NEWS: Sony Bravia XR 2022 TV lineup includes QD-OLED and Mini LED flagships

Goldorak

Distinguished Member
When a 65" TV is too small for people these days, it shows that this world is heading in the wrong direction. Not so long ago people used to watch Cathode TVs in 30" or less and now a 65" is too small for some people. I can watch 55" from 3-4m without problems so don't tell me 65" is not enough for this distance. Most people don't watch from further than 3-4m. Watching 75" from 2m like some is just crazy.
Frankly it all depend on your budget and environment at home. I will have a 65 at 2.5m and a 75 at 3-4 without any issues. My small flat can barely do with 55 but will try squeeze a 65 (or get a new place)

A far more exciting angle is the fact the technology moved so much that I can have such an experience at home. The immersion in a 55/65/75 alongside the resolution/hdr/color gamut/sound/motion is unreal…we are very very lucky

SonOfSJ

A far more exciting angle is the fact the technology moved so much that I can have such an experience at home. The immersion in a 55/65/75 alongside the resolution/hdr/color gamut/sound/motion is unreal…we are very very lucky

And a better audio-visual experience than in most commercial cinemas.

SonOfSJ

Was just about to get the X95J and now these have just been announced. Think I'll wait for the X95K as its a mini led. What price does everyone think it will be?

Million dollar question. Will they keep prices similar to the X95J or will they up it even more?
We must remember that the now-revered Sony ZD9 series from 2016 cost £7K for the 75" size, but I bought mine right at the end of its run in April 2018 for £5,200. Technology has become a bit cheaper in five years since the ZD9 series was released and we now get more technology for the same or less money than previously. A more recent comparison is that the Sony 85X95J LCD television cost about £4,500 when it was released last year (though it's now down to £2989. So I'll guess that the forthcoming 75X95K will cost £4,500 and the 85X95K will be £6,000 at release in the summer.

Boris Blank

Just watched HDTVTest latest video on YouTube where he has a quick peek at MiniLED v MicroLED (courtesy of Samsung though so apologies for posting here but it's worthwhile to see the new tech in the flesh at CES), have a look. I'm starting saving now.....!

Emick81

I'm still annoyed that X95K is not in 55". What is Sony smoking....
Me 2. Since I don't want to go the OLED route on my TV in the living room (Reflections and Sun)
and 55 is the maximum size that I can use comfortably there is not really an upgrade path for my XE9305.

But If Mini Led becomes more used by other companies in 55 inch there is always an option that Sony will produce a high quality 55 inch Mini Led somewhere in the future.

On the other side my XE9305 still produces Amazing images and I should be ashamed of myself of even thinking about an upgrade at this moment. :p

Goldorak

Distinguished Member
Just watched HDTVTest latest video on YouTube where he has a quick peek at MiniLED v MicroLED (courtesy of Samsung though so apologies for posting here but it's worthwhile to see the new tech in the flesh at CES), have a look. I'm starting saving now.....!

Very interesting but will take couple of years for normal people

Last edited:

dts197

Distinguished Member
When a 65" TV is too small for people these days, it shows that this world is heading in the wrong direction. Not so long ago people used to watch Cathode TVs in 30" or less and now a 65" is too small for some people. I can watch 55" from 3-4m without problems so don't tell me 65" is not enough for this distance. Most people don't watch from further than 3-4m. Watching 75" from 2m like some is just crazy.
I can watch a 55" 3/4m without problems. Looks very unimpressive though. So yes, 65" isn't enough for me and that's at a 2.4m distance.

You do realise you're on a tech forum? Where people have all kinds preferences/budgets/circumstances? Do you object to people on here buying projector screens of 120/130" as well? Just because you're happy with something, don't assume everyone else should fit your criteria.

Last edited:

Boris Blank

Very interesting but will take couple of years for normal people
Indeed and by then there may well be something better of course but the tech looks good and a very viable alternative to OLED and QD-OLED at least on paper if not in the flesh.

I'm intrigued by the color difference in the rock formation(?) as per your link screen above. They appear to be completely different and begs the question which one is more accurate and why are they different (assuming that they have both been calibrated). I don't think a brighter picture could be responsible for such a difference unless the brightness really distorted things which of course it shouldn't and the answer could be to do with how Vincent filmed the video of course. Minor nit-picking point though, its the leap to (almost) consumer MicroLED and its abilities pq-wise thats the important bit.

Cost though is the blot on the horizon and the timescale to be affordable for us mere mortals as you rightly stated............!

Hopefully no-one is offended by posting Samsung stuff in a Sony forum but the tech is relevent to both brands and the comparison to MiniLED is important and interesting.

Goldorak

Distinguished Member
Indeed and by then there may well be something better of course but the tech looks good and a very viable alternative to OLED and QD-OLED at least on paper if not in the flesh.

I'm intrigued by the color difference in the rock formation(?) as per your link screen above. They appear to be completely different and begs the question which one is more accurate and why are they different (assuming that they have both been calibrated). I don't think a brighter picture could be responsible for such a difference unless the brightness really distorted things which of course it shouldn't and the answer could be to do with how Vincent filmed the video of course. Minor nit-picking point though, its the leap to (almost) consumer MicroLED and its abilities pq-wise thats the important bit.

Cost though is the blot on the horizon and the timescale to be affordable for us mere mortals as you rightly stated............!

Hopefully no-one is offended by posting Samsung stuff in a Sony forum but the tech is relevent to both brands and the comparison to MiniLED is important and interesting.
Yep. We went on a slight tangent but this year is special with qantum oled and mini led. Comparison to micro led is inevitable.

This said, time to close the comparison. I am more excited by qantum oled and the return of master drive boosted by mini led…interesting times indeed.

sammy20v

Well darn. Just bought a x95j but I am 99% sure I am going to have to buy a x95k with the mini led tech next year.

Last edited:

Base13

Me 2. Since I don't want to go the OLED route on my TV in the living room (Reflections and Sun)
and 55 is the maximum size that I can use comfortably there is not really an upgrade path for my XE9305.

But If Mini Led becomes more used by other companies in 55 inch there is always an option that Sony will produce a high quality 55 inch Mini Led somewhere in the future.

On the other side my XE9305 still produces Amazing images and I should be ashamed of myself of even thinking about an upgrade at this moment. :p
Apparently QD-OLED is very good with reflections, so don’t discount the Sony A95K.

NTWasabi

Novice Member
Any idea when the x95k will be released in Aus? - I was just about to by the X95J but now tempted to wait...

SonOfSJ

A YouTuber called Keep it Classy Tech has released this video detailing the 2022 television ranges for LG and Sony. The video is quite short, only eleven minutes, but it's really quite good. You can play the video here or just read from this screen save taken one minute and 17 seconds into it.

Keep it clasy tech LG and Sony TVs CES 2022.jpg

Last edited:

Lvrhs

Telling that TV's are getting too big is stupid.
For 100 years people are going to cinema to watch movies on massive screens.
What is wrong with trying to get cinema feel on home with big TV?

Recall

Same Mediatek but paired with custom co-processor. Thanks to that all XR models are already capable of full [email protected] 4:4:4 without compromises. The only question is how will they handle VRR.

Went cheap isn't accurate, they always had Mediatek paired with own co-processor, most manufacturers don't use co-processors. There wasn't anything better from Mediatek at that time and adapting a new SOC takes some time so if Mediatek released something new a few months ago we won't see it yet.

In fact, picture quality wise Sony now offers best [email protected] mode in the business as LGs have worse gradation handling at [email protected]
VRR is a must with Dolby Vision if they want to compete with LG.

SonOfSJ

VRR is a must with Dolby Vision if they want to compete with LG.
I can't now remember where I read it, in an article or a video clip, but I'm pretty certain that (in marked contrast to Sony televisions in 2020 and 2021, which got their VRR software updates later, sometimes much later, than promised when the televisions were released) all 2022 models that should have VRR will have it enabled right out of the box - so Sony television will now be just like LG and Samsung televisions have been for the past two years.

SonOfSJ

@824587 Where in the world are you?

Adookah

I'm hyped for the new Sony TV's. Maybe it's time to change my beloved XF90 😁

HaRd2BeAr

Distinguished Member
Really hoping the 42inch and 48inch oled sets review well. I stupidly was impulsive and bought a 43inch Samsung a month ago, but the banding on some games is pretty bad.

In debate about going up to 48inch, I imagine I wouldn't notice the 1 inch drop to 42 and it is directly at the end of the bed so it's not that far away...

walshy77

If the Z9K comes in under £10k then I'm leaving OLED for this. And if it hits 4000 nits then wow....

The only concern is how good (or bad) standard SkyQ HD material will look on this monster.

Livemo

If the Z9K comes in under £10k then I'm leaving OLED for this. And if it hits 4000 nits then wow....

The only concern is how good (or bad) standard SkyQ HD material will look on this monster.
Another option would be a welcome is a based stand like the ZD9. No doubt this is goito be a beast of a tv

SonOfSJ

If the Z9K comes in under £10k then I'm leaving OLED for this.
People don't always specify the size that they want when they mention a television series which has a range of sizes .......

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Netflix UK for June 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Triangle announces new wireless Borea Active bookshelf speakers
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Cleer Audio announces Arc earbuds
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Support AVForums with Patreon