NEWS: Sony announces VPL-VW590 and VPL-VW790 native 4K home cinema projectors

DB9S

So, apart from the 590 getting the DFO, (which they could add to the 570 as a firmware update along with the HDR/Contrast Enhancer) what is properly new exactly?
Sounds like a 570 and 760 with new software to me.
The only really new product is the 380.
Pah! Disappointed. :(
Will there be a firmware update for those of us who spent the same as for a really nice car on our current projectors? That is the question.

jakimp

dynamic tone mapping for HDR on a scene by scene basis seems to the new news -no news on contrast enhancement though so closer to the N series for the 590 but maybe not close enough. JVC already tone maps frame by frame and in mid november will add further HDR improvements with home theatre optimiser. i agree with the first poster firmware updates for the 570/760 should follow the example set by JVC in adding free upgrades by firmware.

what may really upset 570 owners is if the 590 is going to be priced lower than the outgoing model as has been rumoured

the 790 may well be a real alternative to an NX9 if the DTM works so an external processor is not needed and the price falls to 12k euros as has been rumoured in europe. not quite "affordable" native 4K laser projection but closer

mb3195

Distinguished Member
So, apart from the 590 getting the DFO, (which they could add to the 570 as a firmware update along with the HDR/Contrast Enhancer) what is properly new exactly?
Sounds like a 570 and 760 with new software to me.
The only really new product is the 380.
Pah! Disappointed. :(
Will there be a firmware update for those of us who spent the same as for a really nice car on our current projectors? That is the question.
Sony announced a couple of months ago that there would be a major firmware update in autumn this year.

Personally I can't see much difference with this new range compared to the old one, which for me having owned a 760 for only 6 months is a good thing, especially as I paid a fair bit less than the RRP! :rotfl:

dms

Sony announced a couple of months ago that there would be a major firmware update in autumn this year.

Personally I can't see much difference with this new range compared to the old one, which for me having owned a 760 for only 6 months is a good thing, especially as I paid a fair bit less than the RRP! :rotfl:
Always the way with display tech, nothing stands still eh ? I paid RRP but 2.5 years ago and my wife's attitude is "would you trade the 1k+ hours you had on the unit so far, much of it evenings during the lockdown, just to have paid less now?" fair cop.

I still haven't applied the current firmware update figuring I'd need to calibrate it professionally again and I don't want any problems during the lockdown. If there is another big update on the way I'll certainly hold off!

jakimp

i doubt if the DTM would benefit you very much as i see you use a lumagen

this is my major irritation with AV kit in general with manufacturer producing "new" models that add little of any real value with the effect of gutting the value of older models - granted receivers are by far the biggest abusers here

with higher end projectors i think a 3 year run would make more sense as with the processing power now onboard what is the need for a new model until hardware upgrades are needed?

dms

I won't be hunting for the new specs but in a perfect world I'd have been after the unit being able to do more than 60fps at 4k. If I upgrade my PC with the new range of gfx cards (entirely for Cyberpunk 2077) then I have the problem that I can't standing gaming at 60fps anymore!

mb3195

Distinguished Member
i doubt if the DTM would benefit you very much as i see you use a lumagen

this is my major irritation with AV kit in general with manufacturer producing "new" models that add little of any real value with the effect of gutting the value of older models - granted receivers are by far the biggest abusers here

with higher end projectors i think a 3 year run would make more sense as with the processing power now onboard what is the need for a new model until hardware upgrades are needed?
you’re right, the new model would be of no benefit to me, so all in all, I’m happy knowing that I don’t have to upgrade again!!:clap:

DB9S

They did? Can you post a link or suchlike to that info please?
That is because it looks like precisely zero has changed hardware wise on these 'new' models.
Who do Sony think they are kidding when the only truly new model is one that costs as much as a luxury sports car? And that is before you furnish it with the critical piece of equipment that is a lens!! o_O:facepalm:
They have lost the plot I think.

mb3195

Distinguished Member
That is because it looks like precisely zero has changed hardware wise on these 'new' models.
Who do Sony think they are kidding when the only truly new model is one that costs as much as a luxury sports car? And that is before toy furnish it with the critical piece of equipment that is a lens!! o_O:facepalm:
I read it on avs a while back, but it won’t include the new HDR optimiser, which for the money is a bit of a joke really, a £15k projector that can’t do HDR properly.

