NEWS: Sony A90J release date and pricing announced

IL Cattivo

If you don't go looking for issues, the likelihood is you won't see any.
Only if something is glaringly obviously wrong with mine where it detracts from my enjoyment of the viewing experience will I request it be fixed or replaced under its warranty.

Kimberson

Distinguished Member
Is the master series only released every 2 years?

Barney Gumble

Is the master series only released every 2 years?

It's a bit hard to say one way or the other with certainty.

I don't know Sony considered the A1 a master series TV, that came out in 2017, the AF9 (master) series in 2018, the AG9 (master) in 2019, no top tier model in 2020 but, I suspect that was more to do with readying sets for the next gen consoles (obviously Sony have a vested interest in the PS5), as much as anything.

Clearandcolour

Hi Everyone,

the following review may be quite helpful, it makes some good points about sound quality...

This is not a review or test. It's just a talk about the features.. from the list !!

Doomlord_uk

Top of our wishlist... but won't pull the trigger till we also have 4k sources (cough*PS5*cough) and a decent (cough*working*cough) HDMI 2.1-capable AVR. 65" version.

[email protected]

It's a bit hard to say one way or the other with certainty.

I don't know Sony considered the A1 a master series TV, that came out in 2017, the AF9 (master) series in 2018, the AG9 (master) in 2019, no top tier model in 2020 but, I suspect that was more to do with readying sets for the next gen consoles (obviously Sony have a vested interest in the PS5), as much as anything.

The A1 wasn't a master series, but they do replace the A1 with the AG9 Master Series for warranty replacements, so maybe flagship for flagship.

Chippy99

Stupid choice of stand design, Sony. Many people have TV stands not as wide as the TV, meaning they either cannot buy this TV or they need to buy a third party stand. Needless and stupid to put the feet right on the corners.

My system cabinet is plenty big enough but has a slightly raised wooden part - see below - so the TV would not sit level.

csm_BG101G_SB4-1_CT408-85_Lack_kaschmir_Balkeneiche_Struktur_terra_05_76731de08e.jpg

alanjg1

Novice Member
Stupid choice of stand design, Sony. Many people have TV stands not as wide as the TV, meaning they either cannot buy this TV or they need to buy a third party stand. Needless and stupid to put the feet right on the corners.

I couldn’t agree more about the stand and unfortunately I will need to cross this television off of my list because of it. It seems only the 83” model comes with a narrow position for the stand.

i can just about fit the 55“ television in the space for it but would have needed a narrow stand to fit on top of the cabinet where it would be placed. Th A9G had a simple narrow stand that was not noticeable. This is definitely a step backwards for the stand.

jmacc

Distinguished Member
You can get one like the following picture.. It's height adjustable so you could drop the tv height right down so it's basically sitting on the flat part of the stand, would look very much like the AG9 setup then, or just raise a little for a soundbar / centre speaker if needed :)

IMO that would look better than the legs that come with the sony A90J anyway, glad I wall mount my tv's :D

b602bb_01_large.jpg

Barney Gumble

You can get one like the following picture.. It's height adjustable so you could drop the tv height right down so it's basically sitting on the flat part of the stand, would look very much like the AG9 setup then, or just raise a little for a soundbar / centre speaker if needed :)

IMO that would look better than the legs that come with the sony A90J anyway, glad I wall mount my tv's :D

View attachment 1473188
Yer, I’m with you, mine are wall mounted too.

The thought of putting a TV on a unit overhanging the ends fills me with dread.

It wouldn’t last long in our home at all:facepalm:.

jmacc

Distinguished Member
Yer, I’m with you, mine are wall mounted too.

The thought of putting a TV on a unit overhanging the ends fills me with dread.

It wouldn’t last long in our home at all:facepalm:.
My girls would knock my tv within the hour :rotfl:

SimonST

Distinguished Member
Should be a Reddit page for the biggest TVs on the narrowest units :D

Chippy99

View attachment 1473188
Pretty revolting though isn't it. I could wall mount it but with the cabinet config I have - as per the picture above - it would have to be only maybe 10 cm above the stand. Which means it's a whole load of hassle cutting holes for hidden cables etc for zero benefit. Also the stand is wall-mounted and bolted together so I have to take all the AV gear out and take it to pieces. In short, a monumental load of work just because of the stupid stand design.

The end result is I will probably just buy a Panasonic instead. Which is a shame the Sony has ruled itself out by a silly design choice.

Last edited:

Chippy99

Looking more closely, it has 2 leg positions - 1 where the legs extend beyond the TV and the TV is pretty much flat on the stand. The other where the legs are within the boundaries of the TV and the TV is raised up a bit to accommodate a sound bar. In this latter position, it might be just about OK for me. I doubt it, but it might.

Either way, it's a really stupid idea putting the stand anywhere other than in the centre of the TV. Bonkers.

1615283482500.png

kevjp

I'm having to order 3rd party stand. There's one in screwfix for £60. Swivel too. I'll get sony shop to fit for me with tv installation.

Chippy99

I'm having to order 3rd party stand. There's one in screwfix for £60. Swivel too. I'll get sony shop to fit for me with tv installation.
I guess it depends on your particular setup but they are usually so bloody ugly and because they have to be adjustable, the brackets on the back are usually very thick. This is a problem for me because the door to the lounge opens up with you looking at the side of the TV, so if it's far off the wall with some industrial gantry hold it up, it looks bloody awful with all the wires etc and it's the first thing you see when you enter the room.

Maybe I can find a workaround but more than likely it just rules the Sony out, which is a shame.

Barney Gumble

Looking more closely, it has 2 leg positions - 1 where the legs extend beyond the TV and the TV is pretty much flat on the stand. The other where the legs are within the boundaries of the TV and the TV is raised up a bit to accommodate a sound bar. In this latter position, it might be just about OK for me. I doubt it, but it might.

Either way, it's a really stupid idea putting the stand anywhere other than in the centre of the TV. Bonkers.

View attachment 1473286
b46ac8f8ac54b604875be859e665e2f4

Your image is referred to by Sony as the soundbar arrangement for the legs.

The 83" can have its legs positioned in the middle.

I actually quite like the monolithic approach with the legs at the end but, my TV's are wall mounted anyway and so never use the legs/base.

Chippy99

b46ac8f8ac54b604875be859e665e2f4

Your image is referred to by Sony as the soundbar arrangement for the legs.

The 83" can have its legs positioned in the middle.

I actually quite like the monolithic approach with the legs at the end but, my TV's are wall mounted anyway and so never use the legs/base.
So Sony are pitching the leg design at a demographic who will wall-mount anyway ;-) Brilliant!

SimonHavfc

Distinguished Member

View attachment 1473188

Looks like a good option many thanks.
Do you know the make/model etc?

jmacc

Distinguished Member
I'm just glad I wall mount my TVs :rotfl:
Only 2 or 3 inches above my av cabinet but nice and out of the way, all wires in the wall. nice clean look IMO.
None of this mounting above the fireplace near the ceiling carry on 🤢

JSM15

Now listed on the John Lewis website - expected delivery within 5wks.

Free WH-1000XM3 headphones worth £239 for pre-orders.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Netflix UK for June 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 12th May 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Bluesound unveils new generation of Node and Powernode audio players
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Naim launches Uniti Atom Headphone Edition