NEWS: Sony Launch New Budget UBP-X500 4K Blu-ray Player

I guarantee you this will be cheaper than £200. The x700 was £139 on prime day, so there's plenty of headroom for profit to sell a more cheaply made product at that price.

I just wish there was a version of the x800 with DV and a non-fixed power lead.

Interesting price point. Only an extra £30 to get you the X700 with DV support.

The X700 has been available for less than £200 for ages, this will need to drop to £130 or less to sell and meet similar competitors specification models.

The X700 has been available for less than £200 for ages, this will need to drop to £130 or less to sell and meet similar competitors specification models.

I was going by the official prices on Sony's website. Obviously retail will vary :)

I was going by the official prices on Sony's website. Obviously retail will vary :)

Started out at £279, retail prices have very little relevance after launch unless it a brand like Oppo.

You can pick up the x700 for around 160 if you look but I suppose it could match up with the old ks8500 and other older 4k players.

I must say I've always liked these little units from Sony for bluray playback. Next time these come on offer I'll pick one up for the lounge - have the X800 for the cinema room and that is a really nice box for the money.

I must say I've always liked these little units from Sony for bluray playback. Next time these come on offer I'll pick one up for the lounge - have the X800 for the cinema room and that is a really nice box for the money.
The x800 is a beautiful machine and I would have preferred to have the x800 with Dolby Vision.
But I was surprised in how much I like the x700 and the way it looks and I think that is to do with its small size. I also like not having to mess about trying to find the USB port.

I think you guys are missing my point. Regardless of the street price, Sony are pricing the inclusion of Dolby Vision at a £30 premium, based on their web site prices, since all else appears to be equal.

I think you guys are missing my point. Regardless of the street price, Sony are pricing the inclusion of Dolby Vision at a £30 premium, based on their web site prices, since all else appears to be equal.
I understood, but I don't see what the point of the box unless it gets priced more like 50 pounds less.

But that extra £30 also gives a second HDMI socket and the digital audio output. However as the X700 is actually currently cheaper by £3 to £13, £197 or less and has been upto £40 or even £60 cheaper it's no contest.

Compare that with LG's current models, a £100 premium for Dolby Video. UBK90 £249 vs UBK80 £149.

Give me the Sony X700 anyway, actually I purchased one and returned the previous model LG UP970 model which cost me over £300, saving me over £140 which purchased a Panasonic UB300 as a stop gap (which I am keeping also) and still gave me money back.

Especially as the x700 is "relatively" inexpensive its just trying to fill a gap that doesn't seem to be there.

Exactly! Why bother with the X500 when the X700 is only a little more and includes DV.

Exactly! Why bother with the X500 when the X700 is only a little more and includes DV.

RRP yes, retail not currently.

But that extra £30 also gives a second HDMI socket and the digital audio output. However as the X700 is actually currently cheaper by £3 to £13, £197 or less and has been upto £40 or even £60 cheaper it's no contest.
It's a bit pointless comparing the SRP for a new product to the current sell price of an old product; that will sort itself out with the passage of time.

It's a bit pointless comparing the SRP for a new product to the current sell price of an old product; that will sort itself out with the passage of time.
True, but I think the point is that the price difference would have to be pretty substantial for there to be any point to it at all. Which I suppose is the point you were alluding to. ;)

For me, a second HDMI is a must.

I don't it's illegitimate to note that another model gives you more for less money. Certainly this will probably be cheaper at some point in the future, but right now it's not good value.

I find it highly frustrating that they keep choosing between SACD and Dolby Vision.

Having said that, my projector does not have Dolby Vision so...

I find it highly frustrating that they keep choosing between SACD and Dolby Vision.

Having said that, my projector does not have Dolby Vision so...
For the most part I just leave Dolby Vision on. I find the tone mapping for most films seems to be very similar anyway. Obviously this will vary from TV to TV and film to film.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have Sony added HDR 10+ to any of their players yet?

Have Sony added HDR 10+ to any of their players yet?
Nope. But then there isn't any HDR10+ content around either, no matter what Amazon says. My guess is that Sony being Sony, they will add this to a new generation of players rather than update their existing players. They will of course charge more for this new feature. Hopefully I am wrong.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom