NEWS: Sony launches Bravia XR A80J OLED TVs in Europe

indus

Distinguished Member
The X81J sits quite low down as it’s an edge-lit model. The X95J (replacing the 9505) will be much better as it is a FALD model, but at that size it will also be double the price.

Thank you, I didn't really have a grasp of the Sony model hierarchy.
I'll see if I can find the price of the X95J...I might splash out!

MechaGodzilla

Thank you, I didn't really have a grasp of the Sony model hierarchy.
I'll see if I can find the price of the X95J...I might splash out!
For their 2021 LCDs, it goes like this, from the top on down:

Master Series Z9J (comes in 75" and 85")
X95J (65", 75" and 85")
X90J + X93J/X94J (50", 55", 65" and 75")
X85J + X89J (43", 50", 55", 65", 75" and 85")
X80J + X81J (43", 50", 55", 65" and 75")

So X81J is a variant of X80J. These number variations for the same TV usually mean that they're sold at different retailers, offer somewhat different accessories (like stands) and so on. The X85J and X80J are both edge-lit, and use the "standard" X1 processor. The Z9J, X95J and X90J give you full-array local dimming and the latest, most advanced XR processor.

Like TomRetro said, the X95J is the successor to last year's XH9505. The X90J replaces the XH9005, and the Z9J replaces the ZH8.

Last edited:

itcsburnett

Novice Member
Yes these and HDM1 2.1 support. Quite a decent upgrade overall, particularly after a price drop.
And for me the addition of Google TV. AS I do most of my viewing between Netflix & Hulu have an aggregated source with a watch list will be huge. No more trying to recall what service my show or movie is on!

capt_janeway

55" A80J update from Sony Centre

Expecting stock end of April start of May and can pre-order now on 01228 542824
£2049 is the price for the 55"

Called them and was told only two 55" due at end of month so decided to go for it. So proud owner to be of the Sony 55A84J!

Last edited:

capt_janeway

Called today and the 55" is still due early May. Price confirmed at £1899.

capt_janeway

Spoke to Sony Centre again today and was told 'some time next month' for the A80/4J...the person I spoke to felt they wanted to sort the A90J pre-orders first and then the next model down would get rolled out.

IL Cattivo

@jmacc Lovin the new avatar look pal.. :smashin:
Has a trigger been pulled on a 77" A80J then?

IL Cattivo

I have mate :D
now the looooooong wait for stock to arrive :rotfl:
:clap: :clap: YAY... Awesome mate, chuffed for yer.. You ain't gonna be disappointed I'm sure.
Sony have knocked it out of the ballpark across all their ranges this year by the looks of it.
Who did you go with (retailer) in the end?

jmacc

Distinguished Member
:clap: :clap: YAY... Awesome mate, chuffed for yer.. You ain't gonna be disappointed I'm sure.
Sony have knocked it out of the ballpark across all their ranges this year by the looks of it.
Who did you go with (retailer) in the end?
:thumbsup:
I went with currys as they had a 15% cashback running last weekend.

couldn't resist :blush: :blush:
Already have a a90j backlit controller sitting here waiting for the a80j.

IL Cattivo

Already have a a90j backlit controller sitting here waiting for the a80j.
and nice they are too... very useful of a night, so wise investment. :thumbsup: I did the same thing with my UB820 and paid extra for the UB9000 upgraded remote.
I think all my controllers are backlit, with the exception of the SkyQ one, but that's Sky for yer!! Lazy.

jmacc

Distinguished Member

jmacc

Distinguished Member
Do we know if Sony or RS are taking orders along with Currys?
I spoke to "my guy" from sony centres, he said his shop is due in 2 x a80j this week but cant see any in the warehouse for delivery order yet, he reckoned in the next 10 days.

capt_janeway

I spoke to "my guy" from sony centres, he said his shop is due in 2 x a80j this week but cant see any in the warehouse for delivery order yet, he reckoned in the next 10 days.

ooo I wonder if that was the two I was told about a couple of weeks ago....if so, one may be mine 😎

capt_janeway

They were 77"ers
Ah maybe Carlisle have the 55" ers then - that's who I spoke to....sounding very like the poor devils on the A90J thread now!

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sennheiser Consumer Electronics acquired by Sonova
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Freeview Play viewers get Android TV homescreen update
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Hisense announces US TV and soundbar ranges for 2021
  • By Andy Bassett