NEWS: Sony introduces HT-A9 home theatre system

Did any of you put the speakers on the EONO stands that we talked about? If yes, what size screw did you need to attach them?

Didn't bother in the end. Went with a bigger TV unit. Got some other plans with it next week so watch this space ;)

In case anyone is interested, they are currently available on Currys for immediate delivery.

Still some up, my mates just bought a pair. Can't believe it, wait all that time, he hears mine yesterday and buys it within 1 day lol. Must be an influx of stock hitting the UK.

The 360 / Atmos audio on Tidal is also seriously impressive. Didn't think it would be able to better the Sonos but it does by a mile. Kraftwerk Atmos album is pure gold. The track Robots had my cats looking all over the room 😅

Did any of you put the speakers on the EONO stands that we talked about? If yes, what size screw did you need to attach them?
I have these stands for my rears. The stands come with an assortment of attachment bolts. I found some that worked well. I attached mine using the back connection point rather than from underneath.

I have these stands for my rears. The stands come with an assortment of attachment bolts. I found some that worked well. I attached mine using the back connection point rather than from underneath.
Cheers for that! The guy in the YouTube video said none of them fitted but I’ll give them a go then!

C0F6E04A-63A5-4B38-A228-D3085B5A4B4F.jpeg

Ready and waiting! 😁 started unboxing but then this little madam had other plans:

6C18BFE0-E954-433E-87F2-89200F206254.jpeg

I’ll see if she’ll let me have a go today!

Cheers for that! The guy in the YouTube video said none of them fitted but I’ll give them a go then!

View attachment 1696320

Ready and waiting! 😁 started unboxing but then this little madam had other plans:

View attachment 1696321

I’ll see if she’ll let me have a go today!
I'm so jealous…

…of the speakers 😂🤣 my daughter is 24

Congratulations on getting both but definitely your daughter. There is a chance I could have set my speakers up before you and I'm still waiting for them to be delivered.

Enjoy both

Pretty much agree with the above.

I’ve been experimenting with the centre channel sync on the A80J. I’m leaning more towards using it than not tbh. Voices just sound more natural coming from the actual centre of the sound stage but the virtual centre is pretty good as well.

Music is pretty good on it - definitely a nicer stereo sound than the Sonos Arc but you won’t get anything out of the rears unless you play 360 audio - the demo of which sounds incredible so tempted to renew my sub to Tidal.

There is a voucher in the box for 3/4 months free trial on the various platforms that have 360 audio.

I will say that the SW5 sub is pretty good and it gives you that deep rumble you get in a cinema. Definitely not as crisp as the Sonos for music - more like the muddy bass you get in a club - so some may love it some won’t but much better for movies IMO. I guess that just shows that Sonos are first and foremost designed for music.

I will say that I think the SW3 might actually be fine for most living rooms. I’m tempted to order one to compare.

Definitely happy with the purchase though. Amazing technology - it’s not hyperbole to say you definitely feel as if there are speakers all around and above you.

I have a large window behind my sofa - my living room is rectangular roughly 6x4m and I have the sofa up against the wall. I have the speakers wall mounted beside the window - with atmos content it sounds like the virtual rears are outside the window! It’s a very weird sensation but sounds incredible.
Thanks for sharing your first impressions. Interesting comment about the sub. My lounge is the same size as your room and I’m wondering if I should go for the sw5 or if the sw3 would be plenty enough for the room. Will pull the trigger when my HT-A9 pre-order is finally delivered

View attachment 1696365
Had to use a plastic spacer from the kit because the bolt that fitted was too long. But worked fine.
Funnily enough I did not have anything that fitted but luckily I found something in my “tin full of stuff that I must keep” in the garage. Speakers set up, couldn’t run the optimisation yet because the baby was sleeping. 🙄 continue tomorrow hopefully…

Thanks for sharing your first impressions. Interesting comment about the sub. My lounge is the same size as your room and I’m wondering if I should go for the sw5 or if the sw3 would be plenty enough for the room. Will pull the trigger when my HT-A9 pre-order is finally delivered
I’ve got the SW5 set to 5 when it goes up to 12 then MAX. Will probably adjust based on content.

Phoned Sony Centre Wembley earlier, HT-A9 & SW5 in stock. Being delivered next Friday whilst I’m working from home, I better get any work done before they arrive

It took a few days but got some play time today:

902D0601-41E7-42D4-8100-358418C6CA64.jpeg
A7EBE223-DDD4-4895-95B0-680B20B06AEF.jpeg
F955B1FF-11A3-4400-AB94-A3CB3DF34E33.jpeg

Still need to play with the settings etc. more and do some cable management but for now, I’m a very happy guy. Haven’t stopped smiling since the first demo!

Further thoughts...

Even my missus, aka techno bass junkie, thinks the bass from the SW5 is too much at full! I think it's probably going to need to be adjusted to whatever content you watch or when listening to music but the SW3 may be fine for most people.

Center channel sync on Bravia A80J is much better that the virtual centre IMO. When you hear them back to back you can hear the stereo separation on the virtual - its not a massive difference but to my ears it sounds more natural coming from the TV.

Having the speaker settings available on the A80J is quite useful.

If you enable Immersive AE when listening to music, it will upscale it to 360 audio and it sounds great - much better than the 'full' music effect on the Sonos set-up which essentially duplicates the stereo from the rears. Ive tested with Apple Music which doesn't support Sony's 360 audio (yet).

We cant get Airplay to work when using Spotify. We need to use Spotify Connect so there must be a bug.

One in the kit and also used a spacer from the kit.
I used the spacers too actually. Copied some of the settings posted here, loving the system so far.

I agree, the SW5 packs a punch. I turned it down a notch as well. Can’t wait to watch a whole proper 4K Blu ray! Maybe tomorrow 🤞

It's an M5 screw that you need to attach it to the EONO stands. 25mm long should be sufficient

View attachment 1696365
Had to use a plastic spacer from the kit because the bolt that fitted was too long. But worked fine.
I think you may have fitted the support upside down as the power cable should feed neatly from the back of the stand. At the moment your power cable is unable to do this. I had to swap one of mine around when I realised this.

I think you may have fitted the support upside down as the power cable should feed neatly from the back of the stand. At the moment your power cable is unable to do this. I had to swap one of mine around when I realised this.
Mine is the same though, except my power cable feeds into the stand and out the bottom.

My bad - I have the it the wrong way round for the fixing hole! I use a wider washer inset with the spacer! I will re-fit them correctly when I re-position them in another room next week!

They are back in stock at Currys and still available online, right now.. After a frantic dash to Currys to make sure. Ordered and coming tomorrow. Last check an hour ago in store, had 16 in stock online.
Sub coming as well.
Chuffed as punch. Been waiting 10 months. As Richer wouldn't let me pre-order.

They are back in stock at Currys and still available online, right now.. After a frantic dash to Currys to make sure. Ordered and coming tomorrow. Last check an hour ago in store, had 16 in stock online.
Sub coming as well.
Chuffed as punch. Been waiting 10 months. As Richer wouldn't let me pre-order.
strange that with so many pre orders outstanding that currys got these but hey ho i will wait for RS to fullfil my pre order but i understand why people are jumping ship to currys

strange that with so many pre orders outstanding that currys got these but hey ho i will wait for RS to fullfil my pre order but i understand why people are jumping ship to currys
They told me 10 months ago I couldn't pre-order as they had over 40 reserved. So I have been patiently waiting. Low and behold, checked this morning. Currys were showing stock. 6% discount at Perk Box. Now to try and get a price match on the sub, as no £150 off at currys when you buy both.

Anyone found a sweet spot with the settings yet ? Still playing around with them 😅

Watched Blade Runner 2049 yesterday. Damn thats such an atmospheric movie - great atmos soundtrack as well. The sub did its work on the low end so think I'm going to keep keep the SW5. Will just turn the bass down for music.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom