NEWS: Sony launches flagship HT-A7000 soundbar

JonHilmar

Standard Member
Would you please consider reviewing the Sony HT-A7000 Soundbar, including optional Suwbwoofer and rear speakers? I am looking for a premium soundbar and it has favourable reviews. Just not from any outlet with your standing in the community.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
A very odd room layout. What about rear speakers?

MrMrH

Watching the end battle of Avengers Endgame
@Buckster666 - What are your first thoughts and basic impressions? (I know it takes time to fully understand all the pros and cons so just keen on a quick idea how you find it).

Buckster666

So folks had a good play with the soundbar over the last few days and boy this soundbar is worth every penny.

Setup is a breeze, connects to the Internet and firmware updates for the soundbar and the subwoofer download and install, after which I ran the sound optimization and off we go.

Arc performance is great, Dolby Atmos picked up fine from the built in Netflix app on my Panasonic GZ950, same goes for my Xbox Series X, as the soundbar doesn't support VRR or ALLM have it connected to the TV and Arc for the sound.

With 2 HDMI inputs I have my Nvidia Shield TV pro and the audio out of my Panasonic UB820 4K Blu ray player.

My Shield TV is the 2017 version so no Dolby Vision, but passes HDR10 perfectly and Disney Plus does flag Dolby Atmos.

So on to the performance, it is awesome, coming from a Yamaha YSP-4300 Soundbar, that was a very front heavy sound, but the Sony really has a better sense of separation of the channels, dialogue is clear from the centre channel and all other channels firing on all cylinders, and Atmos effect was surprisingly good. Also adding the subwoofer really makes a difference with base levels.

Watched some of Episodes of Game of Thrones, the opening theme tune thundered and filled the room, but it was the little sound effects of hearing water dripping down in dungeon scene when Ned Stark is visited by Varys that really impressed me with that sound placement.

Next up Godzilla, and wow, it felt like I was in a cinema. Godzilla's roar and fire breath were loud, and you can hear Muto's legs come crash down as the human characters are beneath them, making the low end rumble the room.

Then watched the final fight of Godzilla - King of the Monsters. Hearing Mothra flying down from the cloud to attack King Ghidorah, and hear the sound separation as the building coming crashing down was spectacular.

The opening race of Ready Player One, my wife described as an assault on the senses, sounds coming from all over and loud low end.

Overall this a great soundbar with an engaging sound stage. Easy setup and operation, especially when I programmed my Logitech Harmony for it. Hopefully Sony will add VRR and ALLM as this will make it a great choice for Gamers, but for now, movie lovers should definitely considered picking this up.

I'll be redecorating my living room soon, at present I have the TV in the corner, which for a soundbar is never the best placement, so feel I'll get much better results when I place it in front of my bay window, I'll also be adding the rear speakers then as well.

Last edited:

outoftheknow

Hopefully Sony will add VRR and ALLM as this will make it a great choice for Gamers, but for now, movie lovers should definitely considered picking this up.
That’s one of the weirder decisions by Sony I reckon. Passthrough the 2.1 standard video features like 4K/120 and 8K but not VRR and ALLM…….

That’s one of the weirder decisions by Sony I reckon. Passthrough the 2.1 standard video features like 4K/120 and 8K but not VRR and ALLM…….

Its not worth Sony adding it now when the PS5 doesn’t support VRR or ALLM and only the competition consoles do.

Additionally there’s not enough 8K content out to hedging bets on it now. I’m OK with them excluding 8K as we’ve barely peaked (IMO) with new full HDR 4K content.

ReyTK

Novice Member
Been waiting for rear speakers on the HTST-5000 since I bought it in 2017, so excited for this to finally come out.

Seems it only has 2 HDMI ports though, that's disappointing. I use all three currently. I went in to my local Best Buy and ordered it regardless. Hope the menu navigates better, HATE the menu on the old one.

SibTiger33

Quick question folks.

I'm interested in this new Sony soundbar as I need to replace separates (too much kit looks a bit messy)

Do you need the extra subwoofer and rears or will the unit sound good enough on its own? (or would it be better to go with another unit with a separate subwoofer)?

Buckster666

Quick question folks.

I'm interested in this new Sony soundbar as I need to replace separates (too much kit looks a bit messy)

Do you need the extra subwoofer and rears or will the unit sound good enough on its own? (or would it be better to go with another unit with a separate subwoofer)?
I purchased it with the subwoofer and definitely makes a difference. I'll be adding the rear speakers at a later date.

MisterLeeches

Novice Member
What-Hi-Fi have just given it 5*.

"It’s an incredibly competent, future-proofed performer that enhances everything we watch and sets a new benchmark for Dolby Atmos soundbars at its price."

Mines on order at Richer Sounds and I'm hoping it turns up this week!

UMAR 3:16

What-Hi-Fi have just given it 5*.

"It’s an incredibly competent, future-proofed performer that enhances everything we watch and sets a new benchmark for Dolby Atmos soundbars at its price."

Mines on order at Richer Sounds and I'm hoping it turns up this week!
Andrew Robison said it’s total trash!

SibTiger33

Andrew Robison said it’s total trash!

Umm interesting so he felt the SP9YA is better than the Sony (I actually brought the SP9YA when I couldn't get the a7000 and honestly I was very surprised - he's great! - looks like I made a good choice)

Although moaning about the fact it doesn't include a sub and surround is void IMO. He really should have known that!

Last edited:

lgans316

Distinguished Member
He totally loved the HT-A9 stating it’s the new benchmark

Most of them preferred the HT-A9 with subwoofer over the soundbar with sub.

According to this guy Andrew Robinson, he says the HT-A9 with sub pips Samsung Q950 and Ambeo.

I am tempted to try this HT-A9 but once again it comes with a tiny 7 inch sub and a passive radiator.

Last edited:

MrMrH

I'm waiting for the review here, and preferably while it's also connected up to a Sony TV with the Acoustic Surface.

I'm waiting for the review here, and preferably while it's also connected up to a Sony TV with the Acoustic Surface.
Acoustic surface was a real negative on both Sony systems according to Andrew

MisterLeeches

Novice Member
A lot of reviews complain about the price, but after the recent Sonos hike for me it's actually cheaper to get the Sony + sub.

With the arc I'd need a arcana to even get Atmos to it as my still performing great 2017 Sony 900e doesn't have Atmos passthrough, and I would also then need a hdmi switch.

I'd also need it with the a9 as that only has 1 hdmi input, plus the cost of that system and a sub is £400 more than I paid for the a7000 plus a sub.

My understanding of the Immersive AE technology is that it adds height to normal 5.1 and stereo audio. I'm not sure why Andrew Robinson was passing it an Atmos feed and then adding virtual processing over the top.

ozzzy189

Distinguished Member
Would you please consider reviewing the Sony HT-A7000 Soundbar, including optional Suwbwoofer and rear speakers? I am looking for a premium soundbar and it has favourable reviews. Just not from any outlet with your standing in the community.
AR says it's trash, and I wouldn't ever go on anything what hi fi say tbh.
If I was looking for a new sound solution, (which I am but not just yet) the HT A9 would be right at the top of my list.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Black Friday 2021: What you need to know
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Blu-ray Special - The Cinema of Zhang Yimou & Gong Li
  • By Mark Costello
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 24th November 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Panasonic 2021 TV update brings full 4K resolution with VRR and HFR