NEWS: Sony A90J release date and pricing announced

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
World’s first cognitive intelligence TV, Sony BRAVIA XR Master Series A90J, to go on sale in Europe in March

Pre-orders open for Sony’s best ever 4K HDR OLED TV. The A90J is powered by the revolutionary Cognitive Processor XR™ for unparalleled contrast with extreme brightness and pure blacks

image003.jpg

Sony has announced the European launch window for its innovative BRAVIA XR MASTER Series A90J 4K HDR OLED televisions. The highly anticipated world’s first cognitive intelligence TVhttps://www.avforums.com/x-webdoc://0E99D9AE-B139-4FE6-B507-39F92768D73E#_edn1 in now available to pre-order in select countries in Europe with deliveries expected in late March. The A90J is the flagship OLED model of the new BRAVIA XR series that uses a completely new processing method going beyond conventional AI, designed to replicate the ways humans see and hear.

When we see objects, we unconsciously focus on certain points. Cognitive Processor XR™, powered by cognitive intelligence, divides the screen into numerous zones and detects where the ‘focal point’ is in the picture. While conventional Artificial Intelligence (AI) can only detect and analyse picture elements like colour, contrast and detail individually, the new Cognitive Processor XR can cross-analyse an array of elements at once, just as our brains do. By doing so, all elements are adjusted in conjunction with each other for best final outcome, so everything in the scene is synchronised and lifelike – something that conventional AI cannot achieve.

Cognitive Processor XR can also analyse sound position in the signal so the sound matches precisely with what’s on the screen. In addition, it upconverts any sound to 3D surround sound, to deliver supreme realism with an immersive soundscape. It learns, analyses and understands unprecedented amounts of data and intelligently optimises every pixel, frame and scene for the most lifelike picture and sound Sony has ever delivered. With Acoustic Surface Audio+, the screen is the speaker on this BRAVIA XR 4K OLED TV, matching the sound precisely with what’s on the screen for a truly immersive experience.

BRAVIA XR MASTER Series A90J 4K HDR OLED TVs feature the exclusive BRAVIA CORE service. Included with the purchase of all new BRAVIA XR models, users can enjoy a selection of the latest Sony Pictures Entertainment premium and classic titles and the largest IMAX Enhanced collection. BRAVIA CORE is the first in the industry to feature Pure Stream™ technology, achieving near lossless UHD BD equivalent quality with streaming up to 80 Mbps.

Pricing and availability

The BRAVIA XR MASTER Series A90J 4K HDR OLED TVs in 65” and 55” are available to pre-order now in select European countries and with the 83” to follow later this year.

Model numberUK pricingIrish pricing
A90J 55”£2,699ERP€2,999ERP
A90J 65”£3,499ERP€3,999ERP
A90J 83”£6,999ERP€6,999ERP
Pricing is subject to change, so please check: www.sony.co.uk/www.sony.ie

MASTER Series A90J (83”, 65” and 55” models) OLED TV features:

• Cognitive Processor XR understands how humans see and hear, providing a revolutionary experience that completely immerses viewers in their favourite content
  • XR OLED Contrast adjusts brightness for higher peaks in glare and deeper blacks in shadow while XR Triluminos Pro enables a wider palette to reproduce each colour with the subtle differences seen in the real world
  • XR 4K Upscaling technology upscales 2K signals close to true 4K quality for incredibly real and detailed pictures
  • XR Motion Clarity technology controls moving images precisely to minimise blur so that pictures remain true with less loss in brightness during high speed scenes
  • BRAVIA CORE™[ii]: In collaboration with Sony Pictures Entertainment (SPE), BRAVIA CORE™ is where entertainment meets technology and was developed to add value and showcase unique Sony experiences. Pre-loaded on all new BRAVIA XR models, users can enjoy a selection of the latest SPE premium and classic titles[iii] and the largest IMAX Enhanced collection. BRAVIA CORE is the first in the industry to feature Pure Stream™ technology, achieving near lossless UHD BD equivalent quality with streaming up to 80 Mbps[iv]. Learn more about this collaboration here: https://www.sony.net/bravia-core
  • Quick access to an array of content and services with Google TV[v]
  • Easy connectivity to most devices, including Apple® AirPlay® 2 and HomeKit™[vi]
  • Works with Alexa and Google Assistant
  • Netflix Calibrated Mode offers studio-quality Netflix content, and IMAX® Enhanced™ delivers IMAX remastered picture and immersive audio by DTS[vii]
  • Calman® Ready offers advanced calibration capabilities and the ability to fine-tune adjustments simply not possible through conventional picture settings
  • HDMI 2.1 feature compatibility, including 4K 120fps, Variable Refresh Rate (VRR)[viii], Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM)[ix] and eARC
  • Improved Acoustic Surface Audio+ technology delivers more accurate sound positioning and cinematic surround sound, providing pictures and sound in perfect harmony
  • Support for Dolby Vision® HDR and Dolby Atmos® immersive audio will transform entertainment with ultra-vivid picture quality and incredible moving sound[x]
  • Ambient Optimization optimises picture and sound quality in any environment
  • Two-way stand[xi] provides different stand position options, including a hero position to eliminate distractions and a sound bar position to elevate the TV and integrate a soundbar system
  • Minimalist one slate design with Seamless Edge[xii] bezel embraces the screen in a single pane of glass that’s naturally elegant and keeps viewers focused on the picture without distraction
  • Hands-free voice search works alongside Google Assistant to provide a smarter viewing experience

– ENDS –​

Very competitive pricing especially the 83" 👍

Spotted a typo Phil.
'The furture's bright'

Very competitive pricing especially the 83" 👍
Indeed, though I'm in no rush, this is the first Sony product I've been tempted by since the dying days of Trinitron. Looking forward to seeing it in the flesh.

Last edited:
65A90J here we come...:D:clap:

Pricing is very competitive.
Are Panasonic still going to charge £4.500 for the 65 JZ2000? That looks like it was designed back in the 80’s...:p

LG G1 vs Sony A90J bring it! The reviews will decied wich tv I get :)

Well this is gonna get interesting... Price on the 83 is, obviously, pretty good for those splashing around in those champagne-filled pools (ya lucky buggers) but the 55 and 65 are a slightly harder sell (IMO and before the usual annual price slashing around November time). Going to need to be a pretty big jump to justify almost double the cost of an LG CX (and while likely not such a big gulf it seems likely there may be a £1,000 gap to the C1 when it's announced).

Honestly though the fight I find fascinating in 2021 is these new higher brightness OLED's taking on Samsung's mini LED range. Prices for the 4K flagship in the states are actually cheaper than this year's equivalent were at launch (which, granted, isn't hard.... what was Samsung thinking there?) and initial slightly sketchy reviews look positive. If they really have closed a big chunk of the gap when it comes to blooming and blacks it could be a pretty hard fight to justify the extra money for OLED.

Let's get real here.
No one is going to say there is no improvement when a super duper new processor is in the things.
However, how much better can it really get? Things already look pretty damn great on current TV's.
How much brighter do they need to get before everyone suffers from permanent image retention issues on their retinas?
Also, how the hell does a processor know where I will be looking at the image or what has caught my eye?
It will just be another sharpening/contrast enhancing algorithm that enhances the item on screen that is moving, as it thinks it is the focus of the image. Eight or nine times out of ten it will get it right but it is going to look odd when it doesn't.
A single chip that thinks it can perceive how the human brain does with its trillions of neurons in tow? Give me a break! :facepalm::rotfl:

Considering 65 inch either LG G1 or this A90J for my first upgrade from my last gen Pana Plasma.
G1 would fit flush against wall than the Sony. Never mounted a TV on a wall before but like to hide the cables beneath the wall and get prof installed.

G1 suites better being on the wall where as the Sony looks good in a nice white/cream TV bench/cabinet, which I would get to replace my current grey Ikea bench and get a new one to complement the Sony, if I decide to go with it.

yep 65A90J is the one for us too

Wish this had come in a 77 as well. Maybe next year

Yet another processing mode that faffs around with the picture in real time. What's the point?

I'm happier knowing that my TV has been calibrated and what I'm seeing is how it should look... I don't want a TV's artificial intelligence giving me its own idea of what it thinks is right.

Yet another processing mode that faffs around with the picture in real time. What's the point?

I'm happier knowing that my TV has been calibrated and what I'm seeing is how it should look... I don't want a TV's artificial intelligence giving me its own idea of what it thinks is right.
Don't forget to plug yourself in like the matrix to get the true cognitive experience ha ha

There has been a lot of excitement on this site about these televisions it will be interesting to see it head to head with the equivalent LG

Let's get real here.
No one is going to say there is no improvement when a super duper new processor is in the things.
However, how much better can it really get? Things already look pretty damn great on current TV's.
How much brighter do they need to get before everyone suffers from permanent image retention issues on their retinas?
Also, how the hell does a processor know where I will be looking at the image or what has caught my eye?
It will just be another sharpening/contrast enhancing algorithm that enhances the item on screen that is moving, as it thinks it is the focus of the image. Eight or nine times out of ten it will get it right but it is going to look odd when it doesn't.
A single chip that thinks it can perceive how the human brain does with its trillions of neurons in tow? Give me a break! :facepalm::rotfl:

I'm gonna get the 55" and make the b*stard work for it's money... I can only see out of one eye, the other one does what the hell it wants, pointing in the opposite direction mostly ala Jack Elam.

Follow that Sony!

Do one of the AVForums team get sent a set from the vendors to review before they go GA?

65A90J here we come...:D:clap:

Pricing is very competitive.
Are Panasonic still going to charge £4.500 for the 65 JZ2000? That looks like it was designed back in the 80’s...:p

I will be curious if Panasonic will adjust their prices at launch because of this. Initially Panasonic said it was supposed to come in around the same as last year. If they do make a big adjustment I would say that heat sink's cost was a bit inflated from old Panasonic.

So glad I bought the 77 Ag9 👍🏻
Me too, just saved myself 4 grand. My viewing is 95% SDR anyway so wouldn’t be taking advantage of the extra brightness. Despite that I’d take the A90J over AG9 if they were free since it will be a better set overall, but not four grand better to me. The extra inches on the 83 help to give it a bit more of a wow factor over the 77 AG9.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom