NEWS: Sony A90J release date and pricing announced

zAndy1

Distinguished Member

IL Cattivo

Anyone knows when this TV will be available in UK?
It looks like it all depends on where you order it from. GA for the 55 & 65" models is approx 4 weeks away, however, reports are surfacing that this could be earlier if you order from the Sony Centres.

Barney Gumble

Anyone knows when this TV will be available in UK?

Peter Tyson and Richer Sounds are taking pre-orders, with PT suggesting they'll be available mid-April.

I'm either going for the 55" A90J or the four sided ambilight Philips, as my TV is wall mounted, but I wouldn't dream of buying at launch for two reasons;

cost

reviews

I'd hate to be disappointed to find out I've got an expensive lemon that has issues or isn't suitable for my needs.

Regard reviews, no disrespect to @JSM15 and their link above but, I hold the AVForum reviewers (@Phil Hinton and @Steve Withers ) and Vincent Teoh (from HDTVTest) above everyone else.

Depending on what these guys say, that's where my money goes.

JSM15

Peter Tyson and Richer Sounds are taking pre-orders, with PT suggesting they'll be available mid-April.

I'm either going for the 55" A90J or the four sided ambilight Philips, as my TV is wall mounted, but I wouldn't dream of buying at launch for two reasons;

cost

reviews

I'd hate to be disappointed to find out I've got an expensive lemon that has issues or isn't suitable for my needs.

Regard reviews, no disrespect to @JSM15 and their link above but, I hold the AVForum reviewers (@Phil Hinton and @Steve Withers ) and Vincent Teoh (from HDTVTest) above everyone else.

I agree about reviews. I only posted in the absence of the usual more reputable reviews - it at least gives you an indication of what to expect.

shep1968

cost

reviews

These TVs are now being delivered in the US but the there are no reviews to be had anywhere. Is there an embargo on reviews and when are we likely to see any? I’m in the same position as you.

Barney Gumble

I agree about reviews. I only posted in the absence of the usual more reputable reviews - it at least gives you an indication of what to expect.
Oh absolutely because even that review, it hints at great things.

The reason i didn't go for the current flagship is brightness and lag and that review at least gives me hope the brightness is greatly improved.

Barney Gumble

These TVs are now being delivered in the US but the there are no reviews to be had anywhere. Is there an embargo on reviews and when are we likely to see any? I’m in the same position as you.
As I said above, if PT and RS are expecting stock in mid-April, I'd have thought reviews this side of the pond will be there or there abouts, maybe weeks either side, once the likes of AVForums and HDTVTest get their hands on them.

Isn't there one manufacturer that fell out with AVForums or doesn't supply them with review models?

I'm only going on memory so forgive me if I'm wrong. I can't remember which manufacturer or what hardware type it was now., I just seem to remember it all stemmed from an unfavorable review a long time ago.

Edit; found this

JSM15

Oh absolutely because even that review, it hints at great things.

The reason i didn't go for the current flagship is brightness and lag and that review at least gives me hope the brightness is greatly improved.

Based on the two reviews I've seen, brightness appears to be in the region of 720-780 nits when calibrated.

A noticeable improvement over Sony's previous OLED's but that's only because they have traditionally been the least bright out of all the manufacturers. I think they are normally around the 600 nit mark when calibrated in the correct picture mode.

I am hoping for a brightness improvement on the A80J as that will be more in line with my 65" budget and I really need the narrower stand position on that model.

If there's a big nit difference between those two models then I might go for the 55" A90J. Keen to see what Philips can do with Mini LED too - the Samsung reviews have been very good, though the continual absence of Dolby Vision is a joke.

Barney Gumble

Based on the two reviews I've seen, brightness appears to be in the region of 720-780 nits when calibrated.

A noticeable improvement over Sony's previous OLED's but that's only because they have traditionally been the least bright out of all the manufacturers. I think they are normally around the 600 nit mark when calibrated in the correct picture mode.

I am hoping for a brightness improvement on the A80J as that will be more in line with my 65" budget and I really need the narrower stand position on that model.

If there's a big nit difference between those two models then I might go for the 55" A90J. Keen to see what Philips can do with Mini LED too - the Samsung reviews have been very good, though the continual absence of Dolby Vision is a joke.

I toyed with the idea of a Samsung for whatever the smallest version of nano second is.

It really doesn't matter if a Samsung comes with a lifetime supply of chocolate Hob Nobs and a pass to a knocking shop.

No Dolby Vison = no dice.

DB9S

Hi Everyone,

the following review may be quite helpful, it makes some good points about sound quality...

I love the way that review says:

"Taking picture and sound processing to the next level, Sony’s Cognitive Processor XR marries AI to cognitive intelligence for a picture balance that’s best suited to humans rather than just algorithms".

And yet it does this via algorithms...... :confused:o_O:facepalm::rotfl:

What have older picture balances been best suited too? Pine Weevils?

Nav1984

Standard Member
As I said above, if PT and RS are expecting stock in mid-April, I'd have thought reviews this side of the pond will be there or there abouts, maybe weeks either side, once the likes of AVForums and HDTVTest get their hands on them.

Isn't there one manufacturer that fell out with AVForums or doesn't supply them with review models?

I'm only going on memory so forgive me if I'm wrong. I can't remember which manufacturer or what hardware type it was now., I just seem to remember it all stemmed from an unfavorable review a long time ago.

Edit; found this
I spoke to richersounds yesterday and they told me they are expecting stock at the end of this month.

IL Cattivo

I got a call from curry's today, they'll have them in stock 26th March.
Did they call you because you made an enquiry about the TV or have you already pre-ordered and that's what initiated their contact as part of an update?

IL Cattivo

I got it pre ordered.
That's pretty good from Curry's to update you like that. Kudos to them... :smashin:
Fingers crossed that JL will also have the same dates for being in stock. Although that doesn't necessarily mean that we'll get them on the Friday/Saturday. It may take time for them to check them in and process the orders for dispatch with their delivery dept. The good old knowhow vans..

Still, a bit earlier than expected it has to be said. :thumbsup:

SteveLA

Interesting the date Currys are quoting as I spoke to the Sony Centre yesterday and got told there still not in the country and the date is still the 1st week in April they are due in. Happy if it is the 26th.

DB9S

That's pretty good from Curry's to update you like that. Kudos to them... :smashin:
Fingers crossed that JL will also have the same dates for being in stock. Although that doesn't necessarily mean that we'll get them on the Friday/Saturday. It may take time for them to check them in and process the orders for dispatch with their delivery dept. The good old knowhow vans..

Still, a bit earlier than expected it has to be said. :thumbsup:
Who, out of Curry's, John Lewis or Richer Sounds has the biggest buying power do we think?
My guess is the biggest buyer would normally get them first. Unless they divvy them out of course.

Barney Gumble

Who, out of Curry's, John Lewis or Richer Sounds has the biggest buying power do we think?
My guess is the biggest buyer would normally get them first. Unless they divvy them out of course.

Personally, I would buy from RS regardless. Even if it meant waiting.

Customer service baby, customer service.

tobyadams

Looking to place a pre-order with John Lewis in the next few days for the 55" - it was the included headphones that swayed me. Most expensive television I have ever bought and feels crazy to buy it without seeing it but it looks like the perfect package to me. Had a Sony Bravia for over ten years and still looks great but time for 4K OLED I think - loyal to Sony for the quality we've enjoyed over the past decade.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Samsung's 110-inch Micro LED TV on pre-order at Harrods
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bang & Olufsen introduces Beosound Emerge speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony launches native 4K VPL-VW290ES and VW890ES projectors
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 14th April 2021