NEWS: Sony Bravia XR 2022 TV lineup includes QD-OLED and Mini LED flagships

Really hoping the 42inch and 48inch oled sets review well. I stupidly was impulsive and bought a 43inch Samsung a month ago, but the banding on some games is pretty bad.
Are you within the return window?

Oh man, that's a shame.

2022 Sony X95K "Almost" Master Series: Backlight Master Drive & More!

If the Z9K comes in under £10k then I'm leaving OLED for this. And if it hits 4000 nits then wow....

The only concern is how good (or bad) standard SkyQ HD material will look on this monster.
It will be under 10k 100%, even 85 inch version.

Really hope so!

If the Z9K comes in under £10k then I'm leaving OLED for this. And if it hits 4000 nits then wow....

The only concern is how good (or bad) standard SkyQ HD material will look on this monster.

I have ZD9 and 77A80J. I bad the ZH8 briefly.

I can say ZD9 is overall a better TV despite doing lower nits as it has better blacks, contrast and less blooming than the ZH8.

Numbers don't mean much without proper backlight control.

I am very active in the Z9J thread in AVSForum and it seems to be doing very close to 4,000 nits. For now, it's the only true successor to the Z9D going by numbers.

I was very close to buying the 75Z9J.

For movies, my 77A80J outperforms the ZD9 especially when its around 1000 nits. The ZD9 only shines in very bright high APL scenes. If you a gamer then probably higher nits will help.

What are the difference between A80J and A80K in 55" and 65"? XR Contrast pro, EVO panel and VRR and smaller remote. So it will be even closer to A90J performance like A80J in 77"? Will it also have a glossy finish like most OLEDs have?

Last edited:
What are the difference between A80J and A80K? XR Contrast pro, EVO panel and VRR, so it will be even closer to A90J performance? Will it also have a glossy finish like most OLEDs have?
The 77"A80J already has the EVO panel , it looks like the smaller sizes will get it too on the A80K

I know. I'm not interested in 77". 55" and 65" are enaugh for me. I forgot to mention that I'm asking what are the difference between the smaller sizes.

From avsforum:

The new A80K has the newer panel in all sizes (instead of just the 77" of the A80J)

It also has XR OLED Contrast Pro now.

It also now has one more and upgraded Acoustic Surface Audio+ speakers.

It also now has hands-free voice control built into Google TV.

So, it's a lot more like the A90J now - minus the headsink the A90J has.

We don't yet know if Sony decided to put the flagship glossy screens (of the A90J and 77" A80J) on the A80K series or leave the matte-type finish of the old A80J series (55/65" sizes).

Looks like I might wait for A80K instead of buying A80J, it will be quite an improvement in 55" and 65". I hope it will have the glossy screen aswell.

From avsforum:

The new A80K has the newer panel in all sizes (instead of just the 77" of the A80J)

We don't yet know if Sony decided to put the flagship glossy screens (of the A90J and 77" A80J) on the A80K series or leave the matte-type finish of the old A80J series (55/65" sizes).

Looks like I might wait for A80K instead of buying A80J, it will be quite an improvement in 55" and 65". I hope it will have the glossy screen aswell.
The current A84J has the built in hands free voice control already

From avsforum:

Thanks for that, so does that mean the A90K in 42 and 48inch are ranked higher in the lineup than the A80K? Cheers

Thanks for that, so does that mean the A90K in 42 and 48inch are ranked higher in the lineup than the A80K? Cheers
The A90K is a Master Series TV, so yes, it technically ranks higher than the A80K, but there will be little real difference between the two in terms of performance. You do get that additional quality control with the Master Series, which is nice. :)

The A90K is a Master Series TV, so yes, it technically ranks higher than the A80K, but there will be little real difference between the two in terms of performance. You do get that additional quality control with the Master Series, which is nice. :)
Thank you, to be honest if they did a cheaper 42inch model with 120hz and VRR I'd probably go for it. It's between this or the LG.

I only have a Series X and unlikely to get a PS5.

A90K is Master series, because it is 42 and 48 inch size. Not because of performance.

LG said, that smaller sizes have worse performance due to higher pixel density.
It is proven also by tests - You can compare avforums tests of 48 inch C1 and 55/65.

My eyes are on the LG C2 and A80K this year. Let the battle begin 👀

People don't always specify the size that they want when they mention a television series which has a range of sizes .......
Well, these are only being released in 75 & 85? Hardly a range ;-)
Hopefully we will get an insight into pricing soon as I have my eye on the 85.

Regarding the X95K & Z9K, what exactly is the “XR Master Backlight Drive”? From my understanding, the BMD allowed each LED to be individually controlled instead of zonal control. It also had a denser LED layout. Now with mini-LED, the LED’s are already very densely packed, and judging from Sony’s promotional video’s, they’re using dimming zones for the mini-LED. Apart from dimming algorithms, how would the “XR Master Backlight Drive” differ from the existing one in the Z9D?

Am I right in thinking the lower range, eg. X85k isn’t really any different to the X85j? I haven’t seen anything that stands out apart from 100 hz screens…although not really sure what that does.

Same here. I’m much more excited about the X95K with its Mini LED and Sony’s legendary Backlight Master Drive than any other TV this year.
Being a very happy owner of a 65XE93, a TV’s brightness is very important to me if it’s of course well “managed” and ZD9 and XE93 are a testament to that. And on paper the upcoming X95K looks like it’ll be even better.
Can’t wait to see how it’ll perform when it comes out!

Am in the same boat. I love my 65XE93 and it has served me well. Yes the backlight isn't perfect and has some blooming issues but overall it works well and my god it's bright when it needs to be.

It's time for an upgrade though and was always going to stick with Sony as I like their industrial design and motion processing so was waiting for them to get on the Mini LED bandwagon.

Also looking to step up to 75" so all depends on pricing for the 75" X95K model.

It's amazing how prices plummet so soon after launch though. Checked its predecessor the X95J on Pricerunner which shows it launching last April at around £3200 but then dropping to £2000 in August!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom