NEWS: Sony launches flagship HT-A7000 soundbar

And again, no upfiring rear speakers, these fake audio channel systems really shouldn't qualify for the Atmos sticker.

Samsung is like 1800 when not on sale; Klipsch is up to 1600, this is 2000. Not "crazy" or "very expensive" at all. And no atmos setup is going to sound good unless the speakers are in the ceiling.

Frankly the other system they announced today, the A9, sounds better.

Wonder how this compares to the Sennheiser Ambeo

I wish it was 7.1.4 but I like the optional bigger sub which is quite interesting.

And again, no upfiring rear speakers, these fake audio channel systems really shouldn't qualify for the Atmos sticker.

Disagree. I have owned powerful separates and the sound from modern day soundbars is not fake.

I now have Samsung Q950a and would like you to check it. I am amazed by how good and immersive it sounds.

My main concern with soundbar system is the missing deep bass. If this issue is addressed then I will be happy to stick to soundbars on a permanent basis.

I too was under the same impression misled by the hardcore separates crowd but after trying, I am now starting to appreciate the fact that soundbars have come a long way.

If you live in small to medium sized rooms with low flat ceiling, soundbars are almost perfect.

The Samsung HW-Q950T 9.1.4 is currently £999 with upfiring Atmos surrounds, why bother with the over priced Sony. Or you have the option of the JBL

I agree with @Igans316. The Samsung flagship soundbars that I own have convincing overhead effects. Fit my space well and I can also enjoy Atmos / DTS:X.
I also agree that the new generation of Atmos sound bars are extremely good for effects etc, they do sometimes lack thumping deep bass which you'd get from bigger speakers, subwoofers and amplifiers etc but this comes at the expense of room esthetics and higher costs.
I have owned 2 Atmos sound bars in the past but ultimately went the dedicated speakers + AVR route. However I already had a set of JAMO THX speakers stored away, so the cost wasn't as much for me to move back to a AVR + speakers setup.

I think that overall, it looks promising for a single box solution. It will be interesting to see how it reviews. My only real concern is its width. If I read the specs. correctly it’s 1.3m, which I suspect will be too big for many potential users, me included. I’ll just have to wait for the reviews, but as it stands, it’s on my list …

I think that overall, it looks promising for a single box solution. It will be interesting to see how it reviews. My only real concern is its width. If I read the specs. correctly it’s 1.3m, which I suspect will be too big for many potential users, me included. I’ll just have to wait for the reviews, but as it stands, it’s on my list …

That's 130 cm, roughly the width of Samsung soundbars and 24 cms less than LG soundbars.

I prefer wider soundbars as you get nice separation (on paper) from LCR channels.

Mega money for the top-spec full suite though, E2600 (roughly £2200 at current exchange rates?). How much have the ST5000 and ZF9 dropped from their release prices?
As zubeir, would be difficult to look past a discounted run-out Samsung 950. Look forward to reviews and to seeing how the pricing settles

My current Yamaha bar is about 1m in width, so I think that I should be able to accommodate 1.3m. I like the idea of the built-in subs., though how effective they'll be compared to a dedicated unit is currently an unknown. that said, I don't think that Sony's 8500 bar with built-in subs. is too shabby, and it's one less box to worry about. Besides, I'm not keen on wireless subs.

Reading the specs there are upfiring speakers
Disagree. I have owned powerful separates and the sound from modern day soundbars is not fake.

I now have Samsung Q950a and would like you to check it. I am amazed by how good and immersive it sounds.

My main concern with soundbar system is the missing deep bass. If this issue is addressed then I will be happy to stick to soundbars on a permanent basis.

I too was under the same impression misled by the hardcore separates crowd but after trying, I am now starting to appreciate the fact that soundbars have come a long way.

If you live in small to medium sized rooms with low flat ceiling, soundbars are almost perfect.
I have the sony htzf 9 with rears and would agree, no complaints over sound, I found the bass overpowering on it and had to dial it down.
For the sake of neighbours and other members of house as description was "house feels like its shaking" when watching overlord opening scene.

I previously had sony davs 550 system and the soundbar with rears was an improvement.

Price of the Samsung HW-Q950T has dropped, now £899 at John Lewis and other retailers.

That's 130 cm, roughly the width of Samsung soundbars and 24 cms less than LG soundbars.

I prefer wider soundbars as you get nice separation (on paper) from LCR channels.
The Samsung measures 123cm, perfect under a 65" Wall mounted or stand.

Yes. Right.

Klipsch 1200 - 135 CMS
LG - 143 CMS
Samsung - 123 CMS

The Samsung measures 123cm, perfect under a 65" Wall mounted or stand.

Reading the specs there are upfiring speakers
On the main unit, not the rear speakers and that's part of the appeal of such a system. Samsung, LG, JBL have upfiring rears on their systems so it stands out when a company claims a "Dolby Atmos" system yet doesnt cover one of the core features of the format.

Last edited:
On the main unit, not the rear speakers and that's part of the appeal of such a system. Samsung, LG, JBL have upfiring rears on their systems so it stands out when a company claims a "Dolby Atmos" system yet doesnt cover one of the core features of the format.
Im fine with it find sound is good.

But you could argue only seperates systems with downward roof speakers are true atmos.

I take the view if buyers are happy then all good.

Each to their own.

Absolutely, sound bars like this are awesome for the main family room, when you want a real immersive experience you build a dedicated theatre room, anything else is a compromise.

So its not possible to use your own subwoffer to this system?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom