NEWS: Sony 8K Z9J and 4K A90J, A80J, X95J and X90J TVs launched

SonOfSJ Thanks for your private message, this gives another insight, after reading your PM i went back to a TV store.

In this shop there was a 77A80J next to the 85X95J, I was allowed to change all settings (problem with 99% of the shops is that they put all TV on bright mode which is far from ideal) there was tennis on both TVs, I also got to see Yt demos and a piece of film.

Had put the same settings on the X95J as on my A77J this didn't work, then put the X95J on default mode and this looked pretty good in the store, sdr tennis/serie, 4k demo, Yt 1080 Matrix Trailer there was no visible blooming to notice.

1 on 1 comparison in terms of black Oled is the master, but the Sony X95J was not bad at all , if you look at the X95J separately I found it was quite a very good TV.

I also realize for colors etc is personal taste and that an Isf calibration is very important, I think a well calibrated X95J will give a very good picture compared to an standaard Oled.

I'm going to take the gamble and exchange the 77A80J for an 85X95J, I also have a 14-day exchange right, if i don't like the X95J in the end i will buy the Lg83C14 or maby the 83A90J if the price drops abit.

Prices in our country (the Netherlands/Belgium) are nice at the moment
-Sony 85X95J after cashback €2499 (stunning price)
-Lg83C14 after cash back €3999
-Sony 83A90J after cashback €4549
Save more money and get 83 inch oled xj will have blooming and black bars problem and will drive you mad

What was wrong with a80j I have 77A80J and I love it
There is nothing wrong with the 77A80J although I sometimes find it a bit too dark but this is a matter of correct settings, but I want a larger screen, I come from a 260cm wide projector screen, we first wanted a 77Oled with an Epson tw9400 with Alr screen for movies/action series but we decided to drop the Projector option.

77" is just too small for me especially in 2:35:1 material 82/85" is acceptable to me.

Prices in our country (the Netherlands/Belgium) are nice at the moment
-Sony 85X95J after cashback €2499 (stunning price)
-Lg83C14 after cash back €3999
Before I explode with anger at Continental prices compared to those in the UK, please tell me what the cashback is and how much it is per television?

So if I'm understanding correctly, the prices without cashback would be, for instance:
Sony 85X95J 2999 Euros. Using the handy Reuters conversion website, we find that today one Euro is £0.8553, here:
Euro converter Thu 4 Nov 2021.jpg

So the prices become, without cashback;
  1. Sony LCD 85X95J, 2999 Euros, = £2565;
  2. LG OLED 83C14, 4299 Euros = £3677;
  3. Sony OLED 83A90J, 5299 Euros = £4532.
Of course, I and everyone else in the UK are annoyed at these prices. Somehow, when it comes to consumer electronics, prices in the UK are noticeably higher than in Europe, and also noticeably higher than in North America - the UK gets screwed in both directions, or perhaps allows itself to be screwed by both Europe and by North America. Whatever arguments we hear about why prices are more expensive in the UK than in North America, those arguments somehow don't seem to apply to prices in continental Europe. which are also cheaper than in the UK, grrr!!

In grotesque contrast to the prices at the Holland / Belgium border, these are the current prices at both Richer Sounds and John Lewis in the UK for the same items:

1. Sony LCD 85X95J, £3999, see this screen save -
    Sony 85X95J television at Richer Sounds 4 Nov 2021.jpg
  2. LG OLED 83C114, £5499;
  3. Sony OLED 83A90J, £6499.
The UK prices are around 50% - half as much again - more than in at least one place in continental Europe. This is insupportable.

Yes Brexit has screwed you up on prices, there is no competition from the Eu shops anymore
I have always bought alot from the Uk in the past for my other hobby (carp fishing) but that is also over,EU customers hardly buy anything in the UK online now because of the extra import fee and tax.

I better dont tell the price i payed for my 77A80J oled, oh yeah on all those Sony tv"s with money cashback here Sony also give an extra €100 for you playstation account

Yes Brexit has screwed you up on prices, there is no competition from the Eu shops anymore
I have always bought alot from the Uk in the past for my other hobby (carp fishing) but that is also over,EU customers hardly buy anything in the UK online now because of the extra import fee and tax.

I better dont tell the price i payed for my 77A80J oled, oh yeah on all those Sony tv"s with money cashback here Sony also give an extra €100 for you playstation account
Doubt it as the prices have been like this for many years. But I am sure 5-10% price hike could be due to Brexit

I would bite 85X95J or 77A80J at £2999

Well, I doubt that Richer Sounds are following this thread and my moan in post #3734, but yesterday some of their prices of the three televisions that @Funky22 mentioned dropped as follows:
  1. Sony LCD 85X95J, dropped £200, now £3799 (but still a long way to go before @Igans316 bites);
  2. LG OLED 83C114, no change, still £5499;
  3. Sony OLED 83A90J, down £700 to £5799, which takes it much closer to the identically-sized LG OLED.
But as consumers we are always greedy and want more and more for less and less. When my Sony 75ZD9 television was released in (I think) late 2016, its price was £7000. I got mine in January 2018 for £5199 from Richer Sounds having spent over a year watching its price gradually drop, and I finally bought it only when it was about to go out of stock. So now, approaching five years later, the Sony top OLED, at 83 inches rather than my 75-inch LCD, is only £600 more than I paid, and is OLED technology! And the OLED may come down yet further. But even if I stick to LCD technology, my 75ZD9 was £5199 in January 2018, and now the 85X95J, ten inches larger, is £1,400 less than I paid! And people were quite happy to pay around £6000 for the Sony 75ZD9 in 2017, but @Igans316 won't bite until a machine ten inches larger is half the price.

For myself, I'll be getting either the Sony 85X95J or the Sony OLED 83A90J next year, and yes, I'll wait and wait for the price to drop as much as possible until it's about go out of stock, then I'll bite.

Hallo Funky22. Where did you find that price for the 83A90J? I was thinking to get one myself, but I cannot find any retailer with that pricing. Thanks.

Do these TVs play Dolby Atmos from an Xbox console without audio delay? I know on the XH90, when the first HDMI 2.1 firmware arrived, there was a delay and it couldn't be solved by changing settings.

Last edited:
About X95J. There are four HDMI ports. Two of them are 2.1.

Are they the first and the second?
Or the third and fourth?

I got my 83A90J today (thanks @Funky22 for sharing the deal details). I noticed on the bottom bezel in the center there are 2 holes that look kinda cheap. Am I missing a part or is this suppose to be like this? Between the two holes there is a IR receive/On/Off light. See picture attached.

20211110_135843_2.jpg

Are there any owners of the X95J 65 incher yet ? Really keen to try this TV soon and the review here looks very good

I am especially interested in knowing if the 65 suffers from the visible grid array that some are reporting on avsforum especially for the 85 inch as it appears that owners of the 65 say that it doesn't

Any word on when to expect expect vrr on the 2021 models? It's getting closer to the end of year date that was stated

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom