NEWS: Sony introduces HT-A9 home theatre system

Arghh. I just discovered that I might not be able to buy the A9.

I have an ATV4K and Xbox Series X but understand that my LG C1 doesn't correctly pass-through Atmos from streaming devices. Therefore, in order to experience Atmos consistently, I need a sound system with two HDMI inputs. The A9 only has one!

That has made me look towards the HT-A7000 soundbar + subwoofer and rear speakers. Unlike the HT-A9 it's available for delivery. However, today, a spanner has been thrown in the works by Samsung. They have recently discounted the Q950a(with sub and rears) from £1,599 to £999. :eek: It has 2 4k/60hz DV + VRR HDMI inputs. Lack of 120hz support doesn't bother me as 90% of XSX games will run at max 60fps. Those with a 120fps mode will be FPS games that I no longer play.

I was previously not considering the Samsung and can afford an A9, A7000 or Arc bundle. However the Samsung as a complete set with similar sound quality is 50-60% cheaper. Although I can afford either setup the difference isn't pocket change.

The biggest attraction of the HT-A9 is as my first multi speaker system that can create an immersive bubble out sound. However availability is an issue and there's a question mark over sound drop-outs for such an expensive system.

Decisions, decision, decisions.

In what way won’t the LG pass Atmos from external devices?

In what way won’t the LG pass Atmos from external devices?

Unfortunately eARC passthrough for TV's isn't working as flawlessly as advertised. Issues are not limited to the LG C1. It can only passthrough Atmos(Dolby Digital Plus) but not Atmost(Dolby TruHD). Furthermore it doesn't pass through lossless audio and in some instances Dolby Digital Plus is downmixed to 2.0 stereo.

Basically, you should not rely on your TV as the audio hub. If possible, plug your devices e.g gaming console and streaming devices directly into your soundbar/sound system.

My current soundbar is a Yamaha YSP-2500 which is one of the best pieces of tech that I have bought. It has HDMI Arc for the TV + 3 HDMI inputs!

Unfortunately Yamaha hasn't made a successor with Atmos decoding and 4k/60hz DV pass through :(

My current soundbar is a Yamaha YSP-2500 which is one of the best pieces of tech that I have bought. It has HDMI Arc for the TV + 3 HDMI inputs!

Unfortunately Yamaha hasn't made a successor with Atmos decoding and 4k/60hz DV pass through :(
The YSP-2500 unfortunately does not passthrough 4k HDR 😞

Arghh. I just discovered that I might not be able to buy the A9.

I have an ATV4K and Xbox Series X but understand that my LG C1 doesn't correctly pass-through Atmos from streaming devices. Therefore, in order to experience Atmos consistently, I need a sound system with two HDMI inputs. The A9 only has one!

That has made me look towards the HT-A7000 soundbar + subwoofer and rear speakers. Unlike the HT-A9 it's available for delivery. However, today, a spanner has been thrown in the works by Samsung. They have recently discounted the Q950a(with sub and rears) from £1,599 to £999. :eek: It has 2 4k/60hz DV + VRR HDMI inputs. Lack of 120hz support doesn't bother me as 90% of XSX games will run at max 60fps. Those with a 120fps mode will be FPS games that I no longer play.

I was previously not considering the Samsung and can afford an A9, A7000 or Arc bundle. However the Samsung as a complete set with similar sound quality is 50-60% cheaper. Although I can afford either setup the difference isn't pocket change.

The biggest attraction of the HT-A9 is as my first multi speaker system that can create an immersive bubble out sound. However availability is an issue and there's a question mark over sound drop-outs for such an expensive system.

Decisions, decision, decisions.
I got the LG G1 and every device connected to the TV passed Atmos perfectly fine to soundbar (currently Sony HT-ST5000). Similar to HT-A9 the only reason to plug directly into the sound device is to get DTS audio. So for a 4k blu ray player or something.

I got the LG G1 and every device connected to the TV passed Atmos perfectly fine to soundbar (currently Sony HT-ST5000). Similar to HT-A9 the only reason to plug directly into the sound device is to get DTS audio. So for a 4k blu ray player or something.
Great! Atmos pass through on the LG OLED seems to work fine for some but poorly for others depending on the source device and sound system.

The YSP-2500 unfortunately does not passthrough 4k HDR 😞
Correct. Hence why I'm in the market for a new soundbar/sound system. My current issue is the following.

Plug Xbox SX and ATV4K into the TV
-HDR, 60/120hz, VVR and Dolby Vision
-Defaults to 2.0 PCM or DolbyDigital for gaming or bluray. Sound is semi-dull and lifeless.

Plug Xbox SX and ATV4K into the Soundbar
-None of the following: HDR 60/120hz, VVR and Dolby Vision
-Lossless audio for gaming and DTS-MA for 4K bluray with exceptional clarity, cinematic expression and punchy bass. The difference is truly night and day when flicking between lossless and compressed audio.

I don't want to end up in a similar situation with the TV not supporting high fidelity codecs or the soundbar/system not passing through 4k/60hz Dolby Vision.

The high price point for this system remains a huge barrier because of sound drop issues along with well established Sony Corp being one of the worst for firmware fix roll outs on all and everything AV including flagship PS .

