NEWS: Sony update brings AirPlay 2 and Dolby Atmos support to select TVs

May be being thick .. as a AF9 owner the Atmos update will allow the IN-BUILT speakers to output Atmos.. or you will get Atmos from compliant devices connected to the AF9.. if the first great as the on board speakers are excellent.

Meh... Nothing for the 49XG.

Yep, downloaded and applied. Since then the tv actually switches itself off after a few hours of standby. So instead of switching on immediately it now takes a couple of minutes to go through the whole android startup process to come life if you don't turn it on every hour so. Obviously this process is accompanied by a pee taking commentary from the other half... Well done Sony!

Last edited:
Just connected my 75" XG9505 and spent hours trying to figure out how to get the built in Netflix app to play atmos :facepalm:
I guess now I understand why I was only seeing the 5.1 icon on the info

I can't believe it's taking Sony this long.

I can't believe that Sony is not considering the XBR55A8G for this update.
Hey Sony, why not the XBR55A8G?

I’m not seeing any updates on my compatible TV for Android 9.0 - where are people getting this update from?

I’m not seeing any updates on my compatible TV for Android 9.0 - where are people getting this update from?
It's not our here yet, just been released in the States, hopefully sometime this month for us

so......first they use 3 years old SoC in a high end TV and than that 3k TV is not on a list for update.
Knowing SONYs "upadates" that also might be very positive thing if TV works as it should. But that's rarely the case this days.
On the other hand, AndroidTV is the only OS that gets upgraded at all.

so......first they use 3 years old SoC in a high end TV and than that 3k TV is not on a list for update.
Knowing SONYs "upadates" that also might be very positive thing if TV works as it should. But that's rarely the case this days.
On the other hand, AndroidTV is the only OS that gets upgraded at all.
What tv are you talking about?

Anyone. Really. But AF8 is not on the list for Pie ATM.

Anyone. Really. But AF8 is not on the list for Pie ATM.
All the Oleds have been removed due to a bug in the Firmware ,the bug turned off pixel shift by default ,and possibly other things have been found too

which leads us to that if TV works as it should. I've been with android TV since the beginning and sadly, not much has change for the better since than. w75C had numerous updates any many things from the list on sony forum were never fixed. It's just easier to declare EOL

May be being thick .. as a AF9 owner the Atmos update will allow the IN-BUILT speakers to output Atmos.. or you will get Atmos from compliant devices connected to the AF9.. if the first great as the on board speakers are excellent.
Yes I wondered the same thing

All the SoCs they used sinc C series are equally crappy. But all are capable of running pie if only mediacrap would actually support their crappy 5$ products.

Since the Z9F US version is in the update list, EU version ZF9 and the rest of the world should get Pie as well. Of course unless they discover something unusual from the US market. They are like our test bed 'guinea pigs' :)

System on Chip or SoCMediaTek MT5893
CPUARM Cortex-A73
CPU Cores4
CPU Frequency1500
GPUARM Mali-G71
RAM Memory Size4
Internal Storage16
Interestingly they have the same SoC as A9G but Z9F have 4GB Ram while A9G only 2.5GB.

A9G was taken out of Pie update. Infact, OLED models are taken out.

Last edited:
Since the Z9F US version is in the update list, EU version ZF9 and the rest of the world should get Pie as well. Of course unless they discover something unusual from the US market. They are like our test bed 'guinea pigs' :)

System on Chip or SoCMediaTek MT5893
CPUARM Cortex-A73
CPU Cores4
CPU Frequency1500
GPUARM Mali-G71
RAM Memory Size4
Internal Storage16
Interestingly they have the same SoC as A9G but Z9F have 4GB Ram while A9G only 2.5GB.

A9G was taken out of Pie update. Infact, OLED models are taken out.

Hooray finally its official. The new firmware has been released as of today.

As predicted none for the XG90

Drat! Just spotted this comment:

In a first phase, this update will be released directly to eligible LCD models (ZF9, ZG9, XG85/XG87 and XG95 series). Our BRAVIA OLED Master Series models (AF9 and AG9 series) will receive this update in the second stage, in early 2020.

Still, at least the AF9 is on the list to get Pie and the benefits it brings.
Will just have to be patient.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom