NEWS: Sony introduces HT-A9 home theatre system

Eyesnears

Forgive me if I missed something, but why not set the Xbox to 7.1 LPCM out? Then you'd get uncompressed surround sound for gaming and Blu-Ray. Or does the Sony HT-A9 not support 7.1 LPCM input?
The LG C1 doesn't pass through uncompressed audio not DTS:X or DTS:MA. If you have the same TV, it's best to plug streaming devices or gaming consoles directly into the soundbar/sound system.

ozthegweat

The LG C1 doesn't pass through uncompressed audio not DTS:X or DTS:MA. If you have the same TV, it's best to plug streaming devices or gaming consoles directly into the soundbar/sound system.
I have a GX and it does pass through 7.1 LPCM. It's the first time I hear about the newer generation of LG OLEDs not being able to pass through LPCM? Do you have a source for this?

Eyesnears

I have a GX and it does pass through 7.1 LPCM. It's the first time I hear about the newer generation of LG OLEDs not being able to pass through LPCM? Do you have a source for this?
eARC troubles for soundbars/receivers with the CX/C1 are well discussed on forums and reddit.

Plugging devices directly into a sound system like the HT-A9 is plug and play and by-pass audio eARC issues and frustrating tinkering with TV and device settings. When eARC issues are at their worst, audio defaults to Dolby Digital or uncompressed stereo which sounds lifeless compared with Atmos or uncompressed 7.1.

ozthegweat

These issues exist, but a lot of them have been resolved I believe, and you can have various issues with other systems and standards as well (I know I had my own fair share of them with 4K receivers etc.).

At the end of the day you are either lucky or not. A good return policy helps, and also buying the components in the order you want them most or from the one with the least to the most alternatives.

I needed to make a lot of compromises during the last year after I and my other half moved in together. I now have an LG GX, with an Apple TV 4K, Xbox Series X and PS5 connected to it, and a Sonos Arc connected via eARC. I got lucky, everything works with zero problems, and all audio is in 7.1 LPCM or Atmos from source to soundbar.

Eyesnears

These issues exist, but a lot of them have been resolved I believe, and you can have various issues with other systems and standards as well (I know I had my own fair share of them with 4K receivers etc.).

At the end of the day you are either lucky or not. A good return policy helps, and also buying the components in the order you want them most or from the one with the least to the most alternatives.

I needed to make a lot of compromises during the last year after I and my other half moved in together. I now have an LG GX, with an Apple TV 4K, Xbox Series X and PS5 connected to it, and a Sonos Arc connected via eARC. I got lucky, everything works with zero problems, and all audio is in 7.1 LPCM or Atmos from source to soundbar.

CX/C1 eARC issues have not been fully resolved and firmware updates risk introducing eARC bugs after the returning window has expired.

Sure, life is great if audio-pass through eARC works perfectly with your TV and soundbar combo. However, the reason buy a HT-A9 is because it has an HDMI input for bypassing the TV as an audio hub.

This is a useful feature to avoid frustration if eARC fails to make Atmos or uncompressed audio work perfectly for your £2,000-5,000 tech stack.

Takiwaki

Standard Member
I have no Earc issues using the A9 and LG CX. There is however no DTS support via earc which isn't an earc issue per say.

marcstang

Still waiting for Sevenoaks to get stock in. At this rate I might as well wait for Sony to launch an updated version next year.

marcstang

Sevenoaks Order getting delivered tomorrow. Can an LG TV hdmi link so the system powers on when the TV is switched on ? The online manual only mentions Sony TVs surprisingly ,😉

Jenz

Well looks like Richersounds have had some stock - Order out to be delivered tomorrow
I spoke to my contact in Richer Sounds today about something else and mentioned the A9. He said they are "dripping in". Last week they were at 41 preorders, and today at 33.

The SW5 Subwoofer is also on back order with 15 preorders.

marcstang

Has anyone positioned the controller box in a media cabinet ? Just wondering if it performs ok. I have no room on top of the cabinet and already have enough of a hard sell with the speakers nevermind a black box out in the open as well.

Faffer

Well all set up today.

Used some stands for the rears and the front are on things to the side of the tv

Nice to have a sound system back as I have moved and the main set up is still packed away for another room project

Sound filled the room and enjoyed the film

Used avengers end game as a test for a good film and sound

screemer

Well all set up today.

Used some stands for the rears and the front are on things to the side of the tv

Nice to have a sound system back as I have moved and the main set up is still packed away for another room project

Sound filled the room and enjoyed the film

Used avengers end game as a test for a good film and sound
Hi, how does the a9 sound compared to a full separates system? I have a Denon avr with monitor audio radius speakers but thinking of switching to A9 when I move house

Ignominious

Hi, how does the a9 sound compared to a full separates system? I have a Denon avr with monitor audio radius speakers but thinking of switching to A9 when I move house
This is the key question for me so I’m looking forward to hearing the responses.

UMAR 3:16

Faffer

So ... Only 2 films down

My other setup that's been boxed away due to moving and selling a house and had to make it more a show home than a cinema, This has been boxed up over a year,

My set up
Monitor Auto Apex A40 Left Center Right
Monitor Auto Apex A10 Rear surround
BK monolith Sub
EarthQuake 10b in the sofa + BK sub Amp
With a Onkyo 809

Would I have the A9 or above - No question the Above
But this was in a larger room set up for the job

Would I have this in the space this is in YES (small sitting area)

For me, this is in the extra room with the kitchen, So while it's not like the above it fits my needs to give good sound in the space.

I did also have some time to play some music and that was very nice.

If and when I get my old set up back out and in the room/project it's planned to be in. I could try them both but don't hold out for that as it's not going to be any time soon

So in short

I am happy tho it's more to fit the needs of a neat system .. If I was deciding this or my old set up for my cinema room then the old set up would be installed, Needs a bigger room and take up more space and I an due to upgrade to Atmos.

Need to also watch more films

Has anyone got any hints to test it with next ???

Jenz

So ... Only 2 films down

My other setup that's been boxed away due to moving and selling a house and had to make it more a show home than a cinema, This has been boxed up over a year,

My set up
Monitor Auto Apex A40 Left Center Right
Monitor Auto Apex A10 Rear surround
BK monolith Sub
EarthQuake 10b in the sofa + BK sub Amp
With a Onkyo 809

Would I have the A9 or above - No question the Above
But this was in a larger room set up for the job

Would I have this in the space this is in YES (small sitting area)

For me, this is in the extra room with the kitchen, So while it's not like the above it fits my needs to give good sound in the space.

I did also have some time to play some music and that was very nice.

If and when I get my old set up back out and in the room/project it's planned to be in. I could try them both but don't hold out for that as it's not going to be any time soon

So in short

I am happy tho it's more to fit the needs of a neat system .. If I was deciding this or my old set up for my cinema room then the old set up would be installed, Needs a bigger room and take up more space and I an due to upgrade to Atmos.

Need to also watch more films

Has anyone got any hints to test it with next ???
John Wick 1 Night Club scene and final fight in the rain. Latter should sound like you are in a rain storm from above etc.

SonyHTA9

Novice Member
Will give that a go .. I make sure to check out the bit and see how it sounds

Pls do yourself a favor and do this

Change sound mode to: Dolby virtualizer
Sound height: high
Base level: 4-5
Rears 10, depends how far away you sit
Sound: I find 44 is the perfect for me.

Then you have to watch “Dune”. Fantastic movie. Never heard such a good sounding movie and with these speakers I was baffled. It’s on HBO max. Crazy. Even just the first 30 sec of the movie sounds insane.

marcstang

Got my system set up today and I must say that the sound quality is great. I greatly prefer it to my previous Sonos arc setup which has no been redistributed around the house. Tested it with Avengers Endgame and the sound bubble it creates during the final battle is excellent.

Had a bit of a glitch during the firmware update. It told me that the RR speaker was not connected during the update but when I checked the system status post update all the speakers had been updated.

My controller box sits in a cabinet with glass doors and it seems work with no issues.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Sky and NOW UK for February 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Piega launches Ace Wireless speakers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
M&K Sound launches V+ Series subwoofers
  • By Andy Bassett