NEWS: Sony launches HT-G700 Dolby Atmos soundbar

Russ_64

I got my new HT-G700 and set it up yesterday. So far I am happy, the bar looks and feels quality. Sub was a bit bigger than I expected but it looks good and works fine plus nice that it is wireless.

Sound is full (goes louder than my old one) and voice is clear from center speaker. Only watched some TV and Sky movie (not Atmos), the Immersive Sound did make it sound fuller (but I was not expecting full surround). The front display is nice to see what is going on (I prefer this to OSD) and nice that Dimmer has an off option. It is a definite step up from my old Yamaha YSP-1600.

Will try the TV via ARC and Atmos later today - I do not expect to get full Atmos, I have a proper HT for that. Just nice that the bar can decode all modern codecs and now I can go into SB and then to TV using HDMI (no more Optical out from TV).

Shanew1705

How are people finding this sound bar then a few weeks later, is there many settings to change out of the box?

Russ_64

So far, I am very happy. Sound quality is very good. There are a few settings to configure to your preferences but the manual is clear and it is easy using the remote with the options displayed on the SB.

javelina

Novice Member
Picked up one of these a few days ago. Using it with a Sony Bravia XBR-X900F (2018) and an Apple TV 4K. Bravia didn’t support Atmos pass through so had to plug the ATV directly into the SB. Had upgrade the cable Sony includes to an 18G one so I could get Dolby Vision.

Last edited:

Marakk

Novice Member
Has anyone compared this Sony with Philips TAPB603? That offers a similar configuration at a lower cost.

nbullus

Novice Member
This arrived today from MartinDawes, £375 thanks to the poster here who pointed out the New25 code. I've never actually had a surround setup or soundbar before so going to run some atmos content through it tomorrow from my Shield and try to get this up and running properly. The device menu seems quite difficult to use with the screen size... Initial impressions were that it sounded good, but was underwhelmed by the "vertical sound stage". Also the AE button didn't seem to work, it kept displaying "NOT USE" whenever it was pressed. I imagine these are all setting related though, so I'll report back once I've had a proper play tomorrow. If anyone can help on any of this, please shout!
There are three virtual surround effects (SONY, DTS or DOLBY) available in the menu. If you pick either of the latter two then AE is disabled as this is specific to SONY, hence if you try and use it you get the "NOT USE" message. You have to select "SOUND MODE ON" which is SONY's virtual surround effect to use the AE button. Also the CINEMA, STANDARD, MUSIC buttons only work when you select "SOUND MODE ON" as well, but you can turn IAE on/off with any of these sound source modes.

nbullus

Novice Member
ST5000 News

I originally bought the HT-ST500 sound bar, and like many others, was dissapointed with the overhead effects from the two up firing drivers. Its a great sound bar, but not for the £1000 I paid for it. Luckily it developed a common fault (sound was replaced by a high pitched constant tone requiring you to reset every time - sometimes 2/3 times in a movie). It went to SONY for repair last month and I was astonished at the response:

1. They no longer have the parts (main system board) available to repair.
2. They no longer have any new ST5000 stock to replace with on like for like basis in their warranty.

This means the ST5000 is on its way out and SONY are keeping very tight lipped about its replacement. I suspect something is on the horizon and they will want to try and trump the SONOS ARC and bring out a better high end sound bar with rear speakers and a sub - HURAY!!!!!!

Anyway, SONY offered me the HT-G700 as the next best replacement, but I turned this down given it was less than half the price of what I paid for the ST5000. They gladly then refunded my full £1000. I couldn't be without a sounder and so decided to buy the G700 which I got for £399 until something better was released. I was very surprised to hear just how good this sound bar was.

The instructions took some getting used too as I've come to expect with SONY, but eventually I downloaded a load of DTS and DOLBY demos and then played them using the three different virtual surround engines (DOLBY Virtualizer, DTS Virtual:X and SONY's own IAE). Although some demos were a bit more precise using the DOLBY Virtualizer, the overall sound was undynamic. Play the same demo's using the SONY IAE and you will blown away with just how much better it sounds. Wider soundstage, a lot more dynamic and so much punch. Just play the DTS-X demo with the exploding cube and it literally explodes in front of you and slaps you round the face. This same demo has no such impact using DTSs own Virtual:X which was uprising given its their own demo. This is actually good news as it sounds the best for movies right out the box, and after messing round with the other effects in the cumbersome menu, you can just press the AUTO SOUND button and it resets everything back to SONY's IAE without having to change it all again in the Menu.

Yes you won't get much in the way of massive overhead/rear effects, but you do get some it does an amazing job when you consider its using just three speakers. Speech was also very clear (even without pressing the Voice enhancing button) which was also nice to hear. The fact that you can get this for £375 from Martin Dawes using the NEW25 voucher code (thanks to however found this) is a steal. Yes the SONOS ARC is better, but is it more than twice the price at £799? Add in the cost of sub if it is needed, and you're into serious money.

Hopefully the ST5000 replacement is looming round the corner and it will do a better job this time round with better height speakers and much needed rear speakers (even if they are optional extra purchase like on the ZF9) that a lot of people asked for!