Its bold with the phantom center channel , nah not really as why would Sony promote their display for that task , well unless one has a Sony display for that channel ?

Why not just give out a physical A9 centre to complete the set as cheaper than purchasing a overpriced Sony Display to fill in as center channel .

Last edited:
Its bold with the phantom center channel , nah not really as why would Sony promote their display for that task , well unless one has a Sony display for that channel ?

Why not just give out a physical A9 centre to complete the set as cheaper than purchasing a overpriced Sony Display to fill in as center channel .

Having had my A9 for a few weeks I am inclined to agree that a S Center capable speaker with the same tonal qualities would be an excellent addition to the system.

The high price point for this system remains a huge barrier because of sound drop issues along with well established Sony Corp being one of the worst for firmware fix roll outs on all and everything AV including flagship PS .
If something doesn't break, you are not innovating fast enough. :D

The HT-A9 is a first gen product. Super clever and I expect mk2 to adress flaws and missing features. I would be surprised to see a similar system by Sonos.

Other than that, the price will inevitably drop and be in line with premium top shelf soundbars. However they will unlikely happen this side of 2022.

If something doesn't break, you are not innovating fast enough. :D

The HT-A9 is a first gen product. Super clever and I expect mk2 to adress flaws and missing features. I would be surprised to see a similar system by Sonos.

Other than that, the price will inevitably drop and be in line with premium top shelf soundbars. However they will unlikely happen this side of 2022.
Innovation has many aspects , the first being its reliable, robust and holds up to consumer demands without fail .

Second is once it has an issue then Sony resolves it ASAP considering the price point of the product .

One does not give a free pass as a consumer of high end AV that is not working as advertised for many out there .

Second is once it has an issue then Sony resolves it ASAP considering the price point of the product .
We don't know whether the drop-outs are firmware related OR whether there are issues with the radio transmitter in the control box or the radio receiver in speakers.

Until Sony has issued a respone, I would only buy the HT-A9 from a retailer with a highly relaxed 12 month returns policy.

We don't know whether the drop-outs are firmware related OR whether there are issues with the radio transmitter in the control box or the radio receiver in speakers.

Until Sony has issued a respone, I would only buy the HT-A9 from a retailer with a highly relaxed 12 month returns policy.
Which i think most are. I know RS are usually super flexible and understand when something isn't working as it should. Or at least my local Romford store behave in this way.

Which i think most are. I know RS are usually super flexible and understand when something isn't working as it should. Or at least my local Romford store behave in this way.
Correct RS and John Lewis have very good return policies. Other retailers could blame sound drop-outs on your WiFi router. 🙄

people still complain about sound drops with the HT-A9, few hours ago someone on YouTube upload a video regards this issue. How about sound drops using the Sony A80J HDMI eARC to the HT-A9 please if someone have these two guys please make a comment,

Just an update on the delivery situation from RS. Just called to find out that I am 3rd nationally (ordered 30th September) There are a total of around 50 orders for these and 20 units will be arriving early next week to fulfill pre-orders.

Was told that after these 20 units go out, they don't know when the next batch will be arriving and customers maybe be offered cancellations. On the Sub situation, it sounded like these were even shorter supply.

people still complain about sound drops with the HT-A9, few hours ago someone on YouTube upload a video regards this issue. How about sound drops using the Sony A80J HDMI eARC to the HT-A9 please if someone have these two guys please make a comment,
No one can say for sure whether or not you will experience drop-outs. Some people do while other's don't.

The course of action is to buy the A9 from a retailer that has a very lenient returns policy, keep the box and return it if you experience drop-outs.

No one can say for sure whether or not you will experience drop-outs. Some people do while other's don't.

The course of action is to buy the A9 from a retailer that has a very lenient returns policy, keep the box and return it if you experience drop-outs.
The only bad thing about some retailers is that if you need to return for exanche isn't a extra cost but if is for refound they tale tha 10 or 15% for restocking fee, only local stores or Sony directly doesn't

Just an update on the delivery situation from RS. Just called to find out that I am 3rd nationally (ordered 30th September) There are a total of around 50 orders for these and 20 units will be arriving early next week to fulfill pre-orders.

Was told that after these 20 units go out, they don't know when the next batch will be arriving and customers maybe be offered cancellations. On the Sub situation, it sounded like these were even shorter supply.
I have everything crossed for you. I'm still totally blown away by mine.

I just got email from RS that my order arrived and it will be delivered on Monday (A9 + SW5) ordered on 06/10 ! ;)

I just got email from RS that my order arrived and it will be delivered on Monday (A9 + SW5) ordered on 06/10 ! ;)

That is promising I ordered mine from Sony Centre on 17/`10 so hopefully I don't have much longer to wait. Anyone on here had their deliveries from Sony Centres that can give an idea of lead time?

So with a G1 I would have to connect the HDMI sound out from my blu ray player to the HT-A9 and the video out from the blu ray player to the G1? I understand the G1 doesn't support DTS, but it can't pass it through eARC?

So with a G1 I would have to connect the HDMI sound out from my blu ray player to the HT-A9 and the video out from the blu ray player to the G1? I understand the G1 doesn't support DTS, but it can't pass it through eARC?
Nope won't pass through.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom