NEWS: Sony A90J release date and pricing announced

I'm normally of the opinion, unless a problem is immediately obvious, don't go looking for problems.
^ This...

If you deliberately go looking, 9/10 you'll find something and then it'll bug you for the duration of ownership.

Probably tons of people who have owned OLED's with issues that probably don't even know they're there to this day, but are just enjoying it regardless.

^ This...

If you deliberately go looking, 9/10 you'll find something and then it'll bug you for the duration of ownership.

Probably tons of people who have owned OLED's with issues that probably don't even know they're there to this day, but are just enjoying it regardless.

Thanks for that affirmation.

I have a C9. I've never had issue with it other than image blur with motion and I've never looked for issue with it either.

I am really excited about getting a Sony OLED.

Finding grid on a white screen is not real viewing although technocrats think it's important. If normal viewing doesn't show up issues then no problem.

^ This...

Spot on this

Where from?
RS. Always @Richer Sounds for me. It feels like I have a batphone sometimes between my local branch.

Six year warranty and black wireless headphones too, although not sure I will use those at all. I'll probably gift those within the family.

Edit; I'll tell you why I always use @Richer Sounds , my wife and I are both physically disabled.

I bought a C8, my first OLED, in 2019 but, after three months there was an issue with it.

I contacted RS at MK, my local branch and they offered me a C9 for just a small difference in price to pay and two of the guys from the shop came to our home, unmounted the C8 and mounted the C9 for me.

They insisted I was happy with my purchase and knowing the difficulties I have, offered to help.

I am very grateful and think they went over and above what is expected of them.

Hence, why always @Richer Sounds for me.

Last edited:
And your outcome is?🧐😀
...I need more money 🤣

But really - 65A90J < 77G1 < 83A90J

Which is obvious I guess, but I'd get the one furthest right I can afford come BF/Xmas/2022

Is the ship blocking the sues canal delaying the a90 arriving here?

Is the ship blocking the sues canal delaying the a90 arriving here?

I'm not certain anybody would be able to answer that with any certainty but, seeing as it is a major trade route and there's something like between 250-300 ships now either side waiting to pass through, it doesn't seem unreasonable to make that leap.

I'm not certain anybody would be able to answer that with any certainty but, seeing as it is a major trade route and there's something like between 250-300 ships now either side waiting to pass through, it doesn't seem unreasonable to make that leap.
... and then on the other hand, you'd like to think that the A90J's are already in the country, have been for some time, but there is a backlog of customs processing the shipment, due to both COVID & Brexit. These would be amongst the first units shipped to the UK that now fall under the new Brexit customs rules, and we all know from previous experience when anything new or different that has been made to a specific system, us Brits have a hard time adapting and coping resulting in the inevitable delays.

... and then on the other hand, you'd like to think that the A90J's are already in the country, have been for some time, but there is a backlog of customs processing the shipment, due to both COVID & Brexit. These would be amongst the first units shipped to the UK that now fall under the new Brexit customs rules, and we all know from previous experience when anything new or different that has been made to a specific system, us Brits have a hard time adapting and coping resulting in the inevitable delays.

I can't argue with your logic.

However, personally I am not going to think about it too much as I've pre-ordered and I don't want to get my hopes up.

For me, it will get here when it gets here.

I've read on here about some poor chaps getting contacted by Curry's several times with regard a delay. I hope I hear from RS just the once, when my order has been dispatched.

Then I'll be cock-a-hoop:clap:.