But for now, I will enjoy the HT-G700 which has brought a smile to my face after being disappointed by the ST5000 for ATMOS/DTS-X.

SmAShY

ST5000 News

I originally bought the HT-ST500 sound bar, and like many others, was dissapointed with the overhead effects from the two up firing drivers. Its a great sound bar, but not for the £1000 I paid for it. Luckily it developed a common fault (sound was replaced by a high pitched constant tone requiring you to reset every time - sometimes 2/3 times in a movie). It went to SONY for repair last month and I was astonished at the response:

1. They no longer have the parts (main system board) available to repair.
2. They no longer have any new ST5000 stock to replace with on like for like basis in their warranty.

This means the ST5000 is on its way out and SONY are keeping very tight lipped about its replacement. I suspect something is on the horizon and they will want to try and trump the SONOS ARC and bring out a better high end sound bar with rear speakers and a sub - HURAY!!!!!!

Anyway, SONY offered me the HT-G700 as the next best replacement, but I turned this down given it was less than half the price of what I paid for the ST5000. They gladly then refunded my full £1000. I couldn't be without a sounder and so decided to buy the G700 which I got for £399 until something better was released. I was very surprised to hear just how good this sound bar was.

The instructions took some getting used too as I've come to expect with SONY, but eventually I downloaded a load of DTS and DOLBY demos and then played them using the three different virtual surround engines (DOLBY Virtualizer, DTS Virtual:X and SONY's own IAE). Although some demos were a bit more precise using the DOLBY Virtualizer, the overall sound was undynamic. Play the same demo's using the SONY IAE and you will blown away with just how much better it sounds. Wider soundstage, a lot more dynamic and so much punch. Just play the DTS-X demo with the exploding cube and it literally explodes in front of you and slaps you round the face. This same demo has no such impact using DTSs own Virtual:X which was uprising given its their own demo. This is actually good news as it sounds the best for movies right out the box, and after messing round with the other effects in the cumbersome menu, you can just press the AUTO SOUND button and it resets everything back to SONY's IAE without having to change it all again in the Menu.

Yes you won't get much in the way of massive overhead/rear effects, but you do get some it does an amazing job when you consider its using just three speakers. Speech was also very clear (even without pressing the Voice enhancing button) which was also nice to hear. The fact that you can get this for £375 from Martin Dawes using the NEW25 voucher code (thanks to however found this) is a steal. Yes the SONOS ARC is better, but is it more than twice the price at £799? Add in the cost of sub if it is needed, and you're into serious money.

Hopefully the ST5000 replacement is looming round the corner and it will do a better job this time round with better height speakers and much needed rear speakers (even if they are optional extra purchase like on the ZF9) that a lot of people asked for!

But for now, I will enjoy the HT-G700 which has brought a smile to my face after being disappointed by the ST5000 for ATMOS/DTS-X.
I had the Sony HT-X8500 and found the Sony setting considerably better than Dolby Surround and DTS: Virtual X.

nbullus

Novice Member
Sony always seems to have a confusing roadmap and nothing they release seems to make much sense, but that's because we never get to see their full roadmap. As they release new products they tend to overlap with existing and outgoing products.

In the hotly contested ATMOS arena we currently have the following 5 SONY sound bars still available to buy (although some of these are no longer in production):

Apr 2019 HT-X8500 (2.1 one box) £350 rrp
Oct 2018 HT-XF9000 (2.1 two box) £450 rrp
Jun 2020 HT-G700 (3.1 two box) £450 rrp
Oct 2018 HT-ZF9 (3.1 two box) £650 rrp + HA-ZA9 optional rears £300 rrp
Apr 2017 HT-ST5000 (7.1.2 two box) £1500 rrp

So where does it go from here?

As far as I am concerned, the newly released HT-G700 replaces the outgoing HT-XF9000 (which can still be picked up for under £280) on a like for like basis.

Production of the HT-ST5000 has now stopped (unlike the ZF9) and remaining stock can be picked up for under £1000. Given the ST5000 was the first SONY ATMOS bar released, couple with the fact is being discontinued, it is likely to be the next one replaced in the roadmap, followed by the ZF9 a bit later.

I suspect the ST5000 will get a completely new design, and will be marketed with optional forward/up firing rears. I also expect the ZF9 replacement to be just a spec'd up G700 (WIFI + extra HDMI inputs) and a pair of rears included as standard. This brings the roadmap back in line with the four/five target markets:

Apr 2019 HT-X8500 (2.1 one box) £350 rrp
Jun 2020 HT-G700 (3.1 two box) £450 rrp
??? 2021 HT-ZF? (5.1 four box) £750 rrp
Oct 2020 HT-ST? (7.1.4 two/four box) £1250 + £350 optional rears

My advice for anyone who has the ST5000 under warranty and experiencing any issues, hold back and send it in for repair as late as possible. They cannot repair certain issues (other than wonky connections, PSU and certain drivers) and so they would then have to replace with a similar/better spec, i.e. its replacement! Until that replacement comes, you'll just get your money back if its not repairable.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LCD TVs for Movies, Laser Projectors, RIP Ennio Morricone, AV & Movie news, B+W Matt Damon
Top Bottom