NEWS: Sony Bravia XR 2022 TV lineup includes QD-OLED and Mini LED flagships

Exheo

Standard Member
It's amazing how prices plummet so soon after launch though. Checked its predecessor the X95J on Pricerunner which shows it launching last April at around £3200 but then dropping to £2000 in August!
This really is the case with the Sony. They always have very high launching price but after a short time they always make huge discounts. I don't know why they do that. I also really wonder what will be the price of 65X95K. What do you guys think? Around 2500-2600 Euro or will they up their prices really high because of the miniled and backlight master drive?

Vertigo1

Pricerunner shows the 65X95J launching at £2k, then rising to £2.2 before being briefly discounted to £1249 in July and again in August.

Really does pay to wait with Sony. Will hang on and read reviews when the 75X95K launches in April but, assuming it's all good, will hang on until August if there's a likelihood it's going to get heavily discounted.

As for K vs J pricing, I fully expect the K to launch at a higher price, due to both the Mini LED tech and also general component shortages and shipping costs these days. I reckon the 65 will launch around £2500 and the 75 around £3500.

HaRd2BeAr

Distinguished Member
Pricerunner shows the 65X95J launching at £2k, then rising to £2.2 before being briefly discounted to £1249 in July and again in August.

Really does pay to wait with Sony. Will hang on and read reviews when the 75X95K launches in April but, assuming it's all good, will hang on until August if there's a likelihood it's going to get heavily discounted.

As for K vs J pricing, I fully expect the K to launch at a higher price, due to both the Mini LED tech and also general component shortages and shipping costs these days. I reckon the 65 will launch around £2500 and the 75 around £3500.
Hopefully that goes for the A90K too! 🤞

Exheo

Standard Member
I also think X95K will be more expensive than X95J. Sony wouldn't give the miniled and backlight master drive without an increase in prices. But i also think they will make huge discounts in a couple of months.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
I also think X95K will be more expensive than X95J. Sony wouldn't give the miniled and backlight master drive without an increase in prices. But i also think they will make huge discounts in a couple of months.

I doubt that as Mini-LEDs have been there for few years but with lesser adoption. Otherwise, Sony are spitting on their own grave. Look at the launch price of Samsung 2021 Neo QLED and the price few months after launch.

I am expecting 3K for 75X95K and 4K for 85X95K and then a drop of £500-£1000 by Black Friday.

Vertigo1

As above, last year's 'J' models had massive drops by July/August so I doubt you'd have to wait until Black Friday for the 'K' models to drop.

Basically they only seem to keep them at the initial price for 3/4 months to milk the suckers and early adopters, then the prices drop right back.

There does also seem to be a lot of competition now as Mini LED has given all the manufacturers something new to flog.

Lex89

Hey guys, not sure if I missed it somewhere but do any of you know when the new Sony lineup will be released? I purchased a Samsung QN95A which I will return because the local dimming is awful and so I am looking for a new TV and think I will go for the X95K. Until then I will have to put my Sony X90E back into use :)

skyform

QD OLED really looks amazing and has no green tint. I seriously dislike the green tint of OLED, otherwise OLED is amazing but the green tint is killing me. So far I returned every OLED I had because of the greenish picture which I couldn't get rid of with any setting. I can't wait to see QD OLED for myself.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
QD OLED really looks amazing and has no green tint. I seriously dislike the green tint of OLED, otherwise OLED is amazing but the green tint is killing me. So far I returned every OLED I had because of the greenish picture which I couldn't get rid of with any setting. I can't wait to see QD OLED for myself.

You not joking right mate?

skyform

You not joking right mate?
No I'm not joking. I had a Panasonic GZ950 and Philips 706 OLED and both had a green tint which I couldn't get rid of. Whites were greenish, there was no true white like on LCD and I couldn't fix this with WB settings. I just ordered Sony A80J and if this one has a green tint I'm done with OLED. Then I'm going to wait for X95K because QD OLED will probably be too expensive for a while.

Look at this, does this look white to you, the upper part was reddish while the bottom greenish. For example subtitles in a movie were greenish while the sky was reddish. It was not as problematic with normal content but as soon as there was something brighter like snow, sky, grey, menus in games, it was terrible. That's not white, that's a rainbow mess.

m3HpTHQ.png

Also every OLED is very greenish of angle and I hate that! I hate greenish picture, if it has a tint then I prefer reddish. I hate every display that has a greenish tint and always try to get rid of it as soon as I buy a new display, if it's not possible then I'm not keeping it. I also don't like the warm or expert WB preset like all pros recommend. I like a more neutral WB like with Sony in cool or neutral preset and OLEDs look greenish in this presets.

Last edited:

Boxinghris

I believe the A80K this year will be using the higher spec LG EVO™© or whatever we want to call it panel. So higher potential brightness, though no heatsink so won't be juicing too high.
The 77” A80J already uses the Evo panel.

Boxinghris

True. But the A80J, like the C1, due to the fact that models in the range may have had the non EVO panel, didn’t make use of the EVO's added brightness. This year's A80K and C2 are all using the EVO/EVO EX panel and are making use of its enhancements. So this year's models should have better ABL and peak highlights compared to last years.
063AF1D8-DB1F-4107-95B0-41202F200FFF.jpeg

Looks pretty bright to me.

dadio

Novice Member
Ready to buy an A90J at 77 or 83". just reduced to $6kUS. Doesn't look like anything in the 2022 will come along close to the price/performance. What do you think?

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Ready to buy an A90J at 77 or 83". just reduced to $6kUS. Doesn't look like anything in the 2022 will come along close to the price/performance. What do you think?

Panasonic 77LZ2000 could come close or even be better than the A90J.

SonOfSJ

@dadio I'm guessing that you're in the USA? If so. you won't have access to Panasonic's OLEDs that @Igans31 mentions, which are probably the best televisions in Britain. And worldwide, the Sony A90J is available in only 83", not 77".

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Cap from CES 2002

qdoledfirstlook_6_large.jpg

Here is a picture of the scene from my 77A80J taken using my 4 year old mobile with an average camera.

IMG_20220124_190433502_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220124_191414152_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

dCS announces Bartók 2.0 firmware upgrade
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Audiovector unveils QR 7 loudspeaker
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on UK streaming services for June 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
LG UltraGear Gaming Monitors get VESA certification