I just hope if there are indeed some units here in the UK, that AVForums reviewers and Vincent get hold of one, sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
I can't argue with your logic.
Maybe I can argue with my own logic here a little bit... Doesn't quite explain why the LG G1 is seen as 'in-stock' at the same retailer's though, even though it went up on their sites after the A90J?? :confused:

World’s first cognitive intelligence TV, Sony BRAVIA XR Master Series A90J, to go on sale in Europe in March

Pre-orders open for Sony’s best ever 4K HDR OLED TV. The A90J is powered by the revolutionary Cognitive Processor XR™ for unparalleled contrast with extreme brightness and pure blacks

image003.jpg

Sony has announced the European launch window for its innovative BRAVIA XR MASTER Series A90J 4K HDR OLED televisions. The highly anticipated world’s first cognitive intelligence TVhttps://www.avforums.com/x-webdoc://0E99D9AE-B139-4FE6-B507-39F92768D73E#_edn1 in now available to pre-order in select countries in Europe with deliveries expected in late March. The A90J is the flagship OLED model of the new BRAVIA XR series that uses a completely new processing method going beyond conventional AI, designed to replicate the ways humans see and hear.

When we see objects, we unconsciously focus on certain points. Cognitive Processor XR™, powered by cognitive intelligence, divides the screen into numerous zones and detects where the ‘focal point’ is in the picture. While conventional Artificial Intelligence (AI) can only detect and analyse picture elements like colour, contrast and detail individually, the new Cognitive Processor XR can cross-analyse an array of elements at once, just as our brains do. By doing so, all elements are adjusted in conjunction with each other for best final outcome, so everything in the scene is synchronised and lifelike – something that conventional AI cannot achieve.

Cognitive Processor XR can also analyse sound position in the signal so the sound matches precisely with what’s on the screen. In addition, it upconverts any sound to 3D surround sound, to deliver supreme realism with an immersive soundscape. It learns, analyses and understands unprecedented amounts of data and intelligently optimises every pixel, frame and scene for the most lifelike picture and sound Sony has ever delivered. With Acoustic Surface Audio+, the screen is the speaker on this BRAVIA XR 4K OLED TV, matching the sound precisely with what’s on the screen for a truly immersive experience.

BRAVIA XR MASTER Series A90J 4K HDR OLED TVs feature the exclusive BRAVIA CORE service. Included with the purchase of all new BRAVIA XR models, users can enjoy a selection of the latest Sony Pictures Entertainment premium and classic titles and the largest IMAX Enhanced collection. BRAVIA CORE is the first in the industry to feature Pure Stream™ technology, achieving near lossless UHD BD equivalent quality with streaming up to 80 Mbps.

Pricing and availability

The BRAVIA XR MASTER Series A90J 4K HDR OLED TVs in 65” and 55” are available to pre-order now in select European countries and with the 83” to follow later this year.

Model numberUK pricingIrish pricing
A90J 55”£2,699ERP€2,999ERP
A90J 65”£3,499ERP€3,999ERP
A90J 83”£6,999ERP€6,999ERP
Pricing is subject to change, so please check: www.sony.co.uk/www.sony.ie

MASTER Series A90J (83”, 65” and 55” models) OLED TV features:

• Cognitive Processor XR understands how humans see and hear, providing a revolutionary experience that completely immerses viewers in their favourite content
  • XR OLED Contrast adjusts brightness for higher peaks in glare and deeper blacks in shadow while XR Triluminos Pro enables a wider palette to reproduce each colour with the subtle differences seen in the real world
  • XR 4K Upscaling technology upscales 2K signals close to true 4K quality for incredibly real and detailed pictures
  • XR Motion Clarity technology controls moving images precisely to minimise blur so that pictures remain true with less loss in brightness during high speed scenes
  • BRAVIA CORE™[ii]: In collaboration with Sony Pictures Entertainment (SPE), BRAVIA CORE™ is where entertainment meets technology and was developed to add value and showcase unique Sony experiences. Pre-loaded on all new BRAVIA XR models, users can enjoy a selection of the latest SPE premium and classic titles[iii] and the largest IMAX Enhanced collection. BRAVIA CORE is the first in the industry to feature Pure Stream™ technology, achieving near lossless UHD BD equivalent quality with streaming up to 80 Mbps[iv]. Learn more about this collaboration here: https://www.sony.net/bravia-core
  • Quick access to an array of content and services with Google TV[v]
  • Easy connectivity to most devices, including Apple® AirPlay® 2 and HomeKit™[vi]
  • Works with Alexa and Google Assistant
  • Netflix Calibrated Mode offers studio-quality Netflix content, and IMAX® Enhanced™ delivers IMAX remastered picture and immersive audio by DTS[vii]
  • Calman® Ready offers advanced calibration capabilities and the ability to fine-tune adjustments simply not possible through conventional picture settings
  • HDMI 2.1 feature compatibility, including 4K 120fps, Variable Refresh Rate (VRR)[viii], Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM)[ix] and eARC
  • Improved Acoustic Surface Audio+ technology delivers more accurate sound positioning and cinematic surround sound, providing pictures and sound in perfect harmony
  • Support for Dolby Vision® HDR and Dolby Atmos® immersive audio will transform entertainment with ultra-vivid picture quality and incredible moving sound[x]
  • Ambient Optimization optimises picture and sound quality in any environment
  • Two-way stand[xi] provides different stand position options, including a hero position to eliminate distractions and a sound bar position to elevate the TV and integrate a soundbar system
  • Minimalist one slate design with Seamless Edge[xii] bezel embraces the screen in a single pane of glass that’s naturally elegant and keeps viewers focused on the picture without distraction
  • Hands-free voice search works alongside Google Assistant to provide a smarter viewing experience

– ENDS –
The Sony TV operating system and design implementation is flawed which is also a bad user experience.

1, EVERYTIME YOU CHANGE BRIGHTNESS, PICTURE MODE YOU HAVE TO GO THROUGH EXTRA STEPS TO ACKNOWLEDGE AN ECO WARNING. EVEN IF YOU ARE REDUCING BRIGHTNESS.

2, ALSO BBC IPLAYER IS NO LONGER SUPPORTED IN CORRECT ASPECT RATIO SO YOU HAVE TO PLUG IN AN ARIEL. PICTURE IS OTHERWISE STRETCHED AND CROPPED.

3. ANOTHER ISSUE IS DOLBY ATMOS DOES NOT APPEAR SOMETIMES IN NETFLIX AND DISNEY + FOR ATMOS CONTENT. THIS MIGHT GET FIXED - HOPEFULLY.

4. RECENT UPDATE HAS ADDED PROGRAM/CONTENT ADVERTISING/RECOMMENDATIONS AS A GIANT BANNER ON HOMESCREEN THERE IS NO WAY TO GET RID OF IT. Owners are particularly frustrated with this.

The Sony TV operating system and design implementation is flawed which is also a bad user experience.

1, EVERYTIME YOU CHANGE BRIGHTNESS, PICTURE MODE YOU HAVE TO GO THROUGH EXTRA STEPS TO ACKNOWLEDGE AN ECO WARNING. EVEN IF YOU ARE REDUCING BRIGHTNESS.

2, ALSO BBC IPLAYER IS NO LONGER SUPPORTED IN CORRECT ASPECT RATIO SO YOU HAVE TO PLUG IN AN ARIEL. PICTURE IS OTHERWISE STRETCHED AND CROPPED.

3. ANOTHER ISSUE IS DOLBY ATMOS DOES NOT APPEAR SOMETIMES IN NETFLIX AND DISNEY + FOR ATMOS CONTENT. THIS MIGHT GET FIXED - HOPEFULLY.

4. RECENT UPDATE HAS ADDED PROGRAM/CONTENT ADVERTISING/RECOMMENDATIONS AS A GIANT BANNER ON HOMESCREEN THERE IS NO WAY TO GET RID OF IT. Owners are particularly frustrated with this.
1. This is an EU thing isn't it?
2. It never was - side loaded it works perfectly as a standalone app
3. I had noticed that there was no way to see whether the content was Atmos or not
4. When was the update and what is the FW number? I haven't seen reference to an update

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom