NEWS: Sony introduces HT-A9 home theatre system

NordpolAnton

Standard Member
Audio dropouts, speakers not connecting to the hub, speakers dead on arrival…
I must admit, I’m wavering slightly.

This is what's so frustrating for consumers, for that amount of money it should "just work" no excuses
I think in general it could be said that one shouldn’t buy the first batch but wait until minor issues are gone and buy the product a few months after release. At least that’s the consensus with (high end) speakers.

badsoden

I think in general it could be said that one shouldn’t buy the first batch but wait until minor issues are gone and buy the product a few months after release. At least that’s the consensus with (high end) speakers.
Seems to be the same with most products these days that are released to the public while still in beta testing.

John Lewis really messed up something. I don’t think they have stock.

I ordered the last one about a week ago and had the same shipping issue. They tried to blame it on me being in a new flat!

Then they denied me price matching of £1599 because SevenOaks didn’t have it in stock! I doubt JL even had theirs in stock yet.

I have the SA-SW5 as my buddy gets a discount so it was about £430 for me but the HT-A9 wasn’t available yet. I cancelled the John Lewis order and will wait until it’s on the employee website

Kev12

John Lewis really messed up something. I don’t think they have stock.

I ordered the last one about a week ago and had the same shipping issue. They tried to blame it on me being in a new flat!

Then they denied me price matching of £1599 because SevenOaks didn’t have it in stock! I doubt JL even had theirs in stock yet.

I have the SA-SW5 as my buddy gets a discount so it was about £430 for me but the HT-A9 wasn’t available yet. I cancelled the John Lewis order and will wait until it’s on the employee website

Yeah, same here. I’m cancelling mine after nearly two weeks of bullsh*t from them.

Last edited:

ozzzy189

Distinguished Member
This is what's so frustrating for consumers, for that amount of money it should "just work" no excuses
This is Sony we're talking about!

pppp1

Guys I need urgent advice. I'm building a home theatre room at the moment and I have to decide this week if I'm going to go with the traditional AVR+speakers route or the new HT-A9 system. The reason for this is that we are going to place acoustic treatment on the walls and ceilings in the next few days and If we go with the traditional method we'll pass cables through to the back of the room and ceiling before placing the panels.

The TV is going to be a Sony 83A90J and the room dimensions are 3.9m by 4.7m. The ceiling is at 2.6m.

I know conventional wisdom has it that the traditional system will perform better but I like how with the Sony it will be fewer boxes, no AVR, no cables everywhere and all the usual advantages mentioned on this forum.

Plus I watched Andrew Robinson's review like everyone else here and I'm worried that I'll need to spend much more for a traditional HT system to get better results. Which I can't do. Plan is to pair the HT-A9 with the SW5 and the A90J as a centre channel.

What I don't know is how the HT-A9 will perform with the acoustic treatment in the room. Does it rely heavily on reflections? Is the material we are installing good with reflections or does it absorb all sound? I'm not really sure.
I'm mostly worried about the Atmos effect from the upfiring speakers. Material to be placed on walls and ceilings is described as perforated grooved wood/melamine. It looks something like the pictures below.

H2734748a2f8d4b67aed789faf7174f82Z.jpg
152026-10800811.jpg

If anyone has any thoughts/experience with this kind of thing please share, it would be greatly appreciated!

marcstang

I've preordered mine (A9 + SW5) from RS. I'm crossing my fingers they arrive soon and bug free.
On Sony Centre website they are currently stating 4-6 weeks for delivery. Got mine on order from Sevenoaks and they don’t currently know when they are getting new stock. I hope this doesn’t turn into another PS5.

badsoden

Guys I need urgent advice. I'm building a home theatre room at the moment and I have to decide this week if I'm going to go with the traditional AVR+speakers route or the new HT-A9 system. The reason for this is that we are going to place acoustic treatment on the walls and ceilings in the next few days and If we go with the traditional method we'll pass cables through to the back of the room and ceiling before placing the panels.

The TV is going to be a Sony 83A90J and the room dimensions are 3.9m by 4.7m. The ceiling is at 2.6m.

I know conventional wisdom has it that the traditional system will perform better but I like how with the Sony it will be fewer boxes, no AVR, no cables everywhere and all the usual advantages mentioned on this forum.

Plus I watched Andrew Robinson's review like everyone else here and I'm worried that I'll need to spend much more for a traditional HT system to get better results. Which I can't do. Plan is to pair the HT-A9 with the SW5 and the A90J as a centre channel.

What I don't know is how the HT-A9 will perform with the acoustic treatment in the room. Does it rely heavily on reflections? Is the material we are installing good with reflections or does it absorb all sound? I'm not really sure.
I'm mostly worried about the Atmos effect from the upfiring speakers. Material to be placed on walls and ceilings is described as perforated grooved wood/melamine. It looks something like the pictures below.

H2734748a2f8d4b67aed789faf7174f82Z.jpg
152026-10800811.jpg

If anyone has any thoughts/experience with this kind of thing please share, it would be greatly appreciated!
Why not put the cables in place anyway to give you the option of either? Which ever route you take you may change your mind in the future.

pppp1

Why not put the cables in place anyway to give you the option of either? Which ever route you take you may change your mind in the future.
Well, then I would probably install cables costing something like 300-400 Euros and in the end not use them. I know i can install cheaper cable but I would like to have something that would guarantee a certain level of performance.

badsoden

Well, then I would probably install cables costing something like 300-400 Euros and in the end not use them. I know i can install cheaper cable but I would like to have something that would guarantee a certain level of performance.
300 to 400 euros now or twice the price, or more, to retrofit later when you have changed your mind?

ozzzy189

Distinguished Member
Yeah sure, there's always that risk. I have some thinking and decisions to make :)
Put trunking/ducting in but no cables.
If you decide to go the Sony ht route then put a cover over the small hole.
Or fill it and paint it.
Saves wasting money on cables that could be pushed through trunking or ducting later anyway.

On Sony Centre website they are currently stating 4-6 weeks for delivery. Got mine on order from Sevenoaks and they don’t currently know when they are getting new stock. I hope this doesn’t turn into another PS5.

Same with me and JL, I don’t know if this a stock or product issue e.g bug.

raduv1

Distinguished Member
This always looked to good to be true on day one , especially as its a Sony product and the Firmware team for all and everything Sony seems to be a lone worker on holiday leave even before we had a pandemic to deal with .

Not seeing this in the hands of independent reviewers and until we get a good spread of independent reviews and hands on amateur reviews then not gonna touch this .

The one AR review is a bit of a sponsored event .

Does not mean I'm not interested as if it does all that it states then indeed it's a game changer .

I have my doubts.

Takiwaki

Standard Member
This always looked to good to be true on day one , especially as its a Sony product and the Firmware team for all and everything Sony seems to be a lone worker on holiday leave even before we had a pandemic to deal with .

Not seeing this in the hands of independent reviewers and until we get a good spread of independent reviews and hands on amateur reviews then not gonna touch this .

The one AR review is a bit of a sponsored event .

Does not mean I'm not interested as if it does all that it states then indeed it's a game changer .

I have my doubts.
I got mine over the weekend. The hype on this is real. I had my doubts also. was lucky to score one from best buy in case it sucked I can easily return. This thing is amazing. I am not having any issues with drop out or any cut outs. bass is boomy and smooth.

Masterstroke

I got mine over the weekend. The hype on this is real. I had my doubts also. was lucky to score one from best buy in case it sucked I can easily return. This thing is amazing. I am not having any issues with drop out or any cut outs. bass is boomy and smooth.
"Base is boomy..." Is that good?

XeNoNF50

Really interested in one of these once I've completed on the new house. Luckily it means I can see reviews come in before I commit.

badsoden

Which sub did you go for?

ozzzy189

Distinguished Member
Sw3 is boomy and weak according to some, sw5 is the opposite.
I'm thinking of buying one of these but it's a chunk of cash I don't really want to spend atm!
I'm not happy with my current setup because of the sub. It doesn't just do bass but I can't put it in the middle of the room and it's awful and doesn't fit in with the room. The Sony looks like a better fit and I'm seriously thinking about it but I'm afraid of Sony and their awful reputation on updates and flaky software and unfinished features.

badsoden

Sw3 is boomy and weak according to some, sw5 is the opposite.
I'm thinking of buying one of these but it's a chunk of cash I don't really want to spend atm!
I'm not happy with my current setup because of the sub. It doesn't just do bass but I can't put it in the middle of the room and it's awful and doesn't fit in with the room. The Sony looks like a better fit and I'm seriously thinking about it but I'm afraid of Sony and their awful reputation on updates and flaky software and unfinished features.
Yes that's what I've read/heard about the subs but I think was only one source and nothing was mentioned about room size and the effects that would have. I very nearly purchased one the other day but I have other priorities at the moment so stopped. I will get one at some point though as it's a perfect solution to my problems with surround sound systems. As long as it works well that is!

marcstang

Just head back from Sevenoaks. Apparently Sony are being very vague with stock dates. They are expecting to fulfill my order by December but may get some stock at the end of this month. This has got PS5 written all over it. Looks like I’ll have to make due with my Sonos Arc setup for a bit longer.

ozzzy189

Distinguished Member
Just head back from Sevenoaks. Apparently Sony are being very vague with stock dates. They are expecting to fulfill my order by December but may get some stock at the end of this month. This has got PS5 written all over it. Looks like I’ll have to make due with my Sonos Arc setup for a bit longer.
The sub off runs out after Dec too. I kind of wished I'd bought it when RS had stock now. I really wanted to wait for some more reviews though.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Blu-ray Special - The Cinema of Zhang Yimou & Gong Li
  • By Mark Costello
  • Published
Black Friday 2021: What you need to know
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 24th November 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Panasonic 2021 TV update brings full 4K resolution with VRR and HFR