NEWS: Sony Bravia XR X95J and X85J 4K LCD TVs coming to UK in June

This may seem like a daft question, but reading that press release (which says the X90J is "mid-range"), I'm not clear on the "hierarchy" of the non-OLED Sonys this year.

Does it go:
X95J
X90J
X85J

Or:
X95J
X85J
X90J
?

In other words, which is higher tier - the X85J or the X90J?

This may seem like a daft question, but reading that press release (which says the X90J is "mid-range"), I'm not clear on the "hierarchy" of the non-OLED Sonys this year.

Does it go:
X95J
X90J
X85J

Or:
X95J
X85J
X90J
?

In other words, which is higher tier - the X85J or the X90J?
X85j is edge led
X90j is full array local dimming

Not sure where x94j fits ?
Or its maybe a currys or similar only, version of x95j with a different coloured stand or similar?

Looking at the specs, the x94J is a variant of the X90J. The only difference appears to be the legs/feet/stand.

Aluminium Blade Stand (X94J) vs Slim Blade stand

The 94 is also listed as having Rich Color Enhancer too . Their spelling not mine !

Looking at the specs, the x94J is a variant of the X90J. The only difference appears to be the legs/feet/stand.

Aluminium Blade Stand (X94J) vs Slim Blade stand
Greetings.
I own the x94j. The difference between it and the x90j is the premium aluminium blade stands and also based on the spec sheet the 'color enrichment technology', whatever that adds compared to the simple x90j model.

Greetings.
I own the x94j. The difference between it and the x90j is the premium aluminium blade stands and also based on the spec sheet the 'color enrichment technology', whatever that adds compared to the simple x90j model.
Congratulations.
Did you test the number of zones on your X94J by chance? if yes how much ? because I think that the X94J has certain differences with the X90J there is not that the stand which makes a difference.
Thank you.
Number and Size of Dimming Zones: With local dimming, different groupings of LEDs – called zones – are dimmed or brightened at the same time. With many small zones, it's easy to control how each zone affects the image. Fewer zones cover bigger areas of the screen, which could lead to more blooming. By looking at how much space is brightened around the white dot at any given time, you should be able to get an idea of the size of the zones. Also, we use this video to count the dimming zones. However, we don't publish how many zones there are because it's an estimate and not an exact number.
Source: Local Dimming on TVs: Direct-Lit, Full-Array, and Edge-Lit

Last edited:
Congratulations.
Did you test the number of zones on your X94J by chance? if yes how much ? because I think that the X94J has certain differences with the X90J there is not that the stand which makes a difference.
Thank you.

Source: Local Dimming on TVs: Direct-Lit, Full-Array, and Edge-Lit

Hello.
I do not have the ability to count these things. All i can say is i have read elsewhere that it has 20something zones (24 or 25)? I have been an xh95 owner and what i can say is that the local dimming performs better in controlling light bleeding, especially in hdr content having tested movies like Matrix 4k Blade Runner 4k Alien 4k were the small letters especially in the opening credits would prove punishing for the xh95 but were better handled on the x94j. It was quite impressive. It mostly has to do with the algorithm of the new processor and how it handles the fald system i assume since it's not really that they have increased the number of zones.
Will you get your light bleeding scenarios? Of course you will. No amount of zones and processing can eradicate this inherent led problem-issue, but this tv handles it better than my xh95 did (a superb tv i must say also). Lastly and this is very important, this tv has no firmware update whatsoever, it's just running with the out of the gate software which the about section informs is from March 2021, and this tv in the USA has already received updates that have further improved pq in regards to local dimming and game mode etc, so it would be interesting to see how it performs after even a basic software update whenever that happens!

Last edited:
no big deal thank you anyway for the report!
I asked that because I think it is the replacement for the XH95 so with the same number of zones and I do not think that Sony is releasing several series with just the stand as a difference because I find that it is not logical !
Here is. :)
and enjoy your screen.

@Vagval13 The XJ90 can't get as bright as the XH9505 so if you combine the reduced brightness capability with a potentially improved local dimming algorithm then what you are describing isn't surprising. It's not exactly a fair comparison though given theax brightness differential.

@technomen The XJ90/94 is the replacement for the XH90/92 series.

The yet to be released 65XJ95 is the replacement for the XH9505👌🏻

@Vagval13 The XJ90 can't get as bright as the XH9505 so if you combine the reduced brightness capability with a potentially improved local dimming algorithm then what you are describing isn't surprising. It's not exactly a fair comparison though given theax brightness differential.

in my opinion a series does not replace 4 series, logically the X90/92J only replaces the XH90/92 not the X90/92,93J and the X94J !
the X95J replaces the ZF9 from 2018 and the ZD9 from 2016 !
this is my reasoning everyone is free to agree or not. :)

in my opinion a series does not replace 4 series, logically the X90/92J only replaces the XH90/92 not the X90/92,93J and the X94J !
the X95J replaces the ZF9 from 2018 and the ZD9 from 2016 !
this is my reasoning everyone is free to agree or not. :)
First of all i still do want to stress that this tv has yet to receive firmware updates so everything is based on the out of the box firmware. The more i use this tv the more it is apparent that it is much better than the xh95. Yes it can't get as bright but still gets plenty bright for an led tv. Secondly the gradient preset for hdr tone mapping utilizes the xr processor for the very best results in small highlights (2-5-10% window) i have seen on a tv. Generally the way it circulates light in the panel is great. I thought the xh95 was great, but just couldn't get ovet the light bleed at times especially in 4k content. This now is almost a non issue.

We are talking about a tv which if you were an owner of a 55 inch xh95 has almost double the native contrast ratio and can't even be compared in that aspect. Lastly it has 2.1 support for gaming. I dunno. I had the xh95 49 inch and it was a great tv, but i think this processor is the next step in image quality. For movie enthusiasts only i would still recommend to make the switch when the prices go down, for people who take gaming seriously it's not even an option. For people who don't need wide viewing angles there is just no reason to get an x95j over these tvs. Just get an x94j which is the most premium that series has to offer, with better premium stands, and better color compared to the plain x90j.

How about Sony X95J? Who is stronger with Hisense U7G PRO?(mini Chinese review 65X95J):

I now see the X95J's are on sale at Curry's, though the price for a 75" is £3399, so I think I'll be sticking with my XH9505 for now.

Super annoyed at X95J starting from 65" and the fact that it's starting at £2200. Sony is on special type of crack.

Any owners of the x89j yet? Or is there an owners thread?

Super annoyed at X95J starting from 65" and the fact that it's starting at £2200. Sony is on special type of crack.
Has anyone here seen the TV in person and can vouch that the image quality justifies the eye watering price?

This is one of the latest X95J review videos coming out of China, also has some comparison shots with the XH95 ... I should probably view some of the X90J/X80J reviews first to check but everything about the Cognitive aspect of the XR processor screamed image manipulation to me (so hopefully there will be an X95J vs XH95 vs BVM-X300 comparison)

I’ve got the 50” X89J coming on Tuesday! (X85J with premium stand) will let you guys know how it is!

I’ve got the 50” X89J coming on Tuesday! (X85J with premium stand) will let you guys know how it is!

I have the 65" version and am seriously impressed with it. I can now see a big difference with HDR/Dolby vision content. Everything from the colours, the brightness and the black levels just looks so good. Some parts of the Transformers films I have been testing look incredible. Post up your thoughts when you tried it :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom