NEWS: Sony announce Full HD HDR TVs

Discussion in 'Sony TVs Forum' started by Mark Hodgkinson, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Mark Hodgkinson

Mark Hodgkinson
      Reviewer & News Writer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,403
    2. GhostRider17

GhostRider17

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +384
      This is interesting. I game on a 43" Sony and I've wondered if I would notice the difference in 4K? Supersampled games on my ps4pro look stunning and I know HDR would make them look even better. But then if I was going to buy a new tv I think I'd just go 4k/HDR even at that screen size provided I could find one that uses a VA panel.

3. edd handforth

edd handforth

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +11
      Fine for me as have restrictive space 50'' in old money . I have a panny p46gy30b that only just fits Edd

4. Loopthrough

Loopthrough

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +512
      Hey, long time. I remember you from way back!

The 50" is likely VA from AUO. If that's the case (more than likely) it's possible the 43" is AUO VA too, which would be great to see because AUO make the best VA panels.

There currently is a VA Sony FHD in 40" with HDR in the form of the WE663. It's a Samsung panel.

These FHD Sonys from 2016-2018 are the best FHD picture they've ever produced. The XRealityPRO is the best version I've ever seen in terms of picture detail and depth. OS is most basic they ever had though. The input lag is also extremely low.

5. johngerard

johngerard

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +34
      I recall reading some years ago Joe Kane saying that this new video standard of Rec.2020 should be a container that includes everything, essentially, rather than just a specific, cut-and-dried standard with 2160x3840 only etc. - so 1080x1920 with HDR, if the content creator just wants to do that, and further to that, the TVs should then be able to display whatever its capability is from the same signal that a 4K TV would use. So if the TV is 1080 Rec.709 with HDR, it can do that, and leave the rest of the signal, like HFR or the WCG, for example, behind. One size fits all, I suppose. A tall order, but would have been better in the long run, instead of all the fannying about down the line.

6. Ninja Wolfman

Ninja Wolfman

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +194

I really couldn't tell the difference from 1080p to 4K, unless you sit so close to the screen, at least 55" or bigger.

I've got a 46" 1080p at the current time from 2007, still going strong, use it everyday for gaming.

HDR done right, yes I can see what everyone are saying, it does make a difference as long as the tv can produce it properly, otherwise it looks washed out.

I think a tv with HDR even at 1080p, as most content at the moment is at this resolution, with really good low input lag sounds a great idea, the Xbox One S and PS4Pro would use this to good effect.

7. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +404
      This is certainly an interesting idea. HD is fine for me, but I would welcome a larger screen than I currently have. I've found all 4K TVs way too bright (and yes, I know that many TVs are demoed with retina-burning settings) but thus far, I can't see any real attraction for a 4K TV chez Dye. HD done well looks very good to my ageing eyes, without the upscaling issues that a 4K TV brings. SD upscaled on a 4K set looks poor to me, and HD doesn't look right either. Given that my sources are Freeview, Freesat, Amazon HD and Netflix HD this, on paper, would work well. There's the nagging doubt though that you're effectively locking yourself into old technology, so if 4K does finally take off outside of the Sky/BT/VM paywall then the TV will prevent access to that material, along with new features such as eARC. I guess that it will come down to the specs. and price. Sony TVs have always done DD5.1 passthrough via HDMI/ARC, and I would expect this model to do so too. I do need 4 HDMI inputs though, and an on-board satellite tuner in order to get Freesat would be nice. One to watch, for sure.

I'm glad that I've put off buying a new TV thus far. I'm still in two minds whether to hang fire until the 2019 models surface wth eARC, and the dust has settled on the HDR10/HDR10+/Dolby Vision thing though.

Clem

8. Ninja Wolfman

Ninja Wolfman

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +194
      I was hoping to hear about 12 bit panels this year that can use Dolby Vision in it's true form, not just at metadata format as we currently have.

I think I will be waiting for some time yet.

9. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +404
      In the a/v world, always put off until tomorrow buying something that you could buy today ....

Clem

10. GhostRider17

GhostRider17

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +384
      Hey,wow it has been a long time indeed mate.

I agree,AUO make the best VA panels. The picture on my sony 43w829 is so good still that I'll be happy with it for a while yet. It has great contrast that doesn't look forced,nice deep blacks and low lag!! Perfectly uniform screen,no DSE and all parts are equal brightness. The only defect in the screen is very mild banding which you have to look for on a moving grey background and after going through a few sets of the same model a few years ago I'm not swapping it again and I've had it since new. I do wish passive 3D would make a come back though in the new sets.

Seems the smaller sets are very limited in choice at the mo in regard to 4K/HDR and alot of them tend to be IPS panels. While alot of people seem to find HDR screens over bright which is no use for me as I like to game in a dark room,yes I'm a hermit. I'll see how it evolves over the next few years but to me supersampling on a 1080p looks superb and I'm so glad I got a PS4 PRO. Xboxone X is next at some point this year.

11. GhostRider17

GhostRider17

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +384
      I can't imagine 1080P to 4k is as bigger leap from SD to 1080P anyway but that's just my opinion and due to the fact that I've not seen that many 50" + screens it doesn't count for much. Plus I'm sure HDR will be incredible once they've actually mastered the tech and it becomes the norm,that will be a while yet though I'm sure.

12. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +404
      No, I don't think it is. As I've said a number of times, 4K to me is a solution waiting for a problem. Sure, it looks good, but that much better than HD? Personally, I don't think so, but others will have a different view. Each to their own, I guess.

Clem

13. desinho

desinho

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +191
      They already have these FHD HDR models in the 2017 lineup. The WE75 actually has a Triluminos panel which the WF66 surely won't have ...
      There should be a higher end model coming out this year as well

Sony - BRAVIA - W80F/WF80 Series - HDR TV

14. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +404
      Sony seem to cripple many of their TVs by only fitting two HDMI ports. Really, in 2017/18? My eight year old Sony TV has four ports, and all are in use. It would not surprise me to find that the new WF66 model has the same limitation, and if so, would be a deal-breaker for me.

Clem

15. ray0414

ray0414

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +167
      Total cash grab for Sony. I guarantee the specs for these "hdr" tvs is very low which will hardly qualify it as actual hdr. If Sony actually cared at all about these 1080p hdr tvs, they'd have 1000 nits and 90% color spaces for DCI. I've owned a variety of HDR tvs, 500nits, 1000 nits, and now 1500 nits. The 500 nit was by far the worst because low not hdr tvs have dark pictures. Alot of frustrated early hdr adopters had to upgrade to fix that issue. I'd opt for a brighter hdr tv from a different brand if youre on a budget such as TCL.

16. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +404
      It will come down to the specs. I'm in two minds about this TV anyway. That nagging doubt about buying technology, which, for better or worse, has moved on.

Clem

17. Geoff_D

Geoff_D
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,774
      You never know though ray, they might turn out alright. Personally I think it's a great idea to feed HDR down into 1080p screens.

FWIW the UHD Blu-ray standard includes 1920x1080 as well as 3840x2160 so the content providers could put 1080p HDR 2020 encodes onto disc if they wanted to. They just don't want to. :D

On a side note @Mark Hodgkinson, if I set my Sony and OPPO UHD players to 1080p and connect them to my 4K HDR TV then they output a 1080p HDR signal, so as long as these new 1080p HDR TVs have the requisite HDCP 2.2 encryption and proper HDR signalling for ST.2086 metadata then they should accept a 1080p HDR image from those UHD players just fine.

18. Geoff_D

Geoff_D
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,774
      Just to prove I'm not talking out of my backside re: 1080p HDR output

Sony X800 player into Sony ZD9, TV info bar showing 1080p/24 and TV settings showing HDR

DSC06034.JPG

Same combo, this time with the player's info bar to prove I'm not forcing HDR to 'on' on the TV

DSC06035.JPG

OPPO 203 into Sony ZD9, TV info bar showing 1080p/24 and TV settings screen showing HDR

DSC06032.JPG

Same combo, this time with the player's info screen to prove I'm not forcing HDR to 'on' on the TV

DSC06033.JPG

Bonus kittie photo becuz we all love kitties

DSC06038.JPG

• Thanks Thanks x 3
      • Like Like x 2
      • Funny Funny x 2
      • List
    19. desinho

desinho

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +191
      They don't have HDCP2.2 support and are really only meant to use with a PS4 for gaming (and the internal apps). Also only the ones with a Triluminos panel have good DCI P3 coverage but at the same time don't have a high peak brightness. The non-Triluminos ones can hardly be called HDR capable tv's ...
      The only way to get HDR from other external sources is by decoding and downsizing the output with something like an HDFury Linker.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
    20. Geoff_D

Geoff_D
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,774
      Gotcha, cheers. No HDCP 2.2 is the clincher then.

21. heavymetalmat

heavymetalmat

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +40
      But how do we know your not forcing hdr on the kitties though?