NEWS: Sony launches HT-G700 Dolby Atmos soundbar

Ripper83

Mine is on about 25. No green light but think that’s because I have the dimmer off, it flashes if I adjust the volume.
Connected to the tv via ARC

Russ_64

Mine is also HDMI on the ARC input.

Flashing amber light on Sub means it is not connecting, see page 15 in manual and perform manual link again.

Ripper83

I did a system reset and sub light is now green. Hasn’t made any difference to sound though.

Had visit from sound engineer today, he thought low end bass output from sub was very poor. Only thing they can do for now is swap it for another unit to see if that is any different so that will be arriving next week.

The sub is definitely working but bass is only felt when the volume is turned up really high, if it turns out that it’s just how this Soundbar is I don’t know what I will do. Hughes said if I’m still not happy I can swap it for something else.
Not sure what else I would try as this was the very top end of my budget, the Sonos Beam was my other consideration before I bought this but I fear I’d miss the bass even more with that.

mrrcoffey

Standard Member
Could anyone with this soundbar play a 4K Blu Ray with a DTS:X soundtrack and tell me what the display on the unit says? I am just getting ‘DTS’ which is worrying me that I’m not actually getting proper DTS:X through. My setup is XBox One X to soundbar, then soundbar to TV.

Cartmen

Novice Member
Comparing this soundbar to a real 5.1 sound system which would you chose? I have the space to put the 5.1 system, but it would also be interesting to have a sound system with Atmos. Does the g700 worth it for atmos or should I just get the 5.1 sound system?

lbphillips

Comparing this soundbar to a real 5.1 sound system which would you chose? I have the space to put the 5.1 system, but it would also be interesting to have a sound system with Atmos. Does the g700 worth it for atmos or should I just get the 5.1 sound system?
I had the whole 5.1.2 setup based around a Marantz AVR.

I only have a small room, and found with the current covid situation and working from home I was listening much more to stereo.

I had already bought an Audiolab for HT passthrough.

got sick of all the boxes around the room, so stripped out the whole AV setup, went simple 2.0 stereo and picked up one of these for movies and TV.

Lets be honest - it is a sound bar with a lot of fancy electronic to try and mimic a full atmos setup. Does it sound as good as the dedicated one - no, does it sound good - yes - I'm very happy. On some soundtracks the 'fake' decoding and phantom speaker placement is enough to enhance the enjoyment of a film. When it works, it can actually be quite amazing.

I am happy with my decision, but ultimately you have to make your own choice ,

Russ_64

I agree with above. I have both this SB and a full 5.1.2 (see my Sig below).

If I watch Atmos UHD, ATV4K and sometimes Sky Cinema UHD w/Atmos then I use my HT. I use the SB for everyday TV using Sky Q for all channels / recorded. G700 is great for TV (almost all channels are now Dolby Digital) and for HD movies (DD+). But you will not get the true "overhead" sound effect from a 3.1 SB. Also, some have been disappointed by the Bass from the SW but I find it good - but as I said it is not same as a 12" 300w SW.

As with all things - you get what you pay for :) If you go for a SB only and want full Atmos, there are other SB's that do that for much more money. Bottom line - the G700 is a very good SB for the money but you can get the ZF9 if you want 5.1 or the ST5000, etc.

Ripper83

My issue is I don’t have Sky Q, only Sky HD and there is a lot less broadcast in DD on that, for example f1.

As a result if I set the Soundbar to DD a lot of broadcasts sound very empty as it ends up just pumping out audio mainly from the dialogue middle speaker so I have to set it to PCM to get a more fuller sound and rely on the IAE setting to do It’s tricks.

I have a replacement unit coming next week so really hoping this proves my sub was faulty as I’m not sure what I will do if it turns out that it’s just how it is.

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming to Netflix in November 2020: Tom's Thumbs.
Top Bottom