NEWS: Sony launches native 4K VPL-VW290ES and VW890ES projectors

DB9S

Hi. Couple of things.
Set the PC resolution to 3840x2160 NOT 4096x2160. You will get more menu options that way.
Also set your HDMI ports for 'Full' for 'Dynamic Range' and to 'Enhanced Format'.
These will set the range to 0-255 for the PC output and Enhanced to enable full 18Gbps for full fat HDMI.
As for PC will likely be outputting 60hz, then when set to Standard Format (default settings) then the projector will only accept 8bit colour @60hz.
i.e. Not HDR.

ivanzrh

Novice Member
Hi, thanks for the answer.
I changed the resolution to 3840x2160 but menus are exactly the same (btw, Windows keeps on saying that the recommended resolution is 1920x1080).

HDMI port in the projector was set as Full already.

Now, after hours playing with it, I have managed to play a bit with the colors, gains, bias, etc, and I think I'm ok with the colors on SDR mode. HDR mode is still not good, and it is not detected automatically by the projector.

Intel UHD 630 reports that hardware supports HDR 10 bit color, I could use HDR with my previous projector (and automatically changed once set in Windows), but reading your message, I will not be able to use HDR with the Sony VW325/290ES?

Thanks again!!

DB9S

Sorry, I meant that changing to 3840 would enable all motionflow options etc. 4096 does not. Also make sure you are sending YCbCr to the projector not RGB as that is not an HDR format.
As to the resolution, then yes the recommended resolution is 1920x1080 I believe. Check the manual to be sure. 4k should work though.

Last edited:

skalmen

Personally, I would go for faux 4K instead of 1080p, like Epson.
hi
i bought yesterday sony vpl-vw290 es and already installed after 4 years of using Sony Hw55, and its a difference night and day , 290 is much sharper better blacks ,richer color , best in all aspect then hw55, its bit noisier at full lamp mode but in low lamp difference is marginal i highly recommended 4k , vibrant and clarity of 4k from apple tv or netflix even with 4k sdr is perfect

hi
i bought yesterday sony vpl-vw290 es and already installed after 4 years of using Sony Hw55, and its a difference night and day , 290 is much sharper better blacks ,richer color , best in all aspect then hw55, its bit noisier at full lamp mode but in low lamp difference is marginal i highly recommended 4k , vibrant and clarity of 4k from apple tv or netflix even with 4k sdr is perfect
How much had the panels/ contrast degraded on the HW55?

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom