NEWS: Sony launches WF-1000XM4 TWS headphones

Initial reviews seem to be favourable, Sony are offering 3yr warranty on pre-orders. So think I'll stick an order in today.

No multipoint support and can't adjust volume via the buds???!!! 🤔

The perfect true wireless buds continue to evade me :(

Waiting for these to appear on John Lewis. I have a load of vouchers to use

Initial reviews seem to be favourable, Sony are offering 3yr warranty on pre-orders. So think I'll stick an order in today.

FYI buying from Sony Store - For hygiene reasons in-ear headphones cannot be returned unless they are faulty.

I'm going to purchase mine from Amazon for that reason just in case.

No multipoint support and can't adjust volume via the buds???!!! 🤔

The perfect true wireless buds continue to evade me :(
I've got a pair of these to compliment my wh-1000xm4s and you can adjust volume via the buds. It's tap to increase and long press to decrease.

Reviews look really good for this. Got my order in. Arriving on Monday.

I've had these buds for a couple of days now and they are a real step up from the xm3s. The noise cancellation, in particular, is much better - at the gym this morning, they blocked out background noise and the awful music they play completely. I could barely hear the hand dryer in the bathroom when I was using it. Other improvements for me are they are sweat proof, and they don't work loose in my ears when I'm doing exercise. Oh, and they don't have the lag issues with my TV that the WH-1000xm4 do.

The sound quality is awesome too.

I'm really happy with them.

EDIT: I also love the option to automatically pause the music and switch to ambient sound if you speak. It's very handy for those rare occasions when I feel it necessary to listen and respond to the wife's drivel! (joke)

Last edited:
Anyone have the Galaxy Buds Pro to compare? I have the Galaxy buds pro but find them quite uncomfortable for longer periods.

FYI buying from Sony Store - For hygiene reasons in-ear headphones cannot be returned unless they are faulty.

I'm going to purchase mine from Amazon for that reason just in case.

Thanks for the information, I hadn't noticed that, I had ordered but now cancelled, I'm not dropping £250 on some headphones with no option to return them unless faulty when ordered online (even with the promise of a 3yr warranty) and not heard them or satisfied myself they fit me ok.

Even if the reviews seem positive.

Three days in with these and pretty happy ... i had previously ditched the stock tips for a set of RHA silicones (from the T20) but have since replaced with silicone tips from my gen 1 wired Sennheiser Momentums and seal / comfort balance has improved again.

I'd really like to be able to customise the touch controls to map long press to volume up (R) / volume down (L) while keeping everyone else the same (ambient sound control left / playback control right) ... is this likely to ever be an option?

Also, I plan to get a wireless charging pad for these .. any recommendations for something inexpensive or the basic spec I need to look for ... no plans to charge anything else wirelessly for now.

Thanks for the information, I hadn't noticed that, I had ordered but now cancelled, I'm not dropping £250 on some headphones with no option to return them unless faulty when ordered online (even with the promise of a 3yr warranty) and not heard them or satisfied myself they fit me ok.

Even if the reviews seem positive.

Also worthing noting, John Lewis is only giving a 1-year warranty too. I'm just waiting for Amazon to have Silver in stock.

The 3 year warranty is only available on the Sony website as it is an offer. Amazon and others offer 12 months. I’ve received mine from John Lewis and they are fantastic.

I received mine yesterday, I have to say I am very impressed. There are quite a few different settings to consider in the app so still playing at the moment, but first impressions are good.

I received my silver pair from Amazon and having a few issues.

1. The Heaphones app keep saying the headphones aren’t connected despite being paired and I’m listening to music.
2. when the headphones app (iOS) does detect the headphones, it’s not for long enough to update the software.
3. I finally managed to update the headphones after a full reset and numerous tries.
4. With Ambient sound mode, the outside noise is fluctuating up and down a lot whilst travelling on a train. Although Noise cancellation seems to be working fine.
5. As I increase the volume higher than 75%, the mid range increases but lowers the bass and treble which make the music sound like vocal mode and distorted.

I’m still playing around but if I can’t resolve the latter issues, sadly mine will be going back.

1. The Heaphones app keep saying the headphones aren’t connected despite being paired and I’m listening to music.
2. when the headphones app (iOS) does detect the headphones, it’s not for long enough to update the software.
3. I finally managed to update the headphones after a full reset and numerous tries.
4. With Ambient sound mode, the outside noise is fluctuating up and down a lot whilst travelling on a train. Although Noise cancellation seems to be working fine.
5. As I increase the volume higher than 75%, the mid range increases but lowers the bass and treble which make the music sound like vocal mode and distorted.

I’m still playing around but if I can’t resolve the latter issues, sadly mine will be going back.
On the app check that all the settings are correct i.e equalisation,Ambient sound e.c.t and try following some of the tips on the link below
Best settings for Sony WF-1000XM4 - Google Search. Hope that this helps I follow things like this to achieve the best sounds on the previous model XM3

Thanks - I checked all the settings to no avail and returned for a refund. Not sure if mine were defective as there wasn't any stock for an exchange.

What are the controls like? I had to sell the M3s in the end as I just could not get on with the controls, far too fiddly.

Currently have airpods pro which have fantastic controls but 'meh' sound.

I bought another pair and they are much better. All points, except 5 seem to have been resolved.

There must be a setting somewhere or these headphones just aren't able to handle high volumes.

The sounds are amazing around 65% - any higher, the sound is flat :-( This is on IOS iPhone 12 pro max and eq is set to Loudness.

Just got some WF-1000XM4 to try out with my new Sony Xperia 1 III and considering I'm coming from Noble K10U 10 driver wired beasties which I also use with a BTR5 over balanced LDAC these Sony's are simply wow for sound quality o_O with LDAC Best. Tried with my own HD Tracks (FLAC & MQA) and Amazon HD/Atmos/360 audio.

Been using some Samsung Pro+ with my old S10+ and I though they were fine, but these are in a totally different league, only beaten for me using my K10U/BTR5/LDAC combination. LDAC Best is a bit sensitive to movement/location but then it was with my BTR5/S10+ too and sounds great in Best Effort anyway.

Wasn't expecting to keep these but by heck, colour me surprised!

Total comfort/fit with my spin-fit silicon tips I use with my K10U's Amazon product ASIN B01B7A2S3S

Last edited:
I've just bought a pair from the Sony Centre £169 had the M3 but gave me ear ache in one ear, at that price got to give them a try.

Are these the ones to go for around this price point or anything else to consider?

Should be getting my set tomorrow, interested to see how they sound. To this point not been impressed at all by sony ear/headphones but hoping these will buck the trend.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom