NEWS: Sony confirms new PlayStation Plus pricing tiers

I’ll be sticking with “Essential”. Does what I need at a reasonable cost. I don’t really want to be paying extra for games that I have no interest in. Full Gamepass style service please - I’ve no interest in paying a premium for a second rate offering.

Can't say I'm impressed at all. Charging for backwards compatibility?
If this had day 1 games included then I would have bought an annual pass.

This isn't true backwards compatibility as you can't play the old games you already own. It's just whatever games are part of the current PS Now subscription and a few more All PSNow games

I see this more like a Netflix where you have access to loads of games, not all of them you'll like and then maybe you get access to the big studio games a year or so after release. So it could be a case for some people that it's worth signing up for a month at a time to play through some big games they haven't bought.

I still have my PS3 slim and PS2 slim hooked up to the TV in my study and I rarely play them. This is the reason Sony isn't investing heavily in backwards compatibility. It's a topic that people love to harp on about and it's a nice thing to have but the people who would frequently avail of the feature are the minority. If the classics on the Playstation store were big sellers during the PS3 or PS4 generation then Sony would invest, they obviously haven't been. That's my opinion on the whole thing anyway.

This isn't true backwards compatibility as you can't play the old games you already own. It's just whatever games are part of the current PS Now subscription and a few more All PSNow games

I see this more like a Netflix where you have access to loads of games, not all of them you'll like and then maybe you get access to the big studio games a year or so after release. So it could be a case for some people that it's worth signing up for a month at a time to play through some big games they haven't bought.

I still have my PS3 slim and PS2 slim hooked up to the TV in my study and I rarely play them. This is the reason Sony isn't investing heavily in backwards compatibility. It's a topic that people love to harp on about and it's a nice thing to have but the people who would frequently avail of the feature are the minority. If the classics on the Playstation store were big sellers during the PS3 or PS4 generation then Sony would invest, they obviously haven't been. That's my opinion on the whole thing anyway.
I completely understand. But Xbox has had the best approach towards older games, FPS boots, auto HDR and higher resolutions. All without the developer and completely free.
If only Sony could put this much effort into 'some' of their back catalogue.

I've been a PS+ subscriber from when the PS4 launched, right through to today on PS5. So I have already amassed a huge mount of 'free' games in my PS+ library. I wonder how many of the games in the two new tiers will be different to these and therefore 'new' free games?

Don't get the fuss about PS Now it's not worth it, Sony better get their act together and put some AAA titles on there like MS do if they want this to get traction.

I think its fair for the money but as with anything it depends on what PS4 and PS5 titles are going to be there day one. They have named a few big titles but not enough imho.

Probably the best deal at the moment is if you are not subbed to either just stack PS Now and get PS Plus Premium for PS Plus money.

I think Sony has missed a great opportunity to bring in a basic option for online play only. Say £35-£40 a year for nothing other than online play. I know a number of people who aren't bothered about monthly games but play online a lot and would prefer that choice.

I think Sony has missed a great opportunity to bring in a basic option for online play only. Say £35-£40 a year for nothing other than online play. I know a number of people who aren't bothered about monthly games but play online a lot and would prefer that choice.
That sounds like a great idea, there must be some reason they don't do it. As you say there are loads of people who use their console for online play or just as a FIFA/COD machine and don't play anything else.
I can only assume the amount Sony pay for the monthly games is smaller than what they would lose by adding in a tier like that.

Don't get the fuss about PS Now it's not worth it
I’m glad someone else has said it and it’s not just me. I’ve never liked to moan about Now as so many seem to think it’s the bee’s knees. Personally I think it’s pants and should have been thrown in free with PS Plus if anything.

What really annoys me is that PS Now subscribers who’ve stacked migrate over to the higher tier for the remainder of their stack but people who have stacked both PS Plus and PS Now also migrate over to the higher tier for the remainder of their stack.

So errr, thanks for rewarding our loyalty with a kick in the balls Sony.

Last edited:
Sony couldn't confirm:

• if they were organising a knees up in a brewery
  • Arthur or Martha
  • coming or going
  • staying or leaving
  • received a FPN for partying at 10 Downing Street during Rona Lockdown
  • The Messiah or just a very naughty boy
  • attempting to punch their way out of a wet paper bag

but they did, however, confirm they are going to bleed their consumers for every nickle and dime they can aided and abetted by confusion, ambiguity and vagaries.

Sony FTW!
:smashin:

Anyone know what happens if I buy a ps plus sub now come June 22 as mine runs out in 7 days. What plan will I transition too

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom