NEWS: Sony AF8 OLED TV pricing announced

been waiting for more details on this set. price looks ok as well. hopefully won't be long before i pull the trigger on this or the a1!

Do we expect the prices on the A1 to drop now?

Doubt it, my understanding is that it's still their flagship OLED model

£3,300 for the 65" AF8, LG have got a lot up catching up to do with pricing.
It can only mean a good thing for the consumer. No doubt price drops will come sooner rather than later on the 2018 LG oleds seeing as though Sony have sensible launch prices. Well done Sony.

I have always been a Sony tv guy, but I cant stand the slow and buggy android platform and I understand that the Sony's have only 2 full fat 18gbs HDMI's ports and the DV vision implementation is only half baked, so I am going for the 2018 LG C8 this year, it will be my first ever non Sony TV, but Sony have the best picture processing engines, oh well I guess you cant have everything!

At least one dealer clams to have the 65in in stock

BRAVIA KD65AF8 65 inch OLED 4K Ultra HD HDR Smart Android TV

I wonder how long it will take for the AF8's to get the DV update

As I had a bit of spare time I had a chat with the seller above
Hi Jxxxxx
When will the Sony 65AF8 get the update needed for Dolby Vision

Have you purchased one from us yet?

ME No but I am thinking about it - I am worried though the A1's took about a year to get the update and then it does not work with Oppo players only the Apple tv box

The AF8 will be Spring / Summer, they rolled out the update to older TVs first.

ME That,s the problem the same was said last year for the A1's it took far longer

Just but that’s because they were working with Dolby. Effectively Sony is the only company to be allowed to put the Vision software on a none Dolby chipset, that’s why there was a big delay.

Egos & money!

Me Ok then if I brought the AF8 and the update did not come come by Sunday 23 September (That is the date the summer ends) could I return the Tv for a refund ?

Ha ha, I would suggest to order from Sony direct. Same with any software from any supplier, be that Apple, Sony or Microsoft.

ME ??

We wouldn’t take a TV back based on a software update date.

My take on this is it is not fair on the buyer, the set is offered for sale with the promise of an update to allow DV in the future. If the update does not come or if it is not fully functioning the buyer takes the hit while the seller walks away saying "nothing to do with me it is down to Sony" Even though the seller is happy to say the set will get an upgrade when it is brought.

Then again that is only my opinion I am sure others will disagree

Last edited:
What are Sony playing at?!?

I really don't understand why Sony would not have the full Dolby Vision capable hardware in the TV from the start? Have they been living under a rock the last couple of years or something lol.

Sony are in the entertainment business, they own studios and film production outlets. Seriously Sony need to sort their television division out!

What are Sony playing at?!?

I really don't understand why Sony would not have the full Dolby Vision capable hardware in the TV from the start? Have they been living under a rock the last couple of years or something lol.

Sony are in the entertainment business, they own studios and film production outlets. Seriously Sony need to sort their television division out!

Maybe that is why the price is so low - it reflects the fact the Tv cannot do and will never be able to do the full DV only DV lite (the chip on the Tv is not good enough)

I don't think DV lite is such an issue - as Apple TV seem to support with Oppo quite soon and I would hope that Panasonic/Sony in their blu-ray players will support DV lite. I must admit the price is very competitive against LG (£1300 cheaper) and some of the feedback from the US has been quite positive - George

I’m really in two minds mate i think it’s going to be this or the Q9
The Samsung Q9 is top of my list for now, but the 88" screen size has to be very well priced to make me move on from my 75"Sony.

I don't think DV lite is such an issue - as Apple TV seem to support with Oppo quite soon and I would hope that Panasonic/Sony in their blu-ray players will support DV lite. I must admit the price is very competitive against LG (£1300 cheaper) and some of the feedback from the US has been quite positive - George

Very positive thinking but AFAIK the LG player does not do DV lite, and suppose Oppo do not come through and the Panasonic/Sony players for what ever reason do not support DV lite then the buyer is left high and dry (assuming he or she wants DV support). But the Tv is at the moment a good price and could be a good purchase for some

Completely agree. I'm not sure what all the fuss is about DV. Its just another gimmick like HLG and HDR. I am more concerned with the continued lack of mainstream UHD viewing available in general. No point in all this new processing tech. if we don't even have widespread UHD to watch, let along things like HDR, DV etc.

Great price for the 65". This is definitely on my short list for this year.
LG should bring the price of the 65" C8 inline with this...IMO £1300 difference for C8 is ridiculous.
Can't wait for the review guys....:)

The Samsung Q9 is top of my list for now, but the 88" screen size has to be very well priced to make me move on from my 75"Sony.
That’s what I’m actually leaning toward

Great price for the 65". This is definitely on my short list for this year.
LG should bring the price of the 65" C8 inline with this...IMO £1300 difference for C8 is ridiculous.
Can't wait for the review guys....:)
It’s LG taking the proverbial, TBH I’m still considering picking up a ZD9 in 75” if I can find on a a good price

I'd be absolutely delighted to be proved wrong, but my understanding was that the United Kingdom, unlike America, would not be getting the Samsung Q9N in the 88" size, the UK will get only the 75" size.

Very positive thinking but AFAIK the LG player does not do DV lite, and suppose Oppo do not come through and the Panasonic/Sony players for what ever reason do not support DV lite then the buyer is left high and dry (assuming he or she wants DV support). But the Tv is at the moment a good price and could be a good purchase for some

It sounds like a bit of a cheat to me. Everybody else has to include the relevant decoding hardware, except Sony, who expect all the UHD source manufacturers to do their job for them. As you say, @dave1956a, any UHD manufacturer who does not implement this leaves the Sony TV owner high and dry or having to replace their players.

Very impressed with the pricing
Well done Sony :thumbsup:
Really puts the cat amongst the pigeons
I can see LG reacting to this quickly and we all win

Lets hope the Google update removes all the bulk in Android TV and streamlines it to remove the crap and speed it up.

Great move by Sony. The LG's seem very over priced in comparison.

Very impressed with the pricing
Well done Sony :thumbsup:
Really puts the cat amongst the pigeons
I can see LG reacting to this quickly and we all win

Lets hope the Google update removes all the bulk in Android TV and streamlines it to remove the crap and speed it up.
Flatpanels review should be out in the next few days, until then my fingers just hovering

I'd be absolutely delighted to be proved wrong, but my understanding was that the United Kingdom, unlike America, would not be getting the Samsung Q9N in the 88" size, the UK will get only the 75" size.
Ooohhhh no !!!
If I'm to upgrade at all it has to be at least bigger than a 75" !!!
LG with there 77" OLED, I just cant justify spending extra cash for 2" in screen size !!

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom