NEWS: Sony announces VPL-VW590 and VPL-VW790 native 4K home cinema projectors

JamesBaby

Thanks again to @Slinkywizard for the suggested settings. The picture looks incredible. I've only been able to watch a one full movie in 4k, and tested others briefly in scenes, but they looked amazing.

Some initial observations and opinions:

The picture is just sublime and in my limited viewing so far I am really happy. You may recall I had a demo of a 790ES a while back and was impressed but not fully sure about it at that time. Well I'm really happy with it now. I looked

The black level, and shadow detail in 4K HDR is really good. Only in a tiny amount of viewing such as a slow pan of a starlit space scene do you notice that it's not super black black like it is in other scenes. As soon as a bright object appears in view, such as a planet or spaceship your eyes only see it as a deep black. Very impressive. If real DTM improves on this then I can only imagine the picture would be breathtaking.

With my ATV4K watching SDR, I think I need to adjust some settings as strangely the black level looks quite raised by comparison. More tweaking and calibrating as time goes on will hopefully resolve this.

Laser output level and unit noise. The Sony 790ES on 100% laser is louder than my x30 on high lamp. Understandable as the calibrated lumens are around 1650 as opposed to 700. However its not the sound level that I find an issue. It's the fact that the Sony modulates it's fan speed according to what's on display, and that ramping down or up of the fan I find intrusive during quiet passages. I've played with the output level and I believe even at 3.26m wide, I can reduce the output level slightly so that the fan noise is no longer noticeable. If the fan would just stay at full speed, or a constant speed your brain just cancels it out. (Service menu opton?)

There are two options for Laser dimming. Full and Limited. The dimming has no effect that I can see until you get down to the darkest of images such as space scenes, and title credits.. Limited works really well and I can't notice its operation. Full is amazing as it can turn off the laser to give you true fade to black. However during credits at the end of a film that flash on an off (not credits that scroll upwards) you can notice it go on and off at each credit. A rare occurrence as most credits scroll upwards, but annoying if you're ocd like me.

Regarding Sony Reality Creation. Although I can see it draws out detail in many scenes, I can't seem to find a setting where it doesn't add objectionable noise to the image. Most noticeable on faces when tested on The Force Awakens for example. However I will test again after my issue detailed below is resolved, in case it's my unit at fault.

Interestingly, I've had an issue with my unit. The convergence wasn't great, and credit to Sony Prime Support, service and warranty, they are shipping me out a replacement to arrive tomorrow. This was after speaking directly with their technical team which I thought was great. I hear that with JVC you don't get to speak with JVC and only through your dealer. So it was nice to directly explain the issue, and email pictures of the issue and discuss various settings directly with a technical person.

With the Sony 590 and 790 note that you get 3 year Prime Support Pro Warranty, but if you register within 60 days it's upgraded to Elite level. This means additional benefits such as a loan projector whilst yours is getting fixed. Can be extended to 5 years for a fee I think. See attachment.

Attachments

• Sony Projector Warranty info.pdf
    928.3 KB · Views: 51

Slinkywizard

Thanks again to @Slinkywizard for the suggested settings. The picture looks incredible. I've only been able to watch a one full movie in 4k, and tested others briefly in scenes, but they looked amazing.

Some initial observations and opinions:

The picture is just sublime and in my limited viewing so far I am really happy. You may recall I had a demo of a 790ES a while back and was impressed but not fully sure about it at that time. Well I'm really happy with it now. I looked

The black level, and shadow detail in 4K HDR is really good. Only in a tiny amount of viewing such as a slow pan of a starlit space scene do you notice that it's not super black black like it is in other scenes. As soon as a bright object appears in view, such as a planet or spaceship your eyes only see it as a deep black. Very impressive. If real DTM improves on this then I can only imagine the picture would be breathtaking.

With my ATV4K watching SDR, I think I need to adjust some settings as strangely the black level looks quite raised by comparison. More tweaking and calibrating as time goes on will hopefully resolve this.

Laser output level and unit noise. The Sony 790ES on 100% laser is louder than my x30 on high lamp. Understandable as the calibrated lumens are around 1650 as opposed to 700. However its not the sound level that I find an issue. It's the fact that the Sony modulates it's fan speed according to what's on display, and that ramping down or up of the fan I find intrusive during quiet passages. I've played with the output level and I believe even at 3.26m wide, I can reduce the output level slightly so that the fan noise is no longer noticeable. If the fan would just stay at full speed, or a constant speed your brain just cancels it out. (Service menu opton?)

There are two options for Laser dimming. Full and Limited. The dimming has no effect that I can see until you get down to the darkest of images such as space scenes, and title credits.. Limited works really well and I can't notice its operation. Full is amazing as it can turn off the laser to give you true fade to black. However during credits at the end of a film that flash on an off (not credits that scroll upwards) you can notice it go on and off at each credit. A rare occurrence as most credits scroll upwards, but annoying if you're ocd like me.

Regarding Sony Reality Creation. Although I can see it draws out detail in many scenes, I can't seem to find a setting where it doesn't add objectionable noise to the image. Most noticeable on faces when tested on The Force Awakens for example. However I will test again after my issue detailed below is resolved, in case it's my unit at fault.

Interestingly, I've had an issue with my unit. The convergence wasn't great, and credit to Sony Prime Support, service and warranty, they are shipping me out a replacement to arrive tomorrow. This was after speaking directly with their technical team which I thought was great. I hear that with JVC you don't get to speak with JVC and only through your dealer. So it was nice to directly explain the issue, and email pictures of the issue and discuss various settings directly with a technical person.

With the Sony 590 and 790 note that you get 3 year Prime Support Pro Warranty, but if you register within 60 days it's upgraded to Elite level. This means additional benefits such as a loan projector whilst yours is getting fixed. Can be extended to 5 years for a fee I think. See attachment.

I'll be honest I just can't hear mine, even with laser at MAX, but then I do tend to listen to material on a setting labeled REALLY BOLLOCKING LOUD, so maybe it's that.

With reality creation, yes, it's a personal taste thing for sure. It is, at the end of the day, about finding the picture you like more than it is finding the scientifically most accurate or sharp one.

With the convergence, silly question, but I'm guessing you've spent a fair amount of time on panel alignment by zone, rather than by the whole image? My last three Sony projectors have all required considerable time tweaking by zone, to perfection and have come with convergence quite a long way off out of the box.

The other thing to consider is that these units take about 30-60 minutes to flatten out and reach an even operating temperature. Temperature affects both convergence and focus since all materials, including lenses, expand and contract with heat. Therefore, you have to have the unit on for an hour, then adjust the panel alignment to perfect. When switcing it on again going forward it will then take 30-60 minutes for the alignment and focus to reach your warmed up settings. This is normal. I'm telling you this because if it's this 'normal' that you're actually having problems with your new unit will be just the same.

EDIT: For the washed-outness of Apple TV, try setting the Gamma correction to 2.6 to see if that nails it.

Last edited:

JamesBaby

I just realised i didn't post on the correct Owners Thread. So I've copied it over there, and will unfollow this one.

@Slinkywizard Perhaps you could do the same and mods close this thread.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom