NEWS: Sony introduces HT-A9 home theatre system

Mine is here but I very inconveniently caught Covid again o_O and SWMBO decided to paint the walls in my room "to improve your TV contrast" she actually said :love:

Anyway real reason for this particular post.

June 2022 Home Cinema Choice Review by Steve May - 5/5 and Home Cinema Choice Best Buy Award.

"There’s no question that the HT-A9 creates a more involving soundstage than the majority of Dolby Atmos soundbars, even posh ones with upfiring Dolby Atmos drivers, but remarkably it’s also equal to a good mid-range AV receiver and physical loudspeaker package.

There is, of course, one obvious shortfall: that single HDMI input on the control box is a limitation. The system relies on your screen’s ability to act as the primary switch and source for AV gear and streaming services. You’ll need to take stock of your setup to see just how practical this restriction proves to be. As an alternative to a soundbar and even a full-blown home cinema system in a living room space, though, Sony HT-A9 is hugely impressive with movies, games and music. In fact, I’d say this inaugural implementation of 360 Spatial Sound Mapping with Monopole Synthesis is as much of a game changer as it is a tongue twister. Get an audition – I reckon you’ll be over the moon!"

"WE SAY: This stunning four-speaker system creates convincing immersive audio, with phantom speakers that sound smoother than the real thing. The results are astonishing."

Now we just need an AVForums review 11/10 and a Reference Status :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Changed my Panasonic JZ1500 TV stand up for a Bontec one so could push the speakers back further. Finally happy with my TV and my sound system now. It's taken a while to get to this point, always felt I was missing something but keeping it wife friendly. 😅
20220516_180308.JPG

After ordering today, I need to change my AV Unit. Yours looks perfect. Please can you tell me what it is and where did you get it from.
The the Besta range from IKEA. Loads of options if you build it online. Some bits tend to go out of stock quite quickly though, I had a stock alert set up for some of the doors and as soon as they came in I raced to Sheffield lol

Mine is here but I very inconveniently caught Covid again o_O and SWMBO decided to paint the walls in my room "to improve your TV contrast" she actually said :love:

Anyway real reason for this particular post.

June 2022 Home Cinema Choice Review by Steve May - 5/5 and Home Cinema Choice Best Buy Award.

"There’s no question that the HT-A9 creates a more involving soundstage than the majority of Dolby Atmos soundbars, even posh ones with upfiring Dolby Atmos drivers, but remarkably it’s also equal to a good mid-range AV receiver and physical loudspeaker package.

There is, of course, one obvious shortfall: that single HDMI input on the control box is a limitation. The system relies on your screen’s ability to act as the primary switch and source for AV gear and streaming services. You’ll need to take stock of your setup to see just how practical this restriction proves to be. As an alternative to a soundbar and even a full-blown home cinema system in a living room space, though, Sony HT-A9 is hugely impressive with movies, games and music. In fact, I’d say this inaugural implementation of 360 Spatial Sound Mapping with Monopole Synthesis is as much of a game changer as it is a tongue twister. Get an audition – I reckon you’ll be over the moon!"

"WE SAY: This stunning four-speaker system creates convincing immersive audio, with phantom speakers that sound smoother than the real thing. The results are astonishing."

Now we just need an AVForums review 11/10 and a Reference Status :thumbsup:
I have my Philips Hue Syncbox going into the A9 which gives you 4x HDMI 2.0 ports. Only downside is no 4K120Hz etc. Which at the moment isn’t a problem because my tv doesn’t support it.

I have my Philips Hue Syncbox going into the A9 which gives you 4x HDMI 2.0 ports. Only downside is no 4K120Hz etc. Which at the moment isn’t a problem because my tv doesn’t support it.
Ingenious idea for a hdmi switch

Correction: port 2 and 4 give 4K120Hz since software update, just no VRR, ALLM etc.

Correction: port 2 and 4 give 4K120Hz since software update, just no VRR, ALLM etc.
That is cool. Any plans for VRR?

Also mine has arrived!

Attachments

• 20220517_091841.jpg
    20220517_091841.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 46
Phoned Sony Centre Wembley earlier, HT-A9 & SW5 in stock. Being delivered next Friday whilst I’m working from home, I better get any work done before they arrive
They accidentally shipped them yesterday instead of Thursday, so nervously awaiting delivery. I'm getting no work done after these turn up. It's feels better than Christmas Day

Hi, I sold my Sonos system over the weekend, so now have the cash to add the sub 😅 Struggling to find where it can be placed though. Can be it be put anywhere like the Sonos sub could or does it need to be at the front? Thanks.

That is cool. Any plans for VRR?

Also mine has arrived!
Congrats and have fun!

There aren’t any plans for VRR, everyone’s been waiting for Philips to release a new version of the box for years and I have a feeling we’ll be waiting for a while longer…

Anyone had times when watching a 4K blu-ray (or anything for that matter) and Cinema mode sounded better than auto sound? I’m sure the rears sound better in cinema

Hi, I sold my Sonos system over the weekend, so now have the cash to add the sub 😅 Struggling to find where it can be placed though. Can be it be put anywhere like the Sonos sub could or does it need to be at the front? Thanks.
I have my sw5 behind my sofa and it works fine.

I do think cinema mode boosts the rears by 2 or 3.
I was watching Captain America, the Winter Soldier. Which has Atmos but I don’t think there’s many object based stuff going on.

Anyone got anything in lpcm they can test. I'm using a Zidoo Z9X plugged directly into the hdmi port of the the HT-A9 box but can't get any sound on lpcm. Every other codec has worked fine, just can't seem to get that to play. Only have a few movies with it, but wondering if it's my side or they haven't tested it properly 😅

Last edited:
I’ve tried the SW5 in several places and it sounds pretty much the same.

Dolby Atmos music on Tidal is pretty good on this!

It's an M5 screw that you need to attach it to the EONO stands. 25mm long should be sufficient
Yep none of the supplied screws worked! I've got the two stands ready for when screws arrive lol.

Can you wallmount these straight out of the box or do you need some brackets?

Also any major downside to wallmounting as opposed to placing them on speaker stands/pedestals?

Thanks.

What are other people doing though in terms of speaker placement? I think the fronts would look better wall mounted.

I've got an 83" A90J that I will use as the centre, and can probably put the FL and FR quite far apart but didn't want to go mad with it.

I have a vaulted ceiling in my extension where we have the TV so I wasn't sure the best course of action in terms of wall mount or freestand.

I like the look of my front speakers on the tv cabinet, definitely won't be wall mounting. Eventually I will get a new tv for the home theatre, and that is definitely going on the wall, so I will wait with drilling holes until I know what that looks like.

Also, from what I've seen, I'm not sure I'm a fan of grey speakers mounted on a white wall (why they don't do these speakers in Charcoal/black or whatever is beyond me).

I saw in a video that 'B the installer' used his A90J as the centre and he said it worked much better when the speakers were wallmounted at the same height, like so:
Screenshot_20220519-101832_YouTube.jpg

So I guess that's what I'll do.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom