Quantcast

NEWS: Sony introduce calibrated Netflix mode on new AF9 and ZF9 TVs

fluxo

Distinguished Member
There are already colour mastering/repro standards. Why would a Netflix specific solution be necessary?

jont

Oh great - another standard developed to avoid paying Dolby licensing and to confuse punters !

scrowe

sounds like a load of marketing nonsense only to me. I did wonder if they were dumping DV on this set in favour of a proprietary dynamic HDR tone-napping solution, but DV is still listed. So if DV is supposed to be controlling the display to the exact vision behind the content, what does this new setting do exactly? Unless this is for Non-DV Netflix content, but does that mean Netfix are giving Sony an exclusive app that presents them with exclusive content meta-data?

thewhofan

Isn't this just a picture preset like the Technicolor picture mode on Panasonic OLED and THX on Panny's past plasmas?

cobhc2008

Isn't this just a picture preset like the Technicolor picture mode on Panasonic OLED and THX on Panny's past plasmas?
Isn't Technicolor only on LG OLED's, not Panasonic?

MikeTheBike2010

I am as guilty of “chasing the dragon” for the best possible picture quality as the next person but in the end perhaps we should bear in mind that Lost in Space or the (many continuity errors in Sat Wars lightsaber colours) that it’s not real in the first place?

flashf1

I am as guilty of “chasing the dragon” for the best possible picture quality as the next person but in the end perhaps we should bear in mind that Lost in Space or the (many continuity errors in Sat Wars lightsaber colours) that it’s not real in the first place?
I hear you, but I must see exactly as the director/DP/colour grader etc artistically intended, otherwise I haven't experienced the movie/tv show properly:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

thewhofan

Isn't Technicolor only on LG OLED's, not Panasonic?
My mistake, you are right. LG has the Technicolor preset. Panasonic still use THX. Thanks for correcting me.

raduv1

Distinguished Member
Oh great - another standard developed to avoid paying Dolby licensing and to confuse punters !
The Sony displays have DV as would the inbuilt Nextflix app . This is just a feature I presume much like Pana with THX and PHL.
Just marketing .

jont

The Sony displays have DV as would the inbuilt Nextflix app . This is just a feature I presume much like Pana with THX and PHL.
Just marketing .
OK - thx for clarifying :)