I would stress to anyone who has a pj around this sort of money though that you really need a lumagen to get the absolute best from the unit. I would say that only the Z1/lumagen combo would produce a better image on the market.

Rarity

Novice Member
Who do Sony think they are kidding when the only truly new model is one that costs as much as a luxury sports car? And that is before you furnish it with the critical piece of equipment that is a lens!! o_O:facepalm:
No, the hardware has been updated. They have the new X1 chip (and probably more). This means they have the processing power to do DTM. That is also why DTM is not possible on the earlier models as Sony confirmed today.

Trojan

Distinguished Member
Watched a video where the Sony UK rep said that the 570 and 760 will not be software upgraded to do HDR tone mapping.

DB9S

I read it on avs a while back, but it won’t include the new HDR optimiser, which for the money is a bit of a joke really, a £15k projector that can’t do HDR properly.

I would stress to anyone who has a pj around this sort of money though that you really need a lumagen to get the absolute best from the unit. I would say that only the Z1/lumagen combo would produce a better image on the market.
But reading everything I can, it doesn't appear to be a new Optimiser, but a new name with the same functioning as a function we already have...:confused:

DB9S

No, the hardware has been updated. They have the new X1 chip (and probably more). This means they have the processing power to do DTM. That is also why DTM is not possible on the earlier models as Sony confirmed today.
Only on the Raptor.
It looks like the current models have the same X1 chip but they just don't wear the label.
Oh Sony would say updated hardware but they know no one is going to open up their 12-15k projector and the a look. Win win for them.
On AVS it had already been said that the DTM is anything but.

bandyka

Its not true dynamic tone mapping like on the JVC its been confirmed.

bandyka

Sony got most likely desperate that they are no longer the king/only one in the native 4K game and saw what JVC have achieved with DTM so guessing they tried to replicate it but they are too late in the game.

linnasak

Anyone got any links to firmware updates for 760? last updated October 19, this gave the optimiser previously only on 870, interesting to know if anything from 790 will trickle down 760 say in a autumn FW update.

Kevin

PascalP

Its not true dynamic tone mapping like on the JVC its been confirmed.
where has this been confirmed? Wondering what is actually does do then?
Would have hoped for some JVC competition :(

bandyka

where has this been confirmed? Wondering what is actually does do then?
Would have hoped for some JVC competition :(
On AVS, someone has been testing a review unit.

DB9S

Sony got most likely desperate that they are no longer the king/only one in the native 4K game and saw what JVC have achieved with DTM so guessing they tried to replicate it but they are too late in the game.
Either that, or their super dee duper X1 chips actually in all reality, simply cannot handle it.

DB9S

Anyone got any links to firmware updates for 760? last updated October 19, this gave the optimiser previously only on 870, interesting to know if anything from 790 will trickle down 760 say in a autumn FW update.

Kevin
That would be great, but I wouldn't hold your breath now a 'new' model is out there. They tend to drop old models quicker than a rat down a sewer once that happens. ;)

linnasak

So new 790 a 760 + some lumagen functionality. Interesting price down to 12k now for laser, so £10k within striking distance with some negotiation. Also you are getting something similar to a £20k spec of previous generation. Await reviews, gives JVC something to think about with N9 pricing!

Kevin

mb3195

Distinguished Member

Kevin
That would be great, but I wouldn't hold your breath now a 'new' model is out there. They tend to drop old models quicker than a rat down a sewer once that happens. ;)
Link to firmware updates of the 760

linnasak

They did give us optimiser from 870 on 760's fw update last year!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic HX800 TV + Sony HT-G700 Soundbar reviews, movie and TV show news and reviews

Trending threads

Latest News

What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for October 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Linn upgrades Majik LP12 turntable with new tonearm
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
VPI announces new Prime 21 turntables
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Skyworth launches 8K Q71 TV