NEWS: Sony announces 360 Reality Audio tracks available in Autumn

Slinkywizard

Sony: Let's do 1,000 tracks mixed in 3D audio
Everyone: Great!
Sony: Yeah, thought you'd like that. And let's make it so you can only listen to it on a single-speaker system
Everyone: Sorry, what?
Sony: Awesome! And let's make it incompatible with every existing object-based speaker system out there
Everyone: But...

Last edited:

Jonno1

Standard Member
Yet another proprietary format from Sony along with other dead ducks of theirs such as Betamax, Elcaset, minidisc etc

crashcris

AVForums absolutely must do a comparison between this single speaker set up and a bog standard 5.1 sacd set up. I want to know on what basis the Sony president can claim that "Sony has architected the most powerful, realistic music experience for listeners". Sounds like the ASA should be looking into such wild claims.

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
Yet another proprietary format from Sony along with other dead ducks of theirs such as Betamax, Elcaset, minidisc etc
Hey watch what your saying about minidisc, its great!

This however......

whitesnake11

I was wondering if this is part of the object based music earphones that they were discussing on the pod a few months ago... where the earphones measured your earing and adapted... Just a thought....
I believe it is.

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
I think while clearly a gimmick the current climate and products is encouraging. The marketing machine is pushing high quality audio and that will help drive adoption. I wouldn't be surprised to see both Apple and Spotify launch at least CD quality tiers in the next two years.

Jonno1

Standard Member
Hey watch what your saying about minidisc, its great!

This however......
Actually, I did like minidisc as over the years I invested in 2 high end players as I found it extremely convenient to record programmes off the radio (remember that?) and the quality was far superior to cassette (remember that?). It's a pity it did not take off.

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
Actually, I did like minidisc as over the years I invested in 2 high end players as I found it extremely convenient to record programmes off the radio (remember that?) and the quality was far superior to cassette (remember that?). It's a pity it did not take off.
Nearly every disc I had was recorded off concerts etc. Recorded and edited every one Single best facility was the editing. Oh my it was brilliant. I still have some blank 1gb discs knocking around somewhere

Like beta max, while it failed horribly Sony's formats were generally better than the competition.

This though is not better. At least not so far.

Jonno1

Standard Member
Nearly every disc I had was recorded off concerts etc. Recorded and edited every one Single best facility was the editing. Oh my it was brilliant. I still have some blank 1gb discs knocking around somewhere

Like beta max, while it failed horribly Sony's formats were generally better than the competition.

This though is not better. At least not so far.
I loved the fact you could connect a PS/2 PC keyboard to the front socket and do all your editing and control of the recorder with that. Oh well...

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
I loved the fact you could connect a PS/2 PC keyboard to the front socket and do all your editing and control of the recorder with that. Oh well...
Sniff. Damn onions.

Trending threads

Top Bottom