NEWS: Sony introduces HT-A9 home theatre system

I bought the HT-A9 one month ago.

Great system but I have one complaint : the fan noise.

Starts to spin after 1H25 of used and lasts 10 minutes then stops then starts again one hour later for ten minutes.

The noise is quite noticeable in the evening when the volume is low.

Does anybody who own this system could check if they have the same noise coming from the fan after about 1 hour and 25 minutes.

I have recorded the fan noise with my iPhone close to the control box here

To give you a comparaison the fan noise is quite the same than the noise coming from the PS5 which have the worst fan.

And one last thing my SA-SW5 subwoofer makes a strange noise at some moments : like first moment of the HBO logo and at the beginning of Blade Runner 2049 at 1 minute and 45 secondes before the first image on the eye. Sounds like a saturation as if bass were too powerful.

Does anybody with a SA-SW5 could make the same test ?

Thanks.
I heard bottom of the unit heat up - did you try to flip it upside down? ; )

I heard bottom of the unit heat up - did you try to flip it upside down? ; )
Yes the bottom is very hot which is not great

For the price of the system I don’t want to have to flip it upside down.

I just wonder if I am the only one having the fan noise. If yes I will send it to repair because it would mean that my fan has a problem and makes noise where as the others don’t

Last edited:
Buy three oak cone feet off ebay and put those underneath the unit, it'll help with cooling and ventilation imo

I bought the HT-A9 one month ago.

Great system but I have one complaint : the fan noise.

Starts to spin after 1H25 of used and lasts 10 minutes then stops then starts again one hour later for ten minutes.

The noise is quite noticeable in the evening when the volume is low.

Does anybody who own this system could check if they have the same noise coming from the fan after about 1 hour and 25 minutes.

I have recorded the fan noise with my iPhone close to the control box here

To give you a comparaison the fan noise is quite the same than the noise coming from the PS5 which have the worst fan.

And one last thing my SA-SW5 subwoofer makes a strange noise at some moments : like first moment of the HBO logo and at the beginning of Blade Runner 2049 at 1 minute and 45 secondes before the first image on the eye. Sounds like a saturation as if bass were too powerful.

Does anybody with a SA-SW5 could make the same test ?

Thanks.
Does the speakers or blaxk box have fans?

Is the noise audible from your sitting position?

Loud noises would annoy me as my Series X is silent as a mouse even when during and after playing a demanding game.

Does the speakers or blaxk box have fans?

Is the noise audible from your sitting position?

Loud noises would annoy me as my Series X is silent as a mouse even when during and after playing a demanding game.

The control box (black box has a fan) but not the speakers.

I can clearly hear the fan from my sitting position (3 meters) in the evening if I set the volume to low.

I do not hear my Xbox Series X which is at the same distance. I hear my PS5 quite the same than the HT-A9 control box (and I have replaced the PS5 fan has I had the loudest one).

Don’t know if every fan on the HT-A9 are the same and that the owners do not notice the noise or if I have a faulty one.

I hesitate to send back my HT-A9 and speakers to the store in order to check and eventually replace the fan.

The control box (black box has a fan) but not the speakers.

I can clearly hear the fan from my sitting position (3 meters) in the evening if I set the volume to low.

I do not hear my Xbox Series X which is at the same distance. I hear my PS5 quite the same than the HT-A9 control box (and I have replaced the PS5 fan has I had the loudest one).

Don’t know if every fan on the HT-A9 are the same and that the owners do not notice the noise or if I have a faulty one.

I hesitate to send back my HT-A9 and speakers to the store in order to check and eventually replace the fan.
Does the fan continue to run after you have switched off the TV and the HT-A9 goes into standby.

Does the fan continue to run after you have switched off the TV and the HT-A9 goes into standby.
I have never tried. Have to try.

All I know is that the control box is very hot at the bottom and that the fan starts always after around 1.5 hours of use. The fan works for 10 minutes then stops. One hour later the fan works again for 10 minutes then so on.

Short version "Holy **** it's good"

Setup only took about 20 minutes and 10 of those were putting the new rear stands together.

All speakers connected fine including the sub. No drop outs so far after about 2.5 hours The auto calibration ran first time fine. The lovely demo after calibration sounded epic.

I went through and changed some settings. Turned on auto volume and put voice on. Turned the rears down to 5 as they are right behind the sofa. Currently have the sub at 5 and have to say the SW5 does a great job and I've had an M&K MX350THX sub with dual 12 inch drivers.

I've watched all my Atmos demos at least twice. Each time thinking "hell yes". Lots of height and depth. A real feeling of being in a sound bubble.

The phantom center works brilliantly. So far it's not felt like the speech is not coming from the screen. Watched some stereo Mythbusters and it sounded great with voices coming from the screen.

Now watching San Andreas 4k and loving it. Will try some more soon. Got Jurassic Park DTSX up next although that might keep the neighbours awake.

So far it's great and I'd say if you love movies get one if you can. I've had a full Denon 7.1 THX system, Samsung K950 and then the Sennheiser Ambeo plus sub. This totally crushes them for the total immersion and theatrical feeling. With it's simple footprint it's just what I wanted for my lounge

The biggest praise I can give it is that my wife who usual can't tell the difference between systems is impressed and noted how it's better than anything we've had before and really feels like you're at the cinema.
Did you go into the settings to fine tune the system in relation to the speaker placement and your display ? Also the again for speakers and your seating position after the intitial auto set up ?

Be interested to know if the fine tuning really adds to the soundstage .

Last edited:
Did you go into the settings to fine tune the system in relation to the speakers and your display ? Also again for speakers and your seating position after the intitial auto set up ?

Be interested to know if the fine tuning really adds to the soundstage .
I went in to the manual set up and told it my sofa is closer to the rears and that the sub is less than 1m from me as it's behind the sofa. My screen is bang in the middle of the front speakers so no need to change that.

I can't say if it changed the soundstage much as all my demo watching was after I'd done the changes.

I see on the back of the Sony A9 AVR that there are two hdmi slots . Using the Sonos via eArc is great in simplicity but only one hdmi port hurts as not DTS X support . Now added that support but one hdmi port or indeed option over eArc from my LG display is mute as will not pass DTS X.

Does this Sony system via its lil avr and two hdmi ports allow separate inputs from ones display for streaming and from ones BD player ?

Not sure how true, but the last time I spoke to someone at RS about my order, they said ordering now will mean ETA delivery of Feb-March 2022 and they're only getting 5-10 units in each batch. So definitely worth placing the order now, if in-between there is a price drop, you could speak to them to honour it.
Good to know. I might plan an order soon or find out if I can simply reserve one. In most cases, money should only leave my account when the order has been confirm and it's being prepared for dispatch.

I don't need the £500 Subwoofer and think that that the SW3 should be sufficent for my room size.

I was assured that RS would contact me regarding the ht and an LG c1 for my mate but no one bothered to call me back

A couple of very positive reviews have been released by Whisper Status 74

Unboxing and A80J Centre Channel Demo in a Regular Room

XBox Series X Gaming Performance Demo in a Small Room

Good to know. I might plan an order soon or find out if I can simply reserve one. In most cases, money should only leave my account when the order has been confirm and it's being prepared for dispatch.

I don't need the £500 Subwoofer and think that that the SW3 should be sufficent for my room size.
Unfortunately, they only put you on the list after paying. I thought the same but was assured that I can cancel at any point before delivery confirmation and receive a refund.

For those who wanted a review of the 7000 Soundbar in comparison.

Perfectly watchable at 2x speed.

Last edited:
Review without Sub.

I have a question for those that have received their order and have an xbox X /PS5 how have you wired your setup, does it cause any latency issues and is 120FPS still achievable. Do you even route the console through the HT-A9 or direct to your TV? Hope that makes sense

Review without Sub.

That's interesting, they place the Sonos Arc, The Sony HT-A7000 soundbar,Bose Smart Soundbar 900 and Samsung HW-Q950A soundbar as being better than the Sony Ht-A9. However other reviewers say the HT-A9 is a soundbar killer.

That's interesting, they place the Sonos Arc, The Sony HT-A7000 soundbar and Samsung HW-Q950A soundbar as being better than the Sony Ht-A9. However other reviewers say the HT-A9 is a soundbar killer.
Yes it wasnt a particularly good review and does fly opposite to the feedback here, on YouTube, and across the pond.

Last edited:
Yes it wasnt a particularly good review.
Who to beleive, seems a little odd that almost all reviews state that this is the better system when compared to a standalone soundbar of any make.

I have a question for those that have received their order and have an xbox X /PS5 how have you wired your setup, does it cause any latency issues and is 120FPS still achievable. Do you even route the console through the HT-A9 or direct to your TV? Hope that makes sense
I wonder the same thing. I hate connecting my XSX through my LG C1. When watching 4k Bluray discs I only get uncompressed stereo or Dolby Digital.

Both are a substantial downgrade compared with DTS MA of D TrueHD which I get when connecting my XSX directly to my HDMI soundbar.

Ideally I want my XSX to be plugged into a HDMI 2.1 sound system with 4k/120hz DV pass through.

I wonder the same thing. I hate connecting my XSX through my LG C1. When watching 4k Bluray discs I only get uncompressed stereo or Dolby Digital.

Both are a substantial downgrade compared with DTS MA of D TrueHD which I get when connecting my XSX directly to my HDMI soundbar.

Ideally I want my XSX to be plugged into a HDMI 2.1 sound system with 4k/120hz DV pass through.
Yep, exact same sentiments. It would be a deal breaker if it interfered with 120fps and VRR, that's the whole point of buying the G1 for gaming

Who to beleive, seems a little odd that almost all reviews state that this is the better system when compared to a standalone soundbar of any make.
Their reviews seem to be very much based on the readings they take. It's possible that those readings aren't taking into account the digital wizardry that Sony do that makes it sound great to the human ear. I can imagine that the sound bubble that is created by the A9s is hard to pick up on directional microphones.

Last edited:
Stop the FOMO has finally uploaded his follow-up video on the HT-A9; with the sub included this time...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom