adding up to this issue where in 2 years 3 years I have this shadow on screen.

Sorry what does this mean? Is there an issue with oleds and direct sunlight?

Yes, I discovered this doing research for a new TV. The general opinion seems to be not to place an oled where direct sunlight can hit the screen. If in a situation like mine where the TV will be facing a wall of windows behind the sofa, oleds are not advised. You will always get the replies of "rearrange the room" or "draw the curtains" that unless living in a bachelor pad is not normally viable. :) There was a recent pic in C9/CX thread I think where most looked at it and said sunlight from gap in curtains. I'm not a oled doom monger or LCD fanboy. I really want an oled but don't think it's suited for our set up. Just have a Google of Oled and direct sunlight and see what you find.

Yes, I discovered this doing research for a new TV. The general opinion seems to be not to place an oled where direct sunlight can hit the screen. If in a situation like mine where the TV will be facing a wall of windows behind the sofa, oleds are not advised. You will always get the replies of "rearrange the room" or "draw the curtains" that unless living in a bachelor pad is not normally viable. :) There was a recent pic in C9/CX thread I think where most looked at it and said sunlight from gap in curtains. I'm not a oled doom monger or LCD fanboy. I really want an oled but don't think it's suited for our set up. Just have a Google of Oled and direct sunlight and see what you find.

Wow thanks for that, another one for the con list :eek:

Wow, this has turned into OLED vs LCD discussion. For some people, OLED is not appropriate and also it has own issues that people are scared of, so it's not a natural choice just to go with OLED.

I would be very keen to see a review of the 85" XH90 television, because at £3299 that seems almost absurdly cheap for such a big screen!

If the companies were willing to honour any issues by stating burn in was a warranty issue yes.

But if I'm spending £1k to £2k on a new tv, then that's a lot of money to take a punt on. So it's a no from me.

And 1st sony lcd I got is still going strong can I say that for an oled in 14 years time?
If in 14 years majority people post in av forums their OLED are fine, then I will consider one.

Last edited:
Not only that. My wife's hearing is deteriorating, so we have subtitles on pretty much all of the time. My LG 65 C6 now looks horrible, any redish background shows all the 'pockmarks' of where the subtitles normally appear. No OLED for me any more.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom