NEWS: Sony introduces HT-A9 home theatre system

Chaybee1

In addition to the subs' pricing being ridiculous, bizarre move to only have them in black when the speakers are a light grey or white. (hard to tell exactly from the promo vid)

San5324

In addition to the subs' pricing being ridiculous, bizarre move to only have them in black when the speakers are a light grey or white. (hard to tell exactly from the promo vid)

Stop your complaining, you would not have bought it any way..

Chaybee1

Unacceptably vulgar post
Stop your complaining, you would not have bought it any way..
Quite the contrary. As I mentioned in a prior post, I'm super excited about this technology, eager to see how it actually sounds and really hoping it's a step forward in this market. My "complaining" is simply an observation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Buckster666

Quite the contrary. As I mentioned in a prior post, I'm super excited about this technology, eager to see how it actually sounds and really hoping it's a step forward in this market. My "complaining" is simply an observation. So, go F yourself.
I agree this looks to be some great tech, and agree they should have a black option to match the subs. The deal breaker for me is no centre channel and only 1 HDMI input on the control box.

Buckster666

Unboxing

Cocamide

Novice Member
I understand this, however, I find it interesting that in SONY's official video, in which there is more than enough room to have them at the same level, they chose this layout. Watch the vid. It's odd.
I suspect Sony are making a point by purposely off-setting the positioning in the room. Probably to prove it really doesn't matter where you put them... they'll calibrate perfectly wherever they're placed. If so, this could be a game changer for wireless speaker placement and immersive audio. Can't wait for the reviews. They are a compelling product on paper...

pppp1

I like the look of this but my ceiling has sound absorbing material. Will the Atmos effect be completely ruined?

Chaybee1

I suspect Sony are making a point by purposely off-setting the positioning in the room. Probably to prove it really doesn't matter where you put them... they'll calibrate perfectly wherever they're placed. If so, this could be a game changer for wireless speaker placement and immersive audio. Can't wait for the reviews. They are a compelling product on paper...
Completely agree!

Beagle64

JeffD

Looking at the small control box it looks like the speaker cable connection to the TV for a centre channel is a 3.5mm stereo jack which would connect to the tv using bare wire and spring clips, nothing proprietary. If it is I wonder if an easy to drive centre channel speaker could be used?
That does appear to be the case as the manual says any commercially available stereo mini cable can be used. Taken from Operating Instructions at https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/sound-bars-home-theater-systems-sound-bars/ht-a9/manuals

S-Center.JPG

keithwiggins

Looking at the small control box it looks like the speaker cable connection to the TV for a centre channel is a 3.5mm stereo jack which would connect to the tv using bare wire and spring clips, nothing proprietary. If it is I wonder if an easy to drive centre channel speaker could be used?
I suppose as a workaround to sonys propriety drive you could always re purpose an old avr, drive a quality center and run any sub you could choose just needs avr to have earc.

SOUNDVISION

I agree this looks to be some great tech, and agree they should have a black option to match the subs. The deal breaker for me is no centre channel and only 1 HDMI input on the control box.
I use a stereo amp, for tv shows & movies on Netflix, so no centre channel and dialogue is never out of sync, sounds loud & clear.
My problem is with a stereo amp you lose LFE channel, so this Sony HT-A9 system might fit my needs
You can plug other equipment into the HDMI ports on your tv, use HDMI eARC from Sony Box to HDMI eARC on TV

jpack

Standard Member
I’ve owned the Samsung Q90r surround sound system but have now purchased a Sony XR 55A84j TV
l and have now also decided too purchase the A9 Home theatre system with sub. I’ll report back once installed and set up next week when I’m back from holiday.

Buckster666

jpack

Standard Member
Looking forward to that👏
Yes me too Masterstroke as I’ll be using the TV speaker for the centre channel on the A84j

it’ll be interesting too see how well this integrates with the A9 speakers and if it has enough dynamics and scale to keep up with the A9 satellite speakers.
I’ll assume for now that the Tv will handle mostly the midrange around speech so lip syncing should be ok.
The rest I’ll report back on.

Masterstroke

Yes me too Masterstroke as I’ll be using the TV speaker for the centre channel on the A84j

it’ll be interesting too see how well this integrates with the A9 speakers and if it has enough dynamics and scale to keep up with the A9 satellite speakers.
I’ll assume for now that the Tv will handle mostly the midrange around speech so lip syncing should be ok.
The rest I’ll report back on.
Coincidentally I also have the Q90R which is superb, but this looks even better (although I don't have a Sony TV) so we'll see how you get on with it.

ggwoodland

My brother who lives in Singapore got one of these last week and seems quite impressed with it. Although the installer was adamant that his Sony A80J couldn’t be used as a centre speaker. I told him nonsense and he has wired up it now - george

badsoden

Seems to be getting some good feedback from the other forum. I see its in stock at JL. Has anyone purchased yet?

Nordcore

Standard Member
I've just ordered the Sony HT-A9 + SA-SW3 subwoofer..
It is in stock and will probably arrive tomorrow.
I live in The Netherlands.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Melco introduces N50-S38 music library
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony expands 360 Reality Audio to Amazon Music Unlimited
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Google launches Pixel 6 and 6 Pro smartphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony announces two new 3LCD laser projectors