NEWS: Sony introduces HT-A9 home theatre system

Beagle64

This is the sort of system I always thought Sonos would come out with. Hopefully AV forums will be able to review it.

SOUNDVISION

Wonder what the small box Decodes, does it do ?

DTS HD MA
PCM 5.1
Dolby Digital Plus
Dolby True HD

Pricey System £1800 for 4 smallish plugin outlet speakers & a small control box, then another £800 for the Subwoofer

Can't imagine it being that good for movies & music compared to getting an av receiver paired with floorstanding speakers, 2 surround speakers & a subwoofer

Last edited:

Buckster666

DTS HD MA
PCM 5.1
Dolby Digital Plus
Dolby True HD

Pricey System £1800 for 4 smallish plugin outlet speakers & a small control box, then another £800 for the Subwoofer

Can't imagine it being that good for movies & music compared to getting an av receiver paired with floorstanding speakers, 2 surround speakers & a subwoofer
Hopefully with DTS X and Atmos support it will be compatible with other sound formats

Beagle64

DTS HD MA
PCM 5.1
Dolby Digital Plus
Dolby True HD

No doubt it won’t compare well to a separate av amp with passive speakers, these simpler systems always seem to cost more! What will be interesting is if for the less dedicated listener the Sony is easier to set up meaning the gap isn’t as wide to a full system tweaked to perfection.

Scotland11

Really intrigued by this, so effectively if you have one of the Bravia TV's with acoustic surface this would become a 5.0.4 system with an optional subwoofer. Currently showing £1599 on the Sony website for the 4 speakers. If good, this would actually put the Sony back under consideration for my next TV. Hopefully we get a review from AV Forums with someone using a Bravia TV as the centre speaker.

Would love to see Sonos offer a version of the One or similar with upward firing drivers and support DTS-X (unlikely I know but with Samsung, LG and Sony offering soundbars with full codec support would be nice to see).

Scotland11

DTS HD MA
PCM 5.1
Dolby Digital Plus
Dolby True HD

From Sony website:

Codec support via HDMI In and e-ARC:
Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital plus, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Atmos, Dolby Dual mono, DTS, DTS HD High Resolution Audio, DTS HD Master Audio, DTS ES, DTS 96/24, DTS:X, LPCM

System cost is £1599 RRP. 300W sub is priced at £699 or you can get the 200W sub for £449. It is pricey but will wait to see the reviews and how quickly that price drops.

SOUNDVISION

From Sony website:

Codec support via HDMI In and e-ARC:
Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital plus, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Atmos, Dolby Dual mono, DTS, DTS HD High Resolution Audio, DTS HD Master Audio, DTS ES, DTS 96/24, DTS:X, LPCM

System cost is £1599 RRP. 300W sub is priced at £699 or you can get the 200W sub for £449. It is pricey but will wait to see the reviews and how quickly that price drops.
Full set of Digital Decodes then
Yeah be interesting to see peoples takes on this Sony HT -A9 System, no dout Youtube will have lots of reviews

Buckster666

The lack of dedicated centre speaker is a dealbreaker

Scotland11

If you have the Sony TV as the dedicated centre I think it could work better than having the sound come from a speaker above or below the TV. As just a 4.0.4 arrangement I would tend to agree it probably kills it for me. Very much feels like a sound system for owners of the top of the range Sony TVs.

Buckster666

If you have the Sony TV as the dedicated centre I think it could work better than having the sound come from a speaker above or below the TV. As just a 4.0.4 arrangement I would tend to agree it probably kills it for me. Very much feels like a sound system for owners of the top of the range Sony TVs.
I do like the feature of being able to use the TV speakers as the centre channel, and I believe Samsung have a similar feature on their soundbars when paired with a Samsung TV, but I own a Panasonic TV. It would be good if the industry adapted a universal socket like Sony's s-centre out so any TV could be a centre speaker.

moraghan

I think it's a safe bet that Sonos will be making a new model of the 1's that have upfiring speakers as we speak....but very likely without DTS X unfortunately.

AGB75

Novice Member
I never understood why Apple didn’t do something like this with its homepods - would’ve been great to link up 4 for surround sound and atmos.

ozzzy189

Distinguished Member
Not really, I think it’ll sound great without one.
I know a few folk who run without a centre, nice spread across the front without trying to fit a chunky centre speaker under the tv.
I’m really interested in this set up, especially if it sounds good without a sub.
My current sound bar isn’t that great because the sub actually has a lot of information coming out of it, not just lfe and it’s in a corner hidden by furniture and is a pita to site in my lounge. So I’d definitely buy this and relegate my Yama into the game room.

Beagle64

I think it's a safe bet that Sonos will be making a new model of the 1's that have upfiring speakers as we speak....but very likely without DTS X unfortunately.
DTS…….only if it’s royalty free!🤣 I agree Sonos must be planning something along these lines with something like their amp but with Atmos 1’s for the front. I’d be at the front of the queue if they do!

SOUNDVISION

I agree with you, would of been better if they had included a dedicated centre speaker for this Sony HT A9 System.
After all that is why we purchase speaker systems because our tv speakers are not good enough but this system seem to want people to rely on their sony tv speakers for a centre channel, which is daft

Chaybee1

I'm actually quite intrigued by this technology. Can't wait for reviews. On the Sony Official Announcement Video on YouTube, I found it interesting that they had the two front speakers offset from each other - watch the vid, the left is mounted on the wall and the right is on a stand well below the placement of the left. Not sure why.

SOUNDVISION

I'm actually quite intrigued by this technology. Can't wait for reviews. On the Sony Official Announcement Video on YouTube, I found it interesting that they had the two front speakers offset from each other - watch the vid, the left is mounted on the wall and the right is on a stand well below the placement of the left. Not sure why.
Sony HT A9 Speaker System does not need to have the speakers at same height if cant be done apparently but think most people would put them at same level

Chaybee1

Sony HT A9 Speaker System does not need to have the speakers at same height if cant be done apparently but think most people would put them at same level
I understand this, however, I find it interesting that in SONY's official video, in which there is more than enough room to have them at the same level, they chose this layout. Watch the vid. It's odd.

CaroleBaskin

Some of Sony’s new TV’s allow the TV itself to output as a center channel. I wonder if this system can work with the TV to allow that to happen. Sony TV matching Sony audio, maybe.

EDIT: Looks like it can, here

04E32E4B-1601-492C-B225-E359CA0F7F1B.jpeg

The latest video from AVForums

LG C1 OLED TV Best Picture Settings for SDR, HDR and Dolby Vision
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sky drops Sky One brand and introduces Showcase and Max
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cleer Audio announces Roam NC, affordable TWS earbuds
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published