NEWS: Sony expands 360 Reality Audio ecosystem

My understanding is this is basically MPEG-H.

Modern AVR DSPs can support MPEG-H but no manufacturer has stepped up with support yet. If Sony were to open this up to AVRs I would be interested; could not care less about another headphone tech.

No Spotify. No Apple Music. Until they add support this will never catch on.

Totally agree - ignoring the top 2 streaming music services is typical Sony though. I literally opened my new WH-1000XM4 headphones an hour ago, and the 360 Reality Audio feature is actually really compelling. It's definitely something I'd seek out when using Spotify. BTW, these are absolutely brilliant headphones if you're looking for noise cancellation cans for travelling - first impressions are that they're almost as good as my AU$1800 aviation-grade Bose pilot's headphones when it comes to wiping out background sound.

Totally agree - ignoring the top 2 streaming music services is typical Sony though. I literally opened my new WH-1000XM4 headphones an hour ago, and the 360 Reality Audio feature is actually really compelling. It's definitely something I'd seek out when using Spotify. BTW, these are absolutely brilliant headphones if you're looking for noise cancellation cans for travelling - first impressions are that they're almost as good as my AU$1800 aviation-grade Bose pilot's headphones when it comes to wiping out background sound.
I’ve got the xm3 which are very nearly as good by all accounts. Fantastic purchase. Apparently the new Apple ones have even better ANC. Pricey though.

Equally not sure why all the fuss over headphones? It's a bit like Dolby Vision only being promoted for smartphones... They should be showcasing how good this music can sound on a proper discrete 5.1.4 system.

Hopefully the MPEG-H codec will gain further traction in wider circles from what the article said though....

There are loads of (fantastic sounding) quadraphonic albums from the Columbia Records days in the Sony 360RA catalogue. Just hope they don't botch the mix.

Last edited:
You can get this 360 audio on Deezer already apparently

Equally not sure why all the fuss over headphones?
Neighbours or people you live with do not want to hear speakers all the time

Smaller living spaces sound the world

Because they can

Simulating surround sound effects with headphones makes more sense than applying the digital visualisation to soundbars imo

Simulating surround sound effects with headphones makes more sense than applying the digital visualisation to soundbars imo

There's no need for simulating surround effects on either headphones or soundbars when you can have the real thing with a proper surround sound set up...

I can hear for example 'Ship Ahoy' by The O'Jays in fantastic quadraphonic sound through the SACD released decades ago...

We've regressed our listening habits to a poorer quality unfortunately...

And I think that there are more issues looking at building quality control if the only way to listen to an album is through headphones for fear of neighbours listening. 😉

There's no need for simulating surround effects on either headphones or soundbars when you can have the real thing with a proper surround sound set up...

I can hear for example 'Ship Ahoy' by The O'Jays in fantastic quadraphonic sound through the SACD released decades ago...

We've regressed our listening habits to a poorer quality unfortunately...

And I think that there are more issues looking at building quality control if the only way to listen to an album is through headphones for fear of neighbours listening. 😉
Neighbours, time of day, other people in the house, prefer to shut off from the world. Optimising the headphone experience doesn’t detract from other ways to listen.

Neighbours, time of day, other people in the house, prefer to shut off from the world. Optimising the headphone experience doesn’t detract from other ways to listen.
Almost like that poster ignored the same points being made above that not everyone can own or have turned on at all hours a multi channel sound system 😏

Optimising the headphone experience doesn’t detract from other ways to listen.

This is pretty much my point though. You can't hear the actual surround mix! There currently isn't any platform to hear 360 Reality Audio content other than through headphones, or an upcoming single (mono) smart speaker!

Hopefully this will eventually be fixed but I'm not sure why it has taken so long?

Given that this music has been specifically remixed for surround sound it seems a rather ridiculous situation. I've compared some of the 360 music on headphones and it's just a wide stereo reverb effect. You'd probably be better off listening to the original stereo version. It comes nowhere near to replicating a good surround sound music mix.

And I still don't feel the need to listen to music on headphones at home. I don't play music that loud that it would disturb my neighbours and if low level music is an issue then I'd seriously consider some sound insulation. Otherwise they'd also be able to hear any normal conversations, sneezes etc etc...

Just my thoughts... If they release the surround mixes then it wouldn't be an issue... 😎

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom