NEWS: Sony announces XG83, XG81, XG80 and XG70 4K HDR TVs

What HDR standards will these TV's be supporting
HDR10 and HLG only most likely. Don't get your hopes up for some magic Sony turnaround (like a Philips you're presumably thinking of) ;)

Should have Dolby vision as well given most 2018 Sony’s now have it via the firmware update

Should have Dolby vision as well given most 2018 Sony’s now have it via the firmware update
Most? Haven't seen anyone reporting that yet (and afaik no model below an X1 Extreme will and can get a DV update)

Last edited:
Most - including 2016 and 2017 sets :thumbsup:

Firmware update for Sony’s 2016 and 2017 Android TVs (XD70, XD75, XD80, SD80, XD83, ZD9, XE80, XE83, XE85, XE90, XE93, XE94 and A1 Series) – 28th March 2018 [Update] | Sony UK

The point is you don't update old sets with DV if you're not using it in your new ones. Ditto the 4K players. Sony have obviously 'gotten with the program' Sony now offers higher-end 4K player with Dolby Vision at CES 2019
See my updated post and info given in the link you provided ;) (the XF90 and AF8 are the only additional models to the list)

Introduces Dolby Vision content support for video streaming apps/services installed on the TV (such as Amazon Prime Video and Netflix)*
  • ZD9, XE94, XE93 and A1 only
If the new 2019 models are all getting the new SoC it might be a possibility but then they would've probably shouted it from the rooftops like Philips have already (and Philips only have a handful of models to licence it for).

Last edited:
There's an echo in here :D

The point is you don't update old sets with DV if you're not using it in your new ones. Ditto the 4K players. Sony have obviously 'gotten with the program'

I guess we'll have to wait and see :thumbsup:

The point is you don't update old sets with DV if you're not using it in your new ones. Ditto the 4K players. Sony have obviously 'gotten with the program'

I think the point is only their past high end sets with a specific SoC received an update, so won’t necessarily mean these mid range models in 2019 will get anything...

Yes repetition seems to be necessary for the point to come across ;): you are the one who claimed most of 2018 (16 and 17), in other words the old models are now capable of DV.
And then you go around making a post about not updating the old sets?
So your point seems to be: most sets (2018, 16 & 17) support DV yet they don't because the new ones don't either o_O?

The recent update did not update most sets to DV capability nor did the old update you linked to.
The SoC on the new Android TV platform does support DV natively (unlike the old one) so if all models are on the new platform they technically should be DV capable, just like on the Philips models (down to the lower end 6000 series).

Perhaps we can simplify it: only Sony models with X1 Extreme and Ultra chipsets can do DV. X1 and below cannot.

This is regardless of what Android OS the TVs can or do run on.

Perhaps we can simplify it: only Sony models with X1 Extreme and Ultimate chipsets can do DV. X1 and below cannot.

This is regardless of what Android OS the TVs can or do run on.

Last edited:
Do the 2019 models still feature antiquated 10/100Mbit Ethernet ports?

At this point, wondering if the xg83 43" will be VA, rather than IPS like last years xf85 43".

At this point, wondering if the xg83 43" will be VA, rather than IPS like last years xf85 43".
US resident here. We're not as fortunate and don't get many of the 43 inch models like the xg83. I don't think the xf85 came out here in 43 either. I've been looking for a 120hz panel in 43 with decent input lag and the ability to do 1080/1440p at 120hz. It's been cut out of Samsungs q60 in the 43 inch, presumably because they don't want the TV competing with their own qled monitors. Do either of the Sonys do this to your knowledge? I'll figure out a way to import one if I have to, assuming 120hz output actually works!

US resident here. We're not as fortunate and don't get many of the 43 inch models like the xg83. I don't think the xf85 came out here in 43 either. I've been looking for a 120hz panel in 43 with decent input lag and the ability to do 1080/1440p at 120hz. It's been cut out of Samsungs q60 in the 43 inch, presumably because they don't want the TV competing with their own qled monitors. Do either of the Sonys do this to your knowledge? I'll figure out a way to import one if I have to, assuming 120hz output actually works!
According to the Rtings review the XF85 can and the XG83 should be exactly the same set ... (I have only known of one instance in 'recent' years where the smallest model had a 60Hz panel (42W800B) and it was nicely indicated as having half the Motionflow rating of the bigger sizes. Since these are listed as 100Hz models you can assume there will be no difference in sizes. Of course it would be better to have it tested to be sure; the 43" doesn't seem to be popular because it doesn't have a VA panel)
T-CON LVDS 6870C-0749A 6871L-5439AG FOR SONY KD-43XF8505 TV | eBay here you can see the t-con board stating 120Hz control (says 60Hz on the 60Hz model ones)

Last edited:
According to the Rtings review the XF85 can and the XG83 should be exactly the same set ...

That's awesome, thank you for confirming. Now just to find a vendor that will actually ship outside the UK. So far no dice.

According to displayspecification, both the 43" & 49" XG83 are IPS panels. Very disappointing.

According to displayspecification, both the 43" & 49" XG83 are IPS panels. Very disappointing.

As it looks all 2019 Sony TV's up to XG900 are IPS panels. Only XG900 and XG950 are VA, very dissapointing. Would like to see a 55XG850 with VA panel, a improved version of 55XE850, so dissapointing.

Hey guys, does anyone know any information on the XG83's HDR capabilities in terms of peak brightness? Looking for a decent 4K HDR 43inch for my parents...

Does anyone know if the Sony 2019 models support eARC? Specifically the 43" XG8396.
Cheers

Does anyone know if the Sony 2019 models support eARC? Specifically the 43" XG8396.
Cheers
Answering my own question here, the 43" XG8396 does NOT come with an eARC port, just standard ARC ( i ad the tv delivered yesterday). Btw great TV, paid only £650 for it through an ebay seller from Spain, usual UK RRP is £999.

has anyone got the XG70 and what are your thoughts on it? btw the xg7073 looks like it runs Unix and not Android unlike the previous models??

